Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Trip to Spain from Dc

The wife thought I was nuts with all the movies I was loading onto my iPad. Friends had taken the same flight a week prior and was amazed at all the in flight movie options and the TV shows with their on demand system. Sure enough 1/2 hour into the flight the system craps out and after multiple resets a good number still did not work including mine and the wife's. Watched 3 movies and a few episodes of Family guy with no issues. All said and done the batter was not drained had about 30% when new landed. Thanks to splitter she was able to watch as well.

There were a good number of ipads on the flight. This is the first trip that I am not bringing my laptop and so far no issues.

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
Ok, this does beg the question then -

With the 3G models, will there be a way to turn off ONLY the 3G radio, but leave the Wifi on?

With the iPhone, if you use Airplane mode, ALL radios (including the GPS) are turned off. I certainly hope Apple has thought of this and made the 2 independently switchable on/off or it's going to be a problem for airline wifi use...

Although, at least if the 3G is on and just not connected, you don't have to worry about a call coming in and ringing and giving away that you're breaking the rules!

(NOT that I would break the rules. I ALWAYS turn to Airplane mode when I fly...)

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Ok, this does beg the question then -

With the 3G models, will there be a way to turn off ONLY the 3G radio, but leave the Wifi on?

With the iPhone, if you use Airplane mode, ALL radios (including the GPS) are turned off. I certainly hope Apple has thought of this and made the 2 independently switchable on/off or it's going to be a problem for airline wifi use...

Although, at least if the 3G is on and just not connected, you don't have to worry about a call coming in and ringing and giving away that you're breaking the rules!

(NOT that I would break the rules. I ALWAYS turn to Airplane mode when I fly...)

You can turn WiFi on with Airplane Mode enabled on the iPhone; and since with iPad you can activate/deactivate your 3G service as you desire, I would assume that you can turn off the cellular radio at will too.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
By the way if you have any bluetooth keyboard, even the folding ones, try it before you go and buy a new one. It should work with the iPad. Bluetooth is Bluetooth so there should be no problems.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
I am using gogo wifi and cant stream the abc app so that's a little disappointing. I think in the future i will just use non wifi stuff like movies and games while on planes.

Not worth the $$$ to pay for just surfing when you can save enough content to enjoy fir free.

Luckily they give you a free trial for your first time.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I had my first iPad plane trip this month.

If I needed internet I used MyWi (when sitting in the terminal) and it worked fine, getting around 750k download overall.

Otherwise I read an iBook for the flight to NY. On the way back I watched Avatar (2/3 anyway lol)

mlad1101

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Alex from Diggnation said recently that he accessed Netflix via Virgin’s in-flight Wi-fi. So, I guess it depends on the airline.

Virgin uses gogo inflight as well so that wouldn't make a difference. That being said I fly virgin all the time(awesome first class, outlet in seat and USB connection in seat to charge devices as well) and I have tried using Skype on iPhone, doesn't work. Gogo sets limitations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.