Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViperrepiV

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
I went with the dual Solo band comfort mod. I used gray Velcro one wrap ties to attach the top Solo band. The gray Velcro nicely matches the gray of the Solo band. This mod has greatly improved comfort! No longer feeling any pressure on my forehead or cheeks with the Solo band. I've been wearing my AVP today for hours using it as a monitor replacement for remote work. Haven't yet felt any discomfort.

View attachment 2347025

I got an extra S knit band to thry the 3D printed clips. They didn’t quite work for me. I’m goign to try this more low-tech solution next - I have a few cable management Velcro bands I can harvest from around the home

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
I got an extra S knit band to thry the 3D printed clips. They didn’t quite work for me. I’m goign to try this more low-tech solution next - I have a few cable management Velcro bands I can harvest from around the home
I just tried it using velcro. To be honest, the extra support on the top of the head made a huge difference. And it's better than the duo loop band because the solo knit band allows for more adjustment at the back of the head and tends not to slide up. This set up is not pretty....but until an official 3rd party makes some attractive and comfortable head straps....I'll settle for this. I'll just wear a hoodie😂😂😂

Reactions: ViperrepiV

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
I just tried it using velcro. To be honest, the extra support on the top of the head made a huge difference. And it's better than the duo loop band because the solo knit band allows for more adjustment at the back of the head and tends not to slide up. This set up is not pretty....but until an official 3rd party makes some attractive and comfortable head straps....I'll settle for this. I'll just wear a hoodie😂😂😂
My major complaint is also the weight. Unless the dual loop is carefully adjusted, it gives me what I first thought to be eyestrain - a definite return-it problem - but turned out to be the weight on my upper face muscles that were stressed to keep my eyes wide open.

I can see a major plus for a third party band with BIG straps and lots of velcro. Since that has not and may not happen, I am trying my own adaptation - or at least sketching out something that might move the weight from forward to upwards.

ViperrepiV

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Velcro cable ties work. This the way

Attachments

• IMG_2734.jpeg
    IMG_2734.jpeg
    840 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2740.jpeg
    IMG_2740.jpeg
    942.3 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: BayouTiger

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
My major complaint is also the weight. Unless the dual loop is carefully adjusted, it gives me what I first thought to be eyestrain - a definite return-it problem - but turned out to be the weight on my upper face muscles that were stressed to keep my eyes wide open.

I can see a major plus for a third party band with BIG straps and lots of velcro. Since that has not and may not happen, I am trying my own adaptation - or at least sketching out something that might move the weight from forward to upwards.
I hope some third-party thinks there's enough of a market to produce a much better band. I can wear the AVP with the single loop for about 30 minutes before the weight gets to me. The dual loop is much better, but I find it hard to adjust so the seal is sufficiently tight without putting too much pressure on my face.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
^^
Or maybe a single band kind of splitting the distance where the two are now? I saw someone mention using it that way and making a surprising difference.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Trying everything, I got an old baseball cap and hacked it up with 1" wide velcro hooked here and there. That shows promise, as I got a configuration that was really comfortable and spread the weight all over the top of my head. However, it is a kluge and takes forever to put on and get adjusted, having to use my wife as assistant, but is a good first first try. So now my attempts are to make a practical version, but first I have to go into town and buy a couple more cheap caps, as the first one is pretty well in shreds.

Reactions: Night Spring

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
My guess is the people that are enjoying there's are too busy to be fighting the haters here in the forums. Anyone that makes a positive comment out of experience is jumped on.
It isn't the haters that I hate, but the posters. Specifically those who haven't bought one and don't intend to, but feel qualified to troll-plant a myriad of opinions about a device for which they have not the least experience to talk about. By the end of the first day, trying to find a valid posting for information was a genuine needle-in-haystack procedure. (and not just here, but in searching anywhere on the 'net.) And as of now, any real info is buried almost beyond the ability of google to find in any reasonable time frame.

Reactions: G5isAlive

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
It isn't the haters that I hate, but the posters. Specifically those who haven't bought one and don't intend to, but feel qualified to troll-plant a myriad of opinions about a device for which they have not the least experience to talk about. By the end of the first day, trying to find a valid posting for information was a genuine needle-in-haystack procedure. (and not just here, but in searching anywhere on the 'net.) And as of now, any real info is buried almost beyond the ability of google to find in any reasonable time frame.

I feel your pain. It seems to be worse with the AVP but maybe thats just the trend in general. The amount of opinions stated as fact, and wrong at that, is distressing. I approach it like reading product reviews on Amazon.

macplow

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
My biggest gripe has been how much pain Vision Pro puts on my cheeks regardless of whether I use the solo knit or the dual band. I designed and 3D printed an adapter for use with the BoboVR headset. The BoboVR halo headstrap acts like a hat, held in place by your hearty forehead/back of your head, instead of your cheeks.

Below, in the picture where I'm wearing the headset with my adapter, you can see my face doesn't even touch the Vision Pro at all. The weight is entirely removed from my face.

View attachment 2346684 View attachment 2346680
View attachment 2346682
View attachment 2346683
View attachment 2346687

I took the light seal off to demonstrate the Vision Pro making absolutely no contact with my face, weight removed completely. It works with or without the light seal. I've seen other mods that require you to sand some parts or remove pieces from your materials or Vision Pro audio pods, but my adapter doesn't require any of that. I've been using this for the past day for an entire work day, and there's no pain at all. The only force on my head is my forehead and back of skull. Fortunately, these are non-sensitive areas where someone could squeeze your forehead and skull all day and you won't feel it.
Can you please share the 3d print files? Would love to print and try this out...

mosesvii

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2023
OK, before I return this thing (like easily more than 50% of us Vision Pro owners are about to do), I'm going to give it 1 last shot with a BoboVR headset. This would take 100% (yes, 100%) of the weight off your face. Seriously can't believe Apple designed such a poorly balanced headset, but such is life.

The Reddit thread below on from 1 of the few guys who have done this mod. I'm sure BoboVR (and many others) are creating halo straps as we speak. In the meantime, $50.00 isn't much to make this thing useful in the NOW. Mine comes Tuesday.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VisionPro/comments/1ahdrej

Anyone have their own suggestions / thoughts?

View attachment 2345723
"like easily more than 50% of us Vision Pro owners are about to do"

You're experience has evidently been a lot different to the majority.

Kuo’s investigation found just 1% of Vision Pro owners returned their headsets. Despite what social media warriors would have you believe.

So how did you go? Did you indeed return it, or are you still using it?

Reactions: Disher

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
I added a c pap strap to the solo band to take some pressure off the front of my face. I use it for 2 hours at a time no problem.
also switched light seal from 21W to 22W

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I’ve been using the solo band for weeks now. At first, it sucked. Went to the dual band, spoke with some others, more reading, videos, then decided to give the solo another shot. It’s all I use now. Extremely comfortable.

There’s a balance to using the solo band. First is ensuring you have the right light shield setup. Then, placement behind your head and tension. I wear the VP for hours on end. Haven’t given other bands another thought.

Reactions: gerald.d

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I’ve been using the solo band for weeks now. At first, it sucked. Went to the dual band, spoke with some others, more reading, videos, then decided to give the solo another shot. It’s all I use now. Extremely comfortable.

There’s a balance to using the solo band. First is ensuring you have the right light shield setup. Then, placement behind your head and tension. I wear the VP for hours on end. Haven’t given other bands another thought.
Glad it's working for you! Yes, the light seal has a lot to do with comfort, especially facial pressure. Unfortunately, it can be hard to find the best seal/cushion combination, since there are so many options. I keep saying I want to try other seals at an Apple Store, but haven't found the time.

I've used the solo and dual bands. Each has pros and cons. I prefer the feel and adjustability of the solo, but it doesn't support the AVP as well as the dual, so that's what I use.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Glad it's working for you! Yes, the light seal has a lot to do with comfort, especially facial pressure. Unfortunately, it can be hard to find the best seal/cushion combination, since there are so many options. I keep saying I want to try other seals at an Apple Store, but haven't found the time.

I've used the solo and dual bands. Each has pros and cons. I prefer the feel and adjustability of the solo, but it doesn't support the AVP as well as the dual, so that's what I use.

Everyone is going to be different. If our heads were all exactly the same, that would be one thing. But they are not.

Main reason I posted was in case anyone else had similar experience - maybe it's worth given the solo band another try - or - may point to checking out different light seals.

OnTheeRize

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2015
Bay Area
Sometimes people over adjust single strap up or down. If you have pressure on your cheeks then move strap slightly down. Pressure will then shift to forehead. If it shifts too much to forehead then you shift strap slightly up. At some point you will find the right balance. I have really no issues now.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.