Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
Firefox on OS X doesn't thrill me either, awulf. I'd also like to hear more reasons people like it than the common ones.

But I wouldn't use any other browser on Windows, and that usage has gone down significantly since my wife inherited my eMac to replace her old notebook PC.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Buggy.

I gave it a bit of a workout for a day, and twice Firefox 1.0 stopped recognizing mouse clicks. Menus would pull down but fail to do anything, requiring a force-quit to recover. There also seems to be a problem with Javascript and tabs, pages are hanging if they aren't the visible pane.

Oh well, maybe they'll get a cleaned-up 1.1 out there soon.

Dr. No

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2003
How does it compare to Camino speed-wise??

I think that the JavaScript engine in Camino is faster.

JavaScript Engines can be tested with BenchJS- just put it into Google.

Can anyone else try comparing the two?? Choosing one is so hard. I love Firefox on the PC, but I am a Mac person. ;)

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
awulf said:
I don't see what's so great about FireFox for Mac OS X, sure its better than IE for Mac but feature/speed/stability wise Safari, Camino and OmniWeb are much better and all use the Cocoa interface.
Several reasons
  • I, personally don't think the Cocoa interface is the best one in the world. (I know, this is blasphemy. So sue me.) I prefer the Noia eXtreme skin. Furthermore, I use the same skin on my Windows and Linux boxes, so Firefox looks the same on all the platforms I use.
  • The GoogleBar extension. There is no equivalent for Safari. In addition to rapidly accessing Google searches (as Safari does), the GoogleBar lets you access all of Google's specialized searches, lets you walk through all of the search hits without going back to the main Google page, and will automatically hilight/find search keywords in whatever pages you're viewing.
  • Firefox has RSS support now. For Safari, you'll have to wait for Tiger to be released.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
I've actually had more problems with v1.0 than I did with any other. Generally rendering problems, a couple of sites seem to be broken where they weren't previusly; example eBuyer's feedback pages. It's also stopped responding a couple of times, something unheard of in ealier releases.

For me, the most stable version was 0.8. 'Course, I can't use that now we've all heard about the spoofing vulnerability... sigh. Not saying it's bad, it's still the best out there, but this whole releasing to a deadline thing probably made some shortcuts necessary.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
iMeowbot said:
I gave it a bit of a workout for a day, and twice Firefox 1.0 stopped recognizing mouse clicks. Menus would pull down but fail to do anything, requiring a force-quit to recover. There also seems to be a problem with Javascript and tabs, pages are hanging if they aren't the visible pane.

Oh well, maybe they'll get a cleaned-up 1.1 out there soon.

Last I heard, 1.1 was being planned for March for Macs. But that could've changed.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
fiefox is better than Safari?

I'm only 10 minutes into Firefox - but it sure seems smoother than Safari....

I hate to dis Apple - but at least this will hopefully motivate the Safari team to work harder....

Either way - out of the 4 or 5 browsers I have - they all do Mac Rumors just fine! Except ONLY my PC will let me put smilies in the correct place... my mac apps always put them at the botom of the post....,.

:)

sjk said:
Firefox on OS X doesn't thrill me either, awulf. I'd also like to hear more reasons people like it than the common ones.

But I wouldn't use any other browser on Windows, and that usage has gone down significantly since my wife inherited my eMac to replace her old notebook PC.
:eek: :eek: :(

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
AmigoMac said:
and 1.1 bugs will be in 1.2 gone, 1.2 in 1.3 ... and There is always a hope.
That's fine. They don't have to fix every bug, only the ones that affect me. Everyone else can suffer :D

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
iMeowbot said:
That's fine. They don't have to fix every bug, only the ones that affect me. Everyone else can suffer :D
When you do find bugs, please make sure the developers know about them. It's simple to get an account on BugZilla. Do some searches to see if your bug has already been reported. If it's not there, file a bug report. If you find it and want to add more information to the report, you can. You can also add yourself to the Cc: list for a bug and receive e-mail whenever the report is changed.

Unlike most pieces of commercial software (and many open source projects), the Mozilla projects have a proper bug database that's open to the public. This is a tremendous resource and you should take advantage of it. It's the best way for a non-programmer to help get the bugs fixed.

kettle

macrumors 65816
What are the downloads going like, surely the important thing about Firefox is the effect it will have on the PC browser stats.

We need it to kick IE up the arse, or at least force M$ into making updates that step closer to sensible CSS workings.

so anyone know if they're hitting targets?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.