Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davigarma

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2021
The most fantastically agile thing about Safari is how quickly it will acquire some sort of browser malware the split-second Apple drops support for its host OS. (It's as bad as Internet Explorer was back in the day, and always the second thing I delete off the dock after News.)
I have been, with Safari for many years and anything has never been sneaked in or have ever suffered any problem in my machine. Of course, I am in Mojave behind the firewall Vallum and all the traffic from outside passes through a proxy and port 3128. I am no fool who discharges any unknown sources nor do I open anything that does not examine its sources. Social engineering with me does not work ;-)

Kind regards

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Mac sales have plunged 40% from last year 1QTR to this year 1QTR.

I think it's getting harder and harder for many people to justify buying new Macs. Who wants to pay $4,000 to only get 3 years of new operating systems? Good luck to anyone who bought a new Intel Mac during the pandemic in 2020.
Those people are the fortunate ones, because they have the last, and fastest (if i9s), Macs that will run the last great version of the MacOS: Mojave (in an HFS+ partion).

I just love how Microsoft waited until after Apple killed 32bit support and also decided that it was no longer in the 27" iMac business -- whereupon MS kept 32bit support when it launched Windows 11. There is now very little reason for anyone not thoroughly immersed in the iGadget ecosystem to purchase a new Mac over an equivalent PC, because none of their legacy software will work, and most of the new stuff is subscription-model. And Apple has made it abundantly clear that you mean as little to them as a used tampon the minute your three years are up.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
I have been, with Safari for many years and anything has never been sneaked in or have ever suffered any problem in my machine. Of course, I am in Mojave behind the firewall Vallum and all the traffic from outside passes through a proxy and port 3128. I am no fool who discharges any unknown sources nor do I open anything that does not examine its sources. Social engineering with me does not work ;-)
So with a $15 piece of software and a lot of monkeying around with propeller-head settings, I can beat Safari into behaving itself in polite company? (Still probably not a good idea to get too far off the beaten path in Yandex.)

PamelaGirl80

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2019
Use Orion with all the extensions of Chrome Store, Firefox Store and with the fantastic agility of safari. Mojave is the minimum executable, it does not work in Hight Sierra and it is not agile in Catalina for surely for my graphics card ati Radaoon XT. My Mac is an Early 2008 and remains a fully satisfactory tool for me

Wow, very nice tip with the Orion broswer. Hadn't heard about it, and yet it can install extensions from the Chrome Store and Firefox Store.

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
The problem with Orion is the same with Safari before Big Sur. It does not support WebP image format so any website that use that kind of format, all the images can not be displayed.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
The problem with Orion is the same with Safari before Big Sur. It does not support WebP image format so any website that use that kind of format, all the images can not be displayed.
I believe that they can be "displayed" if you replace the .webp to .jpeg in the Safari address line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.