Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTK Awesome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
We've been using Macs in my immediate family for 20 years and never had a single problem with any of them. Then the 10GB Ethernet jack on my 3 week old Mini crapped out. Repaired under warranty, of course... Apple Store replaced the I/O Wall (their term for the entire rear panel of ports) and also the Logic Board. The latter unfortunately resulting in my having to treat this like a brand new Mac (restoring via Migration Assistant from the bootable backup I made just before bringing in the machine).

Interesting to learn: M1 Macs get sent out for repair, but M2 Macs get repaired in the store.

If only it quit a week sooner, I could've just had the machine replaced. Oh well, Murphy's Law and all that.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Have had Apple stuff since forever, PowerMac's, iMac G3, PowerBook G4 with a Studio Display and many MB(P,A)'s, etc etc... started iPhone with 3G (we are not early adopters but rather wait one line), iPod 2 and on.... AND we definitely have had issues with some of them. I at one point bought a refurbished MBP that had all the bells and whistles and had a ton of issues all along the way. So I guess we've had apple stuff a little longer than 20 years but I've definitely have had a few issues in the past 20.

If you've never had any issues than you are indeed a lucky man 😃

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Sorry that this is unrelated but I just found my M0130 External Floppy Disk Drive from long ago

IMG_3089.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: JTK Awesome

JTK Awesome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
I know, it's a matter of luck. My only real annoyance is Migration Assistant and having to do all this again after just 3 weeks... How most things transfer over but a lot of little things have to be set up as new, e.g. signing back in to Microsoft for AutoUpdate, OneDrive, etc. iCloud tends to be a little bumpy, too. And since this is a "new" machine, iOS devices have to be re-trusted, Messages have to be set up again for forwarding from iPhone, and so on.

Reactions: ovbacon

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I know, it's a matter of luck. My only real annoyance is Migration Assistant and having to do all this again after just 3 weeks... How most things transfer over but a lot of little things have to be set up as new, e.g. signing back in to Microsoft for AutoUpdate, OneDrive, etc. iCloud tends to be a little bumpy, too. And since this is a "new" machine, iOS devices have to be re-trusted, Messages have to be set up again for forwarding from iPhone, and so on.
Absolutely it sucks and I would be really annoyed but I guess it is always good to look on the bright side of life and you've had good fortune with your devices...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.