Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Of interest, various tests applied to a fine woven case.

Not biodegradable
From exterior to interior, the case layers are stacked as follows: FineWoven fabric, gray foam, rigid plastic sheet, MagSafe hardware/white foam, another rigid plastic sheet, and finally, an inner layer of FineWoven fabric.

We burned a bit of the FineWoven fabric to suss out more of its properties. The material gave out a sweet smell and left a sticky, black, mass. This makes us think that it’s likely a polyester-based material.

Conclusion
FineWoven is truly fine, and a really neat, high-end material, with fibers as small as 6 microns. The tight weave makes the fabric somewhat wear-resistant, but nicks and marks will show and stay. Unfortunately, without the additional protection found in technical garments like TechFace, it’s not liquid-proof. You’ve either got to be very careful with where you set the case, or treat it with a DWR or fabric protector like Scotchgard yourself.
So I was thinking about how many garments used to made out of polyester years ago, only to see Apple had sorta rediscovered that in this new finewoven case material. :D

Last edited:

Gobeatty

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
Just got home from the Apple Store and I ended up with a silicone case same as I usually get. Kind of thinking about exchanging it for a finewoven. After reading all of the negative reviews, I was set against it and not a fan of the $10 higher price.

I was surprised how nice it felt in the hand. It feels suede-like in a good way. I struck up a conversation with the person next to me who was also considering which to buy. I mentioned that the reviews said it would show scratches and the scratches would stay and he pointed out that leather is much the same. If you want a case to look new for as long as possible, get something else. If you are ok or prefer a case that shows where it’s been and takes on some personality, the finewoven may be just the ticket.

The silicone cases, in my experience, begin to peel after a year or so. I will be curious to see what the longevity is of the finewoven cases.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I'm waiting on my Mujjo leather case, but in the interim I'm rocking the FW case I ordered before I saw the reviews trashing it. I agree their takes are little over the top absurd. With that said, now that I have the actual FW case and have put it on the phone it's not as horrible as it looked. HOwever I'm still not a fan and will definitely go with the leather as the daily driver case. And I'll use the FW as backup. My observations:

Pros:
  1. It does look nice(How long it stays looking nice I'll never know since i"m going to use the leather case)
  2. The Fit is spot on like the past Apple Leather cases
Cons:
  1. It doesn't feel that nice. Sometimes while I"m handling the phone it feels mildly rough.
  2. The edges are kinda uncomfortable, particularly the corners where it meets the FW material.
  3. The Flat portion Edges are more slick than I would have thought. Making the phone mildly slippery if you're lightly holding the phone. Vs leather where there's texture and feels better to grip

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Just got home from the Apple Store and I ended up with a silicone case same as I usually get. Kind of thinking about exchanging it for a finewoven. After reading all of the negative reviews, I was set against it and not a fan of the $10 higher price.

I was surprised how nice it felt in the hand. It feels suede-like in a good way. I struck up a conversation with the person next to me who was also considering which to buy. I mentioned that the reviews said it would show scratches and the scratches would stay and he pointed out that leather is much the same. If you want a case to look new for as long as possible, get something else. If you are ok or prefer a case that shows where it’s been and takes on some personality, the finewoven may be just the ticket.

So I too read and saw lots of reviews ranting on FineWoven cases so I was fully expecting the product to be bad when I saw it in person. I did see it in person today at my local Apple Store. The FW case looks fine. To me, it’s not as bad as what so many reviews made them out to be. *shrug*

Gobeatty

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
So I too read and saw lots of reviews ranting on FineWoven cases so I was fully expecting the product to be bad when I saw it in person. I did see it in person today at my local Apple Store. The FW case looks fine. To me, it’s not as bad as what so many reviews made them out to be. *shrug*
I’m putting my money where my mouth is. I just exchanged the case at the Apple Store. I’m really curious to see how this case ages, and if it holds up for the life of the phone.

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California
I’m putting my money where my mouth is. I just exchanged the case at the Apple Store. I’m really curious to see how this case ages, and if it holds up for the life of the phone.
I think you’ll like it. Obviously I can’t speak for the durability but I am really liking mine so far.

Reactions: Gobeatty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.