Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I'm not sure he's truly "blaming" Apple in the bitter sense of the word. He might be making a couple quips, but I think he's admitting reality, and giving a lot of credit to Apple. After all, Apple has helped revolutionize the world, so to act like Apple really had no effect is also a farce.

MR is playing around in Fox's 'no spin zone' on this one... tisk tisk, MR.

+1 totally agree. In watching the interview he didn't really blame apple. I think he says "one might say that iPhone killed Nokia and iPad killed paper"

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I'm afraid that tablets have done NOTHING what so ever to stop that! Around 36 football fields worth of forests are gone every minute, it's estimated around 15% of the entire planet's greenhouse gas emissions are from deforestation because all those trees soak the carbon up...

So it's good Finland's paper industry has shrunk, but I doubt the rainforests being cut up will ever stop.

Sorry, went all eco on you there :D

I agree that the paper industry is not the reason for the devastating deforestation of old growth and rainforests. In fact, there has been an argument before that paper recycling is actually bad for old growth forests, because most paper-based forest is produced from purpose grown trees, and a reduction of usage takes away the economics for planting those trees.

But, there is a lot of environmental damage caused by paper usage that is not just directly related to deforestation.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Seems like a tempest in a teapot. The guy didn't seem to seriously blaming Apple, more like he was blaming new technology trends. It's a good explanation of the downfall of Finland's core industries.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Meh, it's just a soundbite from a media-friendly politician.

It's not Finland's fault that global investors came to the conclusion that Nokia was worth close to a ridiculous USD 250,000,000,000 at the turn of the century, and I'm sure that the government was fully aware that it was an unsustainable performance.

I bet they appreciated the tax revenues while they lasted, and that the Finnish people are enjoying a better infrastructure than they would otherwise have had (and will continue to do so for many decades to come).

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Wow

Darn capitalism! Evil, evil Apple, how dare you ruin Finland... Really dude?

Finland better man up and start taking responsibility for their own issues and stop blaming others. :confused:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
This reminds me of Seattle in the 60's when Boeing started laying off workers.

lastpersonleavingseattle_31.jpg

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
Perhaps if Nokia wasn't producing windows phones then maybe their marketshare would increase. Although didn't Microsoft purchase them? #fail

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Politicians love to blame everyone except themselves—but this really takes the cake! PAPER? The writing on the wall for paper has been there for quite some time. If he is so dense that he can't see that then I think Finland is in much bigger trouble than they might realize.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Darn capitalism! Evil, evil Apple, how dare you ruin Finland... Really dude?

Finland better man up and start taking responsibility for their own issues and stop blaming others. :confused:

Blame MR for exaggerating it. Finland never blamed Apple, they're just facing reality.

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Apple might as well be blamed for increasing divorce rate and global warming.

Well I can fit that in for you...

1. Since mobile socialing has increased multifild since the iPhone and iPad couples spend the time reserved for couple things on the phone... Hence Apple has contributed...

2. Earlier phones used to not need to be recharged more than once in 3 days... Since the iPhone phknes need to be recharged everyday... Hence more consumption of electricity... Producing which adds to global warming... Hence Apple is responsible for that too...

There I fit t for ya... :D

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I'm sorry, I had to laugh. This is ludicrous. Either bring your nation into the 21st century or stay behind and get left behind.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Worst article I've seen on here. Pure click bait. There wasn't blame, he was just talking about the reality. This site is going down the toilet lately.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Nokia should have moved when Apple released the original iPhone, like many other phone makers but like Blackberry they kept their heads in the sand as people moved on.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I'm sorry, I had to laugh. This is ludicrous. Either bring your nation into the 21st century or stay behind and get left behind.

You're laughing at the wrong people, laugh at the clickbait title of the article.

alhedges

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
Nokia should have moved when Apple released the original iPhone, like many other phone makers but like Blackberry they kept their heads in the sand as people moved on.

Nokia didn't put their head in the sand. Nokia responded immediately, but it basically couldn't compete. It didn't have the right knowledgebase to make anything like the iPhone.

Nokia had been closely following Apple's 2007 launch of the iPhone, and had expedited "a large number of iPhones to Nokia's head office in Espoo" by courier at its release. The executive described taking one home and presenting it to his four year old daughter, who "learned to use it immediately."

The executive noted he "knew Nokia was in trouble" when the young girl asked him that evening, "can I take that magic telephone and put it under my pillow tonight?"

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...stroyed-nokias-world-leading-symbian-platform

One of the problems with tech journalism is that writers vastly underestimate the difficulty of execution; of actually producing something. So you get a lot of focus on *ideas*, but little analysis of the much greater difficulty of translating these ideas into products.

As the linked article showed, Nokia knew immediately that they were in trouble. They weren't in denial; they didn't have their heads in the sand. They just couldn't do anything about the problem because they didn't have the right skillset.

Google, who had been working on a mobile phone OS, did - but it took them a couple of years to get Android up and running...and they had the luxury of not losing market share hand over fist because they weren't in the market yet, as well as the advantage that they didn't have to produce handsets themselves.

MS was eventually able to get around to making a new phone as well.

But it is important to realize that the game is really about execution. Buggy whip makers didn't go out of business because they didn't realize that the automobile wasn't important, or because they stuck their heads in the sand. They went out of business because despite knowing that the automobile was the wave of the future, they couldn't do anything about it. Having a workforce skilled in running a wood lathe, varnishing, and tanning and weaving leather doesn't make you qualified to make engines on an assembly line. Even if you are vaguely in the transportation business.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Haven't read all the comments, but this sentiment is worth repeating:

IF Nokia had started producing smart devices to run both Windows Mobile ANNNND Android back when their Symbian OS started waning in popularity, they would still be right up there with the big boys in Apple, HTC, Samesung, and Motorola. Nokia like BlackBerry, sat on their hands too long allowing the competition to steamroll them into oblivion. This is fact.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Nokia didn't put their head in the sand. Nokia responded immediately, but it basically couldn't compete. It didn't have the right knowledgebase to make anything like the iPhone.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...stroyed-nokias-world-leading-symbian-platform

One of the problems with tech journalism is that writers vastly underestimate the difficulty of execution; of actually producing something. So you get a lot of focus on *ideas*, but little analysis of the much greater difficulty of translating these ideas into products.

As the linked article showed, Nokia knew immediately that they were in trouble. They weren't in denial; they didn't have their heads in the sand. They just couldn't do anything about the problem because they didn't have the right skillset.

Google, who had been working on a mobile phone OS, did - but it took them a couple of years to get Android up and running...and they had the luxury of not losing market share hand over fist because they weren't in the market yet, as well as the advantage that they didn't have to produce handsets themselves.

MS was eventually able to get around to making a new phone as well.

But it is important to realize that the game is really about execution. Buggy whip makers didn't go out of business because they didn't realize that the automobile wasn't important, or because they stuck their heads in the sand. They went out of business because despite knowing that the automobile was the wave of the future, they couldn't do anything about it. Having a workforce skilled in running a wood lathe, varnishing, and tanning and weaving leather doesn't make you qualified to make engines on an assembly line. Even if you are vaguely in the transportation business.

I mean no offense, and there are some realities in your comment, but it's mostly excuse-making.

Nokia was once the world's most powerful smartphone maker for a long time with the biggest R&D budget. They, like Blackberry, felt they had the market cornered and that Google and Apple couldn't seriously threaten their business. Well they guessed wrong. When Nokia's sales figures started declining, they kept releasing outdated Symbian OS devices. Eventually Nokia responded and tried to rush to market their own competing touch screen device. But it was too late and the device underperformed. Then along came MS once Nokia was backed into a corner, and the rest is history.

There's a saying in business called "the quick and the dead". Nokia was too slow to react. But don't say they didn't have the resources to produce a valid touch screen smart device. They were stubborn and sat on their hands too long.

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
E-Mail and texting killed the paper industry...not the freaking iPhone.

What next, the Postmaster General is going to blame Apple for the USPS going bankrupt.....oh wait.....uh.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
You're laughing at the wrong people, laugh at the clickbait title of the article.

Thanks! I read and watched the news reel, it definitely doesn't seem that the PM emphasizes Apple as the reason for their economic predicament. I believe he acknowledges the nations industry needs to be reworked to keep pace with the times. Interesting how MacRumors and TechCrunch (?) pushed it to indicate Apple was a clear and only target. However, it is clear that if paper was one of their two primary exports, it's time to rethink that approach.

Thanks again. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.