Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It seems to work quite well. The new theme is much better for me, but I'm sure someone won't like it. :D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
blue&whiteman said:
0.9 has crashed 4-5 times on me in a few hours. 0.8 crashed about 2 times in 5 months.

I'm still not having a problem. Have you repaired permissions? Are your bookmarks okay? A while back, I had trouble with one of the Mozilla-based browsers and bookmarks. I started over and didn't have another crash.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
bousozoku said:
I'm still not having a problem. Have you repaired permissions? Are your bookmarks okay? A while back, I had trouble with one of the Mozilla-based browsers and bookmarks. I started over and didn't have another crash.

I have it stable now. all is well.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
I went back to 0.8. just like it better. I had 0.9 running stable for a day or so then it just started crashing every 30-45min. another permissions repair did nothing to help. could it be an issue with my rev. b G5?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
blue&whiteman said:
I went back to 0.8. just like it better. I had 0.9 running stable for a day or so then it just started crashing every 30-45min. another permissions repair did nothing to help. could it be an issue with my rev. b G5?

My guess would be that you have something other than the default theme running. I tried a few with version 0.8 and found them to be fine until I managed bookmarks, at which time it would crash. I may try another theme in the future, but not soon.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
i've had it stable for a day, but i don't like that Cmd+Up doesn't take you to the top of the page...

oh, and I'm the guy who doesn't like the default theme ;)

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
blue&whiteman said:

There might even be a firefox issue--

On my work computer (XP) I've been running 0.8 without a problem. When I installed 0.9 it worked fine for a day, then for no apparent reason crashed immediately on startup every time. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work.

I finally searched my harddrive and my registry for every instance of a name containing "mozilla" and deleted everything. A reinstall worked then, but I had lost all my preferences and bookmarks.

It's working now, but we'll see if it crashes again.

This is with no themes and no extensions.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
stcanard said:
There might even be a firefox issue--

On my work computer (XP) I've been running 0.8 without a problem. When I installed 0.9 it worked fine for a day, then for no apparent reason crashed immediately on startup every time. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work.

I finally searched my harddrive and my registry for every instance of a name containing "mozilla" and deleted everything. A reinstall worked then, but I had lost all my preferences and bookmarks.

It's working now, but we'll see if it crashes again.

This is with no themes and no extensions.

You might check your bookmarks.html file size from time to time. I can't find any redundancy but this happened to me with early releases of the Mozilla browser where I went from 52KB to 2MB.

I say this because they just revised the way bookmarks are handled.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
bousozoku said:
You might check your bookmarks.html file size from time to time. I can't find any redundancy but this happened to me with early releases of the Mozilla browser where I went from 52KB to 2MB.

I say this because they just revised the way bookmarks are handled.

Hmm, that might do it. The bookmarks file was originallly created somewhere around about Mozilla 0.9.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
michaelrjohnson said:
i've had it stable for a day, but i don't like that Cmd+Up doesn't take you to the top of the page...

I love it, but the Cmd+Up not working is irritating.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
michaelrjohnson said:

Yea, I liked 0.8's theme better..... (well, the PC theme at least.... the Mac OS X theme kinda seemed thrown together to me.)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Calebj14 said:
Yea, I liked 0.8's theme better..... (well, the PC theme at least.... the Mac OS X theme kinda seemed thrown together to me.)

I was fine with the 0.7 theme for Mac but people apparently complained that it looked too much like WinXP, so they went to the black and white theme...ugggh. So now, I like the current one simply because it's not black and white.

mateybob

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2004
Sydney
i have a number of problems with .9...
firstly its uglier
secondly they didnt fix the expose bug
thirdy, and this is the big one, it has a major memory leak... on startup it uses about 12mb but after an hour it was using over 100mb even though i only had one window open with no tabs... check for yourself in the activity monitor... its not releasing a LOT of memory... that probably explains crashes people are having..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.