Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harvey12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
Hi,

I'm new to the forum here. and i am having an issue that is starting to occur more and more over the last few days.

With the Macs, InDesign files are created and edited on a day to day basis and some times when one of these files gets saved it will then become invisible on the Mac but totally visible and normal when looking at the file on a windows machine.
These files are saved on a windows network drive.

These can also randomly get turned invisible.

I ma going to test with deleting caches tomorrow on a test mac but does anyone here have any idea of how to prevent this. To fix the issue i have to go onto a mac and show invisible files to then re-save under a different name so it is not invisible. Then delete the invisible file. (I cant have invisible files showing all the time as it is too messy.)

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Harvey

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
It would be some kind of file/SMB share permission/attribute issue I would think. Something along the lines of the windows box saving the file hidden to the user logging in from the Mac. Now as you know that should not be happening as you can seemingly edit/rename the file once it is not hidden on the share so it definitely is strange one as you have the permission to do that.

harvey12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
Hi,

If it was a permission issue why is it not happening on all files when they are saved. It is just some of them, out of 20 files i would day that at least 2 will get hidden?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Now I really have no clue why it is going on just that it is. A file not showing up to me on a share suggest permission issue but then it should never have been allowed to copy to it to start with with improper permission. A catch 22 or which came first chicken or egg deal, one of those crazy times when you would just love to smash the computers to bits. When it happens again on the Mac open a Terminal then type in and hit enter key ls -l /Volumes/Share_Name/path/to/directory/storing/files/ to look at the permission on all the files in that directory to see if there is any clue. Oh easy way to do it type the ls -l then drag and drop the directory to Terminal then the path will be the in a proper form if there are spaces in the directory that need to be escaped.

harvey12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
Now I really have no clue why it is going on just that it is. A file not showing up to me on a share suggest permission issue but then it should never have been allowed to copy to it to start with with improper permission. A catch 22 or which came first chicken or egg deal, one of those crazy times when you would just love to smash the computers to bits. When it happens again on the Mac open a Terminal then type in and hit enter key ls -l /Volumes/Share_Name/path/to/directory/storing/files/ to look at the permission on all the files in that directory to see if there is any clue. Oh easy way to do it type the ls -l then drag and drop the directory to Terminal then the path will be the in a proper form if there are spaces in the directory that need to be escaped.
Hi,

Thanks anyway,
I will give that terminal command a go now as i have kept 3 of the files in a test directory in the hidden state.
I have even tried installing software and trying commands that un-hide the files so it is in a visible state. On the desktop this works fine but on the network share it just turns back to being hidden in the software setting. Using InvisibliX

I will let you know what happens when i try the command anyway
[doublepost=1479900395][/doublepost]All the permissions seem to look the same in there. Nothing stands out to be different for the hidden files to the normal working files
[doublepost=1479900734][/doublepost]We are running on Mountain Lion OSX btw

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
All the permissions seem to look the same in there. Nothing stands out to be different for the hidden files to the normal working files
--- Post Merged, 45 minutes ago --- We are running on Mountain Lion OSX btw

Damn that is a strange one indeed. Can you test an upgraded OSX version?
It could be ML is having problems with an outdated SMB in its install.

harvey12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
Yeah it is indeed.

I was thinking this too but all macs here are on Mountain Lion. I have a test mac but wouldn't really want to upgrade it as it is also a spare. Is there any way to test this virtually on the mac such as a virtual machine?

Thanks,

Harvey

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Yeah it is indeed.

I was thinking this too but all macs here are on Mountain Lion. I have a test mac but wouldn't really want to upgrade it as it is also a spare. Is there any way to test this virtually on the mac such as a virtual machine?

Thanks,

Harvey

Real easy way take external hard drive download installer and use it as target of the install. Alternatively use Disk Utility to resize internal HD on test/backup machine install to that new partition.

harvey12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
Would it be an issue to partition the drive and install mountain lion on the partition (so two partitions with mountain lion) then update one of them to the newest? Would this work?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Would it be an issue to partition the drive and install mountain lion on the partition (so two partitions with mountain lion) then update one of them to the newest? Would this work?

No issue at all the only real problem you can run into in situation like this is if you partition with newer version of OSX then try to partition later with older it will give you error. Then of course the recovery partition would be updated with new install that is why I mentioned external for testing so its recovery will be the new OSX not your internal drive should have mentioned that before.

harvey12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
No issue at all the only real problem you can run into in situation like this is if you partition with newer version of OSX then try to partition later with older it will give you error. Then of course the recovery partition would be updated with new install that is why I mentioned external for testing so its recovery will be the new OSX not your internal drive should have mentioned that before.
Hi,

I have a backup anyway of the complete mac.

Struggling to get the mac to boot form my USB with mountain lion installer on though, keep hanging with spinning circle

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Well you are having a fun one, try the Command and V keys at the same time held down during startup to get a text boot so you can see where it is hanging up. You may need to go to Startup disk and select the installer as the one needed for starting from as I do not think you can hold down the Option key that is needed to select the installer at the same time.

harvey12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
Got it to install but when going to upgrade to the new OS for free, the mac does not meet requirements because it is a early 2008 and minimum us late 2009 ahaha my luck again. Do you know if i bought the new software if it would install on my mac?

harvey12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
Thanks for the links, If i need to test the issue further i might get one but for now i guess the issue will have to stay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.