Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terrrrrible

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
I'm updating my phone to 2.0 right now, I'll report what happens.

Restoring iPhone software now...

Your Iphone has been restored... message just popped up. Phone is restarting now.

iPhone is on Version 2.0. Syncing to get everything loaded.

Sync is going to take a while, I've got a pretty good amount of music on there. Going to go run across campus and grab some food, it should be done when I get back.

Sync complete. All applications are on my phone. Sweet.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
same here.. I'm upgrading now... the manual method

here is the download link

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...080710.bgt53/iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw

to updgrade.. you have to press the option key when you click check for updates.. and you point it to the update file...

I'm updating my phone to 2.0 right now, I'll report what happens.

Restoring iPhone software now...

Your Iphone has been restored... message just popped up. Phone is restarting now.

Supermunki

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
New Zealand
Well I just saw a post saying that this is iphone only and bricks ipods. Bummer. Anyway I looked inside the ipsw and the restore.plist refers to two board configurations: m68ap and n68ap which I assume refers to the original iPhone and the 3g iphone.

macmikey2

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
West Chester, PA

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
All I got is a folder and in iTunes, there is nothing in any of the subfolders highlighted so i can choose it.

What's up?

i downloaded the file to my "downloads" folder.. and I navigated to it and selected the file. real simple.. no tricks.

macmikey2

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
West Chester, PA
i downloaded the file to my "downloads" folder.. and I navigated to it and selected the file. real simple.. no tricks.

weird. In iTunes, when i navigate to it, there is nothing in any of the folders that allows the 'open' button to highlight. I can't choose anything.

Supermunki

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
New Zealand
Looks like you have the "Open 'safe' files after downloading" box checked in your safari preferences. You need to disable this as it automatically converts your ipsw file into a zip, unpacks it and then deletes the original file. Check your trash to see if there is a file called iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore.zip or iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw in your trash. If there is the zip, you need to move it out of the trash then change the extension to ipsw and tell itunes to open it then. If it is already ipsw then just move it out of the trash and tell itunes to use that. If there is no file there, right click on the folder that safari created, tell it to compress to zip, and then when that is done rename the extension to ipsw etc.

macmikey2

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
West Chester, PA
Odd...

My iPhone is up on 2.0, apps are in there, but it will not move my music or photos over. I'ver tried to sync twice now and it's the same still.

Anyone else see this?
Mike

Barbapapa

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
It didn't work with my 8gb Touch. It started, but quickly forced it into recovery mode. :(

That is what I said.
Dont use it in Touches. They will need to be restores.
(To complicate it: ater the restore my iTunes refuses to see the Software Upgrade I paid for). 'Yay'
Ah well. 2.0 is out soon anyway. Very very soon.

macmikey2

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
West Chester, PA
My iPhone is up on 2.0, apps are in there, but it will not move my music or photos over. I'ver tried to sync twice now and it's the same still.

Anyone else see this?
Mike

Ok, now it is copying the music over, but there are 6 apps that did not install due to an error occurring. Odd.

Mike

Supermunki

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
New Zealand
What do you mean it doesn't move them over? Do you mean like you hold your finger on them but they can't be moved anymore?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.