Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dstew201

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
I ordered a finewoven case but will most likely return it. Hopefully a lot of people return them so Apple gets the message that they shouldn’t have done away with the leather cases. I also ordered andar camel tan leather so will probably just go with it.
Oh that tan leather should be nice! I went with Nomad’s leather folio, but Andar was on my list too.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I'm not a big leather case fan so I have no dog in this fight. But I was interested in FineWoven up until I saw this feedback.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Oh that tan leather should be nice! I went with Nomad’s leather folio, but Andar was on my list too.
I have Andars iPad Pro case and the leather is excellent. Just hoping the fit on the iPhone is as good as the Apple leather cases have been.

n3sh

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2016
Just fancy apple magic name for fabric / canvas case.
Should have been priced same as silicone

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If you took a knife to the leather case I bet it would look similar to the fine woven he tore up in that video. Are they worth $60? No, but they aren't that bad.

The leather cases aren’t padded like the fabric ones. That’s the whole point of the video. It’s not bad enough Apple switched to a cheaper material, they made the fabric thin as paper.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Will be interesting to see how this works out for Apple. I guess we will see in 1-2 years if this switch was a success. (Meaning, if they stick with this material)
Margins on cases are crazy high. It is not a business they want to go backwards.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Will be interesting to see how this works out for Apple. I guess we will see in 1-2 years if this switch was a success. (Meaning, if they stick with this material)
Margins on cases are crazy high. It is not a business they want to go backwards.

Apple probably looked at their polishing cloth sales and figured, if people are dumb enough to pay $19 for a small square of fabric, they could quadruple their case margins if they switched from leather to fabric.

Jared G.K.

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
There are other videos showing that these cases show wear after the slightest touch already.
While leather cases develop a patina over time (which often makes them look even better), these new garbage Apple cases might just look tattered after a short while.
Thank God, there are plenty of other fish in the sea, producing beautiful and durable leather cases.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
But but... they are carbon NEUTRAL, guys! Doesn't knowing that just give you the warm fuzzies and inspire you to support Apple's shareholders save the environment?
Nailed it! If leather was good for the P&L, they'd have a sleek video touting the benefits and twisting the reality to make you feel so good about the green washing all the way to the checkout!

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Your profile picture make me read every thing you say with Octavia's tone and expression. And I like that Mother Nature is not having it with FW ! 😂
Mother Nature wants the environment to thrive, she wants to survive for billions of years more. She knows that a crap product like FW will only make people seek other alternatives that may endanger her. She is selfish, but wise.

Zskyline

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Boston, MA
My friend got one. Returned it. Whoever green lit this at Apple should be fired. It’s cheap feeling. Gets dirty in minutes and scuffs up after a day. Terrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.