Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Found it. They have a "smooth scrolling" setting in there that does nothing of the sort. All better now.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Well, lets see, when I get home today I'll check to see if it will let me pay my bills on Wachovia Bill Pay. NOT!! It only works with IE according to them, and they have no intentions of fixing it.

At least I was notified yesterday that Bill Pay will now be free instead of $5.95.

Oh well, its not Firefox's fault, it is stupid IE and Wachovia's fault.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I'm surprised it's out for Mac. The devs were saying that there were specific problems in the Mac version that had to be dealt with before release...

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
iMeowbot said:
Found it. They have a "smooth scrolling" setting in there that does nothing of the sort. All better now.

hey where is that setting because i can't find it in the preferences

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
Downloaded and installed. I don't see any difference between 1.0 and the 1.0RC, but that's typical, well for the company i work for. It's nice to know that it's the official production release.

DWKlink

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
New York, NY
macridah said:
Downloaded and installed. I don't see any difference between 1.0 and the 1.0RC, but that's typical, well for the company i work for. It's nice to know that it's the official production release.

Could be in my head, but it does seem a bit snappier. I hope its more stable at least, i was having at least one crash a day with the last build.

There's also a new updates button next to the google search in the top of the window. It changes colors based on the importance of the update. when i first started the program it was red for a "critical update"

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Oh Good! They got rid of that stupid extra window. Using expose or command-squiggly (~) always showed an extra tiny window that could not be closed. All gone... WHee!!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I have yet to download the final version. Hopefully, they've already fixed the plug-in problems I was having yesterday with 1.0 RC2. Talkback sent three reports about it.

I noticed something strange last night. They finally fixed the XUL vertical scrollbar problem I reported in Mozilla 1.2. Along with the mysterious window, which is still there but really hidden well, they're finally getting the Mac version of XUL to work well.

Nice to see that there is a better alternative to those other browsers. :)

palusami

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
san jose, ca
got it...

had to dl it from cnet since mozilla's website is a little busy at the moment.

latest version seems a little faster when dl'ing webpages. i like the update feature as well. only thing is that it couldn't update all the themes that i had installed. oh well.

is it me or does anyone else hate the way the google search box looks? i was hoping they could make it a little more sleek or attractive in this upgrade. ;)

in any case, latest version seem pretty shh-weet.

fraeone

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2003
Seattle, WA
jimjiminyjim said:
Oh Good! They got rid of that stupid extra window. Using expose or command-squiggly (~) always showed an extra tiny window that could not be closed. All gone... WHee!!

Yeah, the extra Expose' window is finally gone. Way to go FireFox.

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Firefox still has a long way to go with their Bookmark management system. It was a real pain trying to organize bookmarks using their Manage Bookmarks window. For instance you can't organize bookmarks from the left pane, only from the right. Plus you can't re-order bookmarks directly from the personal toolbar.

Their RSS/Live bookmark feature is cool, but you can't aggregrate them into a single folder.

They have to work on the middle scroll button; one flick of the wheel and half a page scrolls by, there is no way to change the increments or is there?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
mikeyredk said:
hey where is that setting because i can't find it in the preferences
("smooth" scrolling)
Settings, under Advanced, in the Browsing section.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Sir_Giggles said:
Firefox still has a long way to go with their Bookmark management system. It was a real pain trying to organize bookmarks using their Manage Bookmarks window. For instance you can't organize bookmarks from the left pane, only from the right. Plus you can't re-order bookmarks directly from the personal toolbar.
Unless I misunderstand what you're describing, you can organize bookmarks from the SideBar. Type Cmd-B to show it if it's hidden. Then drag/drop them all you like.
Sir_Giggles said:
Their RSS/Live bookmark feature is cool, but you can't aggregrate them into a single folder.
Again, I'm not sure what you mean. Each Live Bookmark appears as a folder in your bookmarks list. If you want to collect them all together into a single folder, you can.

Or are you talking about combining articles from multiple RSS feeds into a single folder? That's not available, but I can't see why you'd want that. But maybe I'm just being thick-headed.
Sir_Giggles said:
They have to work on the middle scroll button; one flick of the wheel and half a page scrolls by, there is no way to change the increments or is there?
I think it follows the sensitivity set in the Mac's System Preferences (on the Mouse page). I know that the acceleration curve on the wheel is far too great to be useful in its default configuration, but it can be turned down. I've found this over-sensitivity to be true in all application, including the Finder, so I wouldn't consider it a Firefox problem.

Unfortunately, the two bugs that have been bugging me still haven't been fixed. One is that download manager windows doesn't always auto-close on download completion (especially if the file is very small or is already in the browser's cache). And the second is that wheel/center clicks do nothing (they should open a new tab.) According to discussions on Bugzilla, both of these have more or less been fixed, but the fixes were too late to make it into the 1.0 release. With luck, they'll be in 1.1.

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
I don't see what's so great about FireFox for Mac OS X, sure its better than IE for Mac but feature/speed/stability wise Safari, Camino and OmniWeb are much better and all use the Cocoa interface.

I've downloaded FireFox, scrolling is weird, its jumpy with the scroll wheel (even when smooth scrolling is on), some times when I move the scroll bar the contents of the window does not move. Also as someone already stated above, the middle mouse button doesn't work (to open links in new tabs).

FireFox is great for Windows, it really is much better than IE also the Windows version doesn't have the problems here we have on the OS X version (from what I have experienced).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.