Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I did a few backups with my 15pm, and can confirm that the disk speed, according to iStat Menus, is not even close to the theoritical 10Gbps (1250MB/s). However the sustained peak was somewhere 200MB/s+, so it defo isn't "just USB 2.0 speed".

AND, I have used both a 20Gbps USB3.2 gen2 cable, and a TB4 cable, both are 3rd party of course, the speeds are identical.

edit: wrong math.

Last edited:

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Yes, it’s kind of crazy that the issue does not make more titles.
I just saw this other Reddit thread on the topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/16vddh1

I never in my real life had anyone - as in ever - complain about lack of transfer speed on their iPhone.

And the ones that should, who have tons of pics and videos of their kids, never seem to back up the phone. They just keep them there and start anew with a new phone (this is my sister).

Girlfriend is the same thing. Gave her my iPhone that is better than her old Android and she doesn’t want to transfer old photos and video to the new phone, even though it’s on a micro SD card.

Only YouTubers bitched about it, and it was a legitimate issue but just for them. Apart from that nobody cares and that is the reality and Apple knows it…

jakeuten

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota
IMG_5109.jpeg
IMG_5110.jpeg

Decided to backup my phone the other night and this was what I was seeing. About 1/8 the speed of USB 3.1, but still a massive improvement.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

FlintD

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
Toronto, Canada
Decided to backup my phone the other night and this was what I was seeing. About 1/8 the speed of USB 3.1, but still a massive improvement.

What Mac and what cable?

I’ve recently tried connecting my m1 air with my m1 iPad Pro with an official Thunderbolt 3 cable and I only get 10Gbps reported but I only get USB 2.0 speed transferring a file into FILES. Both have Thunderbolt ports so why the slowness.

FlintD

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
Toronto, Canada
What Mac and what cable?

I’ve recently tried connecting my m1 air with my m1 iPad Pro with an official Thunderbolt 3 cable and I only get 10Gbps reported but I only get USB 2.0 speed transferring a file into FILES. Both have Thunderbolt ports so why the slowness.

This problem has been around for a while now it seems…

Now it’s with the iPhone and the Mac.

dchoco

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2023
I did a few backups with my 15pm, and can confirm that the disk speed, according to iStat Menus, is not even close to the theoritical 10Gbps (125MB/s). However the sustained peak was somewhere 200MB/s+, so it defo isn't "just USB 2.0 speed".

AND, I have used both a 20Gbps USB3.2 gen2 cable, and a TB4 cable, both are 3rd party of course, the speeds are identical.
you mean 1250MB/s ?

Reactions: Chancha

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 12.27.34.png
Today I am doing my routine iPhone > Finder backup, checked the transfer speed out and figured you guys may want to see:
iPhone 15 Pro Max 512GB
to
Mac Studio M1 Max base 512GB
with
ACASIS TB4 cable that came with TBU405 NVMe enclosure
macOS is still at Monterey 12.7 (as this is a mission critical machine so I am not risking it with Ventura and Sonoma yet)

According to System Profiler, the negotiated USB speed of the iPhone is 10Gbps.
The backup was quick, much faster than I ever remembered on previous iPhones as late as my other 13 Pro. You can tell from the iStat Menus graph, the writing speed to the Mac SSD means how much the iPhone is actually putting out, at 421MB/s (byte) is 3368Mbps (bit), so just 1/3rd of what is the theoretical speed. Granted backing up is more of a random access process than sequential, maybe transfer a single large file like a video can get better speed, but I can make do with 400MB/s for the rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.