Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
I only found this in one place so far, but it seems likely.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1940069/mozilla-ends-firefox-support-for-windows-7-8-old-macs.html

Per the article, the final FF 115 ESR release will be required on Mojave from September 2024.

I've mentioned before how this would be coming. Mozilla is probably expecting XCode to set the default minimum MacOS target to 10.15 in the next year or so.

Right now the minimum MacOS for PaleMoon browser appears to be 10.7, so there's still some hope for the future. (The values are 10.12 for current Firefox, and 10.13 for Chrome.)

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
That's good to know, since High Sierra and Mojave will no longer receive Google Chrome updates, unless you go the Chromium Legacy route.

Screen Shot 2023-06-03 at 1.39.23 AM.png

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
WTF?!

Am I just getting old or is this actually nuts? There are lots of Macs in active use that don't officially support even Mojave—I see them in schools and libraries all over the place. So now unless one of the people managing those things is aware that Chromium Legacy or Pale Moon exists (lol), they're going to be stuck with an out of date web browser.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
WTF?!

Am I just getting old or is this actually nuts? There are lots of Macs in active use that don't officially support even Mojave—I see them in schools and libraries all over the place. So now unless one of the people managing those things is aware that Chromium Legacy or Pale Moon exists (lol), they're going to be stuck with an out of date web browser.
What is also (maybe less) disastrous in this regard is that Steam will eliminate its support for HS and Mojave as a result of this, they always follow suit with Chrome support dropping as that's what their client relies on. This means that all 32-bit Mac games on Steam will be simply unplayable in less than a years' time, and a good chunk of them will be completely lost to history as that was the only way to access them.

For what it's worth Chrome supported Snow Leopard for 7 years, so we aren't too far off, at least with HS. Not that I approve of this coming down so soon as it seems like it was just yesterday that Mavericks was dropped.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
The delta between OS versions is a lot smaller than what it used to be, which is probably why it seems more rapid. Unlike e.g. 10.6-10.9 where basically all of userspace was turned upside down (GCD, objc ref counting) [and some of kernel-space too probably, given mem compression], the difference between 10.12 and 10.16 is basically negligible it seems.

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
That is from May. Looks like they moved up the timeline. All previous operating systems that received that message stopped receiving further updates.

It does say "Starting in Chrome 114....." Maybe they're doing it differently this time? Maybe because they're ending both HS and Mojave at the same time? Just have to wait and see, I guess.

Reactions: sdfox7

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
It does say "Starting in Chrome 114....." Maybe they're doing it differently this time? Maybe because they're ending both HS and Mojave at the same time? Just have to wait and see, I guess.

Good point. Normally the message doesn't appear until the final compatible version is released (i.e. 116). If 114-116 are compatible, it's not clear why they would want to annoy users for the next few months with the infobar.

I would get annoyed by that and just switch to another browser. Firefox doesn't use those tactics.

stakor

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2023
As a long time die hard Firefox user (with a collection of somehow older Macs), I have been shocked at first, but...

I can confirm Firefox Dev Edition 117b2 (and Nightly 118a1) still run, even on High Sierra, but both need manual tweaking - first step is editing Info.plist (LSMinimumSystemVersion) - I have changed aforementioned value from 10.15 to 10.13, but then Firefox crashes because of code signing. Next step, using Terminal is needed.

codesign -f -s - '/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app'
or
codesign -f -s - '/Applications/Firefox Nightly.app'

After doing this, Firefox runs! (Gatekeeper might complain about app from unknown source)

Unfortunately, there are NO over-the-air updates, manual download from Mozilla FTP site (cannot download using web browser because it redirects you to ESR version) and repeating of all these steps is required again!

It probably runs on Low Sierra too, but I don't have a Mac running it to confirm.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 12.05.40.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 12.05.40.png
    478.9 KB · Views: 177

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Mac sales have plunged 40% from last year 1QTR to this year 1QTR.

I think it's getting harder and harder for many people to justify buying new Macs. Who wants to pay $4,000 to only get 3 years of new operating systems? Good luck to anyone who bought a new Intel Mac during the pandemic in 2020.
What do you do with an iMac? That's the question. For my part, my old late 2012 - 27 - i5 - 24 ram iMac is still rocking for my computer needs. Email, Web, Amazon movies, Podcasts, Word, FileMaker, PhotosReminders and Calendar. Keep older versions of apps. I understand though more important needs or task to accomplish. I wonder how many have simple needs as I have. Right now iMac boots with Catalina but not sure I get that many benefits from using Mojave. I'm also trying to get used to Firefox...which is not easy.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
What do you do with an iMac? That's the question. For my part, my old late 2012 - 27 - i5 - 24 ram iMac is still rocking for my computer needs. Email, Web, Amazon movies, Podcasts, Word, FileMaker, PhotosReminders and Calendar. Keep older versions of apps. I understand though more important needs or task to accomplish. I wonder how many have simple needs as I have. Right now iMac boots with Catalina but not sure I get that many benefits from using Mojave....
The primary benefits of Mojave over Catalina are:
* regaining 32bit app support (i.e., the majority of Mac apps in existence).
* regain the ability to boot from an HFS+ Mac OS extended-journal drive partition (which is faster that Catalina's APFS, doesn't grind rotational drives to an early death, and is far easier to make bootable backups of).

= = = =

Regards Firefox...dump it. There are other browsers still taking updates, such as Opera and Vivaldi -- both of which run on MacOS Yosemite. Or Waterfox (a Mozilla fork, so you can dupe your Firefox preferences folder right into the waterfox one, and pick up where you left off).

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Where did you find that Vivaldi works on Yosemite? Their website has only High Sierra and above.
You are correct. (I have discovered that the latest Adblocker Ultimate and uBlockOrigin browser extensions will both install into Opera as well as the last Yosemite-supported version of Google Chrome.)

PamelaGirl80

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2019
As a long time die hard Firefox user (with a collection of somehow older Macs), I have been shocked at first, but...

I can confirm Firefox Dev Edition 117b2 (and Nightly 118a1) still run, even on High Sierra, but both need manual tweaking - first step is editing Info.plist (LSMinimumSystemVersion) - I have changed aforementioned value from 10.15 to 10.13, but then Firefox crashes because of code signing. Next step, using Terminal is needed.

codesign -f -s - '/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app'
or
codesign -f -s - '/Applications/Firefox Nightly.app'

After doing this, Firefox runs! (Gatekeeper might complain about app from unknown source)

Unfortunately, there are NO over-the-air updates, manual download from Mozilla FTP site (cannot download using web browser because it redirects you to ESR version) and repeating of all these steps is required again!

It probably runs on Low Sierra too, but I don't have a Mac running it to confirm.
Hey stakor,

I appreciate your post. I am now running the same version as you. Is there a method to knowing if newer nightly versions work under Mojave? I made a mistake and allowed for an auto update to Nightly version 119 and it would not open on the system. I did the same thing to get v118.0a1 to work but no dice.

Thanks for any insight. :)

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I'm also running Mojave and use FireFox as my main browser.

I do FireFox version upgrades manually, so would like to know what is the latest version that will work with Mojave and avoid the later ones. I'm now running 115.2.0esr

Anyone know for sure?

PamelaGirl80

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2019
I'm also running Mojave and use FireFox as my main browser.

I do FireFox version upgrades manually, so would like to know what is the latest version that will work with Mojave and avoid the later ones. I'm now running 115.2.0esr

Anyone know for sure?
If you follow the two steps from stakor's #16 posting you should be able to run Firefox Dev Edition 117b2 (and Nightly 118a1)

I am on Nightly 118a1, but have not been able to go beyond that, unless there is another special sauce needed to make it work on Mojave.

Reactions: Minghold

davigarma

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2021
Use Orion with all the extensions of Chrome Store, Firefox Store and with the fantastic agility of safari. Mojave is the minimum executable, it does not work in Hight Sierra and it is not agile in Catalina for surely for my graphics card ati Radaoon XT. My Mac is an Early 2008 and remains a fully satisfactory tool for me

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Use Orion with all the extensions of Chrome Store, Firefox Store and with the fantastic agility of safari.
The most fantastically agile thing about Safari is how quickly it will acquire some sort of browser malware the split-second Apple drops support for its host OS. (It's as bad as Internet Explorer was back in the day, and always the second thing I delete off the dock after News.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.