Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antanast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Hi everyone. I enabled Filevault for my main drive (SSD) and the two HDDs connected (1TB each). After running for a few hours, I wanted to restart the system.

The screen went off, but the system has been "restarting" for more than 2 days. I can hear the 2 HDDs, working non-stop which probably means that Filevault is still working them out? But for 2 days??

The question is, should I force shut it down or just let it run hoping that the encryption process will complete at one point?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
did you restart before Filevault completed, or did you restart in the middle of encryption?
do you have any system clones?

It can take several days for Filevault to disable encryption on system SSD alone. Went through this several months ago on two client 5,1 machines. Set up on a Friday and was still going Monday evening. Believe those system SSDs were 250GB or 500GB each and connected via SATA. Recall Filevault taking about the same amount of time to turn off on my 5,1 SSD (via PCIe adapter) before I upgraded GPU to GTX 1080 FE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.