Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M3Jedi77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
OK, before I return this thing (like easily more than 50% of us Vision Pro owners are about to do), I'm going to give it 1 last shot with a BoboVR headset. This would take 100% (yes, 100%) of the weight off your face. Seriously can't believe Apple designed such a poorly balanced headset, but such is life.

The Reddit thread below on from 1 of the few guys who have done this mod. I'm sure BoboVR (and many others) are creating halo straps as we speak. In the meantime, $50.00 isn't much to make this thing useful in the NOW. Mine comes Tuesday.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VisionPro/comments/1ahdrej

Anyone have their own suggestions / thoughts?

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 11.12.53 PM.png

M3Jedi77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
The #1 complaint about this thing is comfort and no one is interested in having 0 weight on their faces? lol people.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
The #1 complaint about this thing is comfort and no one is interested in having 0 weight on their faces? lol people.

not all experiences are universal.. it's not my complaint. I wore mine with the solo band for 5 hours straight without any discomfort or pain. I was aware of it yes, but didnt bother me. I then tried the dual band the next day and can't honestly say it made it better or worse. I get its not the same for everyone. This thing does look interesting though and I will follow it closely if it makes it easier to get on and off :)

OK, before I return this thing (like easily more than 50% of us Vision Pro owners are about to do)

You mean 50% of the 'owners' in MR? Shrugs. I don't intend to return mine and I suspect the actual return rate will be much much lower. Time will tell. My guess is the people that are enjoying there's are too busy to be fighting the haters here in the forums. Anyone that makes a positive comment out of experience is jumped on. But I absolutely get that it's not for everyone. Definitely a gen 1 device with rough edges. So no shade on you from me if you return it. That sounded strange, hopefully you appreciate the spirit it was intended.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
OK, before I return this thing (like easily more than 50% of us Vision Pro owners are about to do),

You're delusional if you think "easily" 50% or more are going to return this thing. I would wager that the vast majority of returns are people who never intended to keep it, (possibly because they can't afford it) but just wanted an extended demo period.

I've had a blast with mine so far and haven't even given a single second to the thought of returning it. This thing is so freaking cool!

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
Great creativity! Did you 3D print these? Im counting on 3rd party options to make the VP more comfortable.

Reactions: rhemy123

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
I love the AVP and expect more apps will make it even better.

But I am contemplating returning because the strap gives me a head ache if I keep it longer than 30 min. For $4K I expect longer usage.

Has anyone heard of any third party straps which are coming out?
If not I could return it and re buy once a better strap comes along.
Thx

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
Thank you. I am not handy. Are there any instructions on how to install this. Can I just order this from amazon

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I think it just takes some time to get used to it. I find myself being able to go longer and longer with it on. I’m just taking it slow.

Reactions: G5isAlive

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
I love the AVP and expect more apps will make it even better.

But I am contemplating returning because the strap gives me a head ache if I keep it longer than 30 min.
Most people get a headache from using this thing after 30 minutes, and it has nothing to do with the straps.

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
I tried reclining against a sofa back or bed and it took the pressure off my face a bit.
i looped a belt through the back strap to yank it down with my hand which effectively took the weight off my face.

i think I need to wait for someone to start selling this Bobovar strap

Josh Puetz

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
Sturgeon Bay, WI
FWIW as an alternative to the dual solo band loop mod, I've been using an old topstrap I had from my quest 2 with the solo loop: feels great!

Reactions: M3Jedi77

azcoyote

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
I went with the dual Solo band comfort mod. I used gray Velcro one wrap ties to attach the top Solo band. The gray Velcro nicely matches the gray of the Solo band. This mod has greatly improved comfort! No longer feeling any pressure on my forehead or cheeks with the Solo band. I've been wearing my AVP today for hours using it as a monitor replacement for remote work. Haven't yet felt any discomfort.

IMG_6421.jpeg

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I went with the dual Solo band comfort mod. I used gray Velcro one wrap ties to attach the top Solo band. The gray Velcro nicely matches the gray of the Solo band. This mod has greatly improved comfort! No longer feeling any pressure on my forehead or cheeks with the Solo band. I've been wearing my AVP today for hours using it as a monitor replacement for remote work. Haven't yet felt any discomfort.

View attachment 2347025
Link to the one wrap ties?

M3Jedi77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007

View attachment 2347025
This seems like a nice alternative (at least until we get some classy 3rd party straps).

I'm currently using the dual solo 3D mod. It doesn't quite work right / blocks the speakers some.
https://www.reddit.com/r/VisionPro/comments/1ajt71x

Reactions: cappyd

azcoyote

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
This seems like a nice alternative (at least until we get some classy 3rd party straps).

I'm currently using the dual solo 3D mod. It doesn't quite work right / blocks the speakers some.
https://www.reddit.com/r/VisionPro/comments/1ajt71x

I thought about ordering that 3D printed attachment, but I found that the top Solo band is easier to adjust over the top of my head (the sweet spot) if I attach the band with the Velcro ties further back past the white plastic.

Reactions: M3Jedi77

PhilippLA

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014

View attachment 2347025
This looks great! I’m currently using 33W and I just feel too much pressure on my check bones with my Apple dual loop. If I yank the back strap down a bit more with my hand it relieves the pressure cause the bottom of the headset seems like it is tilting inwards to my face too much.

Do you think your setup would help with this?

azcoyote

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
This looks great! I’m currently using 33W and I just feel too much pressure on my check bones with my Apple dual loop. If I yank the back strap down a bit more with my hand it relieves the pressure cause the bottom of the headset seems like it is tilting inwards to my face too much.

Do you think your setup would help with this?
I'm sure it would help. Have you tried getting a light seal re-fitting at an Apple Store? When I pre-ordered my AVP, the initial face scan gave me a 33W. But when I went to the Apple Store last Friday to pick it up and did the demo using a 33W light seal, it did not work for me. Felt too much pressure on my face with considerable light bleeding at the bottom. They re-scanned my face at the store and this time the measurement was a 21W. The 21W light seal was a much better fit. Even with the 21W, I would still end up feeling some pain on the forehead using the solo band when using the AVP for an extended period. The dual loop helped somewhat. I would still find myself readjusting the bands when trying to wear the AVP for an extended time, like watching a movie. Getting the 2nd solo loop band for the top of my head ended up relieving all discomfort. I can wear my AVP for hours and not feel the slightest bit of pressure on my forehead or face. It was definitely worth the $99. I'm sure third party headbands will show up soon that are just as comfortable and cost much less.

PhilippLA

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
I'm sure it would help. Have you tried getting a light seal re-fitting at an Apple Store? When I pre-ordered my AVP, the initial face scan gave me a 33W. But when I went to the Apple Store last Friday to pick it up and did the demo using a 33W light seal, it did not work for me. Felt too much pressure on my face with considerable light bleeding at the bottom. They re-scanned my face at the store and this time the measurement was a 21W. The 21W light seal was a much better fit. Even with the 21W, I would still end up feeling some pain on the forehead using the solo band when using the AVP for an extended period. The dual loop helped somewhat. I would still find myself readjusting the bands when trying to wear the AVP for an extended time, like watching a movie. Getting the 2nd solo loop band for the top of my head ended up relieving all discomfort. I can wear my AVP for hours and not feel the slightest bit of pressure on my forehead or face. It was definitely worth the $99. I'm sure third party headbands will show up soon that are just as comfortable and cost much less.
This gives me hope! I like the Vision Pro but the discomfort is killing me! I’m in Europe so I can get a quick re-fitting. I did, however, have the foresight to order both the 33W and 21W! While the 21W has a lot less light bleed around the nose for me the 33W is more comfortable. More comfortable, unfortunately, still isn’t comfortable. Lol

So I may as my buddy to send me another solo loop alongside my prescription inserts.

I assume you used the Small solo loop for three top?

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
my vision came with a 21W light seal. I thought it was really comfortable After using a quest for years. I thought there was light leakage though due to the glare problem so apple sent me a 21N. THAT one definitely gives me cheek pain. so it must have a lot to do with the light seal. as for the bands I love the solo band. there dual seems like too much trouble for too little reward.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
Have absolutely NO ISSUE with weight and think the complainers and those that are returning this for that reason are baby’s.
Those with much “fuller” faces tend not to feel the discomfort due to the extra support of headset on their face.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.