Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Well I am typing this while on a delta flight trying to get to some hot weather in tucson. Go go inflight wifi works like a charm! But I have had some glitches today.

First at the airport my fancy boingo credits service wouldn't recognize me or log me in.

In flight i found that abc streaming won't work because it thinks I am international! Similarly netflix streaming won't work, and the iTunes app store can't be accessed. So some of the dreamy uses I had in mind aren't going to work. Sigh.

Still I am listening to beethoven while surfing the web and getting ready to watch a movie in the device. Already read some if the wsj etc.

I am pretty much in heaven right now even though some things do not work as expected!

And this is fruit tune ever that I am going on vacation without a computer.

About the only thing I continue to dislike about the iPad is the infernal on-screen keyboard. Either I'm inaccurate or I am slowed to a crawl. That said, I love this puppy!

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
n flight i found that abc streaming won't work because it thinks I am international! Similarly netflix streaming won't work, and the iTunes app store can't be accessed. So some of the dreamy uses I had in mind aren't going to work. Sigh.

Alex from Diggnation said recently that he accessed Netflix via Virgin’s in-flight Wi-fi. So, I guess it depends on the airline.

below sea level

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
I took my first flights with the iPad last week.

The highlight was when I was going through security - the TSA officer looked at the screen, then looked at me... and said "how do you like the iPad?" :)

random person

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
:p
Hah, this made me laugh.

:p gotta love autofill! I meant to type "first time" not "fruit tune."

Haha!

Just watched an episode of V and used my total bighead amp connected to the line out of the iPad. Unbelievable sounds, especially explosions! Of course it helps with the music too!

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I made my first flight with my iPad a week ago as well (4/10). It was a relatively short (Oregon - Wash DC - Orlando) flight... so the battery had no problems lasting all day. During the first flight, I watched a full length movie, played a few sudoku games, organized my icons, and read a book for a while. It was on for most of the flight. On the second shorter leg, the person next to me was fascinated, so she dominated my time demonstrating how the iPad worked. When I landed in Orlando, I still had over 70% of my battery life remaining.

/Jim

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
As a TSO for TSA, I am glad this isn't a rant about some ignorant officer giving you the third degree for not taking it out of your bag. Sure it happens too often, but some of us know how to do our job while providing friendly customer service. If you come through at my airport with one though, you will be asked questions (I'm overly anxious to get one myself).

*Remember flyers, if you are asked to take your iPad out of your bag, don't throw a fit. Even though you are not required to, if there is too much clutter in your bag the X-Ray operator may need to have it cleared up. It's quicker for all of us to have it separated and X-Rayed then to have to do a bag search.

calebz

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
:p

:p gotta love autofill! I meant to type "first time" not "fruit tune."

Haha!

Just watched an episode of V and used my total bighead amp connected to the line out of the iPad. Unbelievable sounds, especially explosions! Of course it helps with the music too!

Some might call that a Freudian slip there, mister. ;) :D

I'm afraid I'll have to confiscate it for a bit and check for white prints on it.:p

glowrider

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
I took mine to Italy last week. 8 hours of video, no wifi, 85% brightness...

Only used about 45% of the battery - un-frickin-believable. Not nearly as good on the return flight when I was using apps and whatnot, but damn, with just video I think I'll certainly be able to use it for my long flights to Asia.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
I took mine on a flight last week along with my MBP.. I didn't even touch the MBP! I used my iPad on the flight from LA to to philadelphia and didn't even use 25% of the battery! My biggest problem was figuring out what to do! There is so much to do!

One other problem I had was that the iPad didn't want to connect to the Philadelphia airport wireless. It recognized it but wouldn't connect.

All in all I won't be taking my MBP on travel any longer, especially since I use desktop connect.

cipher29

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
I travel EXTENSIVELY for work and I have a love hate relationship with my iPad.. Great mobile device, but, the wifi SUCKS. I have yet to get it to work on any hotel wifi (always finds the network, but, never actually works). I've had it work in 1 airport.

I know this is isn't just mine as a colleague has had the exact same experience with his. There is some sort of issue the iPad has with certain types of proxy servers that prevents it from connecting properly.

For anyone in Canada, the iPad does not work in the Maple Leaf Lounges wifi (tried it in Edmonton, Ottawa and Calgary). Again, it connects no problem, but, safari refuses to redirect to proxy page to allow me to accept the terms and conditions and actually connect.

That said, the iPad is awesome on planes. I love reading on it, and it's perfect for magazines etc.

I just hope they fix the wifi issues.. I have had no connectivity issues once connected like other people have complained about.

Tech-Boy

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
All the flight issues can be fixed if you set up a vpn on your home computer. SSH tunnel

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Can't wait for my 3G iPad. I am absolutely shocked that the battery life is living up to expectations; I have a few trips coming up starting with a road trip at the end of the month and having my iPad work the whole way is going to be amazing.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Can't wait for my 3G iPad. I am absolutely shocked that the battery life is living up to expectations; I have a few trips coming up starting with a road trip at the end of the month and having my iPad work the whole way is going to be amazing.

Something tells me the battery life on the 3G iPad is not going to be as "magical", especially if you get the unlimited data plan... ;)

freddy425

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Southeast USA
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I was wondering if you could pair your apple wireless keyboard via Bluetooth with your iPad? I don't know if your allowed to do that or not so just wondering if someone knew.

Cheers

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I was wondering if you could pair your apple wireless keyboard via Bluetooth with your iPad? I don't know if your allowed to do that or not so just wondering if someone knew.

Cheers

Yes, the standard BT keyboard can be paired, from everything I've heard.

GregGebhardt

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
Sorry but...

aren't people supposed to turn devices to airplane mode while flying?

You also do not need to turn you phone off at the doctors office or in a hospital. The time I have been there the nurses and staff are all using their cell phones. Just be polite and if you are having a conversation with someone, do not use your phone the same time. I can't tell you how often I will see someone waiting in line and talking on their phone and when it is their turn they will not hang up the phone.

No wonder "they" ask us to turn off our phone!

Most I will do is put it on silent/vibrate but I do not turn off my phone for anyone"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.