Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Done a couple of the cycle classes to rock music this week and enjoyed them. Picked up an Apple Watch last week so signed up for the trial, tempted to keep it if I use it on a consistent basis.
Be nice to have some more country specific content, I’m in the uk so some more up based trainers and music would be good.
Question, if you can answer it: how do the cycle classes work with cycles that have programs? My cycle has eight difficulty programs .....so how do the classes relate? Or does ones bike have to have a 'neutral ' program of some sort?

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
One improvement I’d really like would be some way to keep track of workouts that you have done, rate them and categorise them. Sometimes I want a HIIT workout with Jamie-Ray that I haven’t tried yet, but there’s no way to see which ones I have tried. Sometimes, I want a yoga workout that will stretch my legs, but I need to go through the descriptions individually to find a likely workout. If I’ve tried a workout and didn’t like it, I want to be able to keep track of that, too.
The ones you've done are checked.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Great idea @LarrySW - would be great seeing historical data like that. Or even a pop up notifying you of more calories burned etc.

Would be great to see a "ghost" on the burn bar like racing games do when you're trying to beat your own time

I love Fitness+ - great content and since I've been using it, I've closed my rings every day since the 28th December (600 move, 30 mins exercise, 12 hours stand) - definitely gets you moving more in a way that is actually fun.

I've had dropped connections before which has ruined my workouts, so would be great to see a resume feature or being able to scrub to a certain part of the workout.
I did a CORE today and it told me that I have exceeded my previous calorie burn. Must say this was the first time I had noticed it....

Reactions: rhyme2

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Really enjoying it so far. I often like to pair workouts, such a 20-min strength w/ 10-min core or any 30-min combination of hiit, yoga, strength or core.

The only change I feel is obvious would be to add a 10- or 20-second rewind button. There are few times where I would like to hear their instructions a 2nd time or see a move demo’d again.
Yes ...Yes ...Yes...I've had the same thought and would really appreciate a rewind option!

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
I was the same, this time last year I was getting ready to quit going to the Gym, too many prima donnas being impatient because they wanted to use what you were using and you were not going fast enough.

I changed to working out from home, walking more and so on. Especially from the point lockdown happened in March 2020. My wife and I have walked over 700km in the past 9 months. That may not seem a lot to some but that is more than we walked in the preceding 5 years.

Also relying on YouTube videos of workouts to do during the week but it was a pain to find a good selection that suited you, Apple Fitness, on the other hand, provides everything you need, well everything we need.

In Jan 2020 I weighed 15 stone, my wife was 19 stone. Today I am 12 stone, my wife is 15 stone. It's been a horrible year for many reasons but a great one for our health and fitness which will only get better in 2021.
Are 'stone' really used the same as / as commonly as kg? Just wondering . And '1' stone is....?

interbear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
UK
I bit the bullet and subscribed to Apple Premier One. Was already paying for Music, TV+ and iCloud storage anyway so seemed to make sense.

On Fitness+ I’ve tried a few yoga and HiiT classes so far. I’ve enjoyed them. Yoga is a challenge as a newbie, never tried it before and as a relatively unfit, inflexible 50 something with occasional back problems, I thought it would be worth trying. So far, so good, it definitely helps with the back and the classes are enjoyable while testing my flexibility.

What do I like particularly?

• The sync with Apple Watch and Apple Health is easy, just works well.
  • The trainers are engaging and not over the top. Really enjoyed Jessica’s yoga classes so far and for HiiT Jamie-Ray. Perhaps it’s also the Brit accents appealing to the Brit, not sure, but they are both excellent.
  • I like the fact each class has 3 trainers demonstrating different levels of each exercise. I find myself in between the main trainer and the slightly easier version so far, especially on yoga as its new to me. But this makes it really accessible and much less intimidating than one high level trainer shouting at you.
What would I like to see improved / added:

• Elliptical classes are strangely absent. We have one, I find it really boring and would like to use it on a class, would perhaps add a little extra motivation.
  • It would be good to be able to search for classes based on level, for example, beginner classes for yoga. If there is a way to do this I haven’t found it yet, have to scroll and read about each class to work out if it’s an appropriate level.
All in all though, it’s very good indeed. Looking forward to my exercise/spin bike arriving so I can try those classes out to and get a bit more cardio fitness.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Question, if you can answer it: how do the cycle classes work with cycles that have programs? My cycle has eight difficulty programs .....so how do the classes relate? Or does ones bike have to have a 'neutral ' program of some sort?
Not sure to be honest, we're lucky enough to have a proper spinning bike at home courtesy of my wifes best mate who has her own fitness business and dropped one off for us to have during lockdown in the UK whilst her building was closed. Means i can change the resistance etc as per the trainers instructions.

I've done a few different 30min\20min classes and they all tend to include a short warm up, middle section where you change between different types of more intensive pedalling either going fast or more resistance like going up hill and short rests then a cool down on the end. Not sure how they would work with your bike.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Are 'stone' really used the same as / as commonly as kg? Just wondering . And '1' stone is....?

In the UK, the weight of person is nearly always measured in stones. One stone is 14 pounds. Very occasionally are people's weights referred to in kg, but never just in pounds.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
In the UK, the weight of person is nearly always measured in stones. One stone is 14 pounds. Very occasionally are people's weights referred to in kg, but never just in pounds.
Yep, i generally have to weigh myself and flip the setting on the scales so i can get my weight in stones which i can relate to more and then the kg reading to update the details on my phone. Need to get one of these fancy weighing scales that talk to apple and update it automatically.

Reactions: shotts56

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
Been using Fitness+ for 3-4 weeks and liking it a lot. I've tried other online workout systems during the pandemic and Fitness+ is the only one I keep coming back to.

I used to go to exercise classes at the local YMCA, which were great, but even before the pandemic I'd have dry spells where I'd feel I couldn't afford time to exercise because work was super busy (or whatever other lame excuse I told myself). Before Fitness+, I hadn't exercised regularly for a year so I started with the beginner workouts. They are well-done, not intimidating for beginners and while not super intensive I definitely felt the benefits. Now I'm mostly up to the regular workouts.

I like the trainers (though I'd be happy if they didn't talk continually). I like that I can pick workouts of varying styles & lengths and string them together - for example, I do a 20 minute HIIT then a 20 minute strength then a 10 minute yoga or cool down.

I don't love the music, but I've never loved the music in the exercise classes I took at the Y or most gyms. And I absolutely don't mind the music.

Feature request: scrubbing. I would like the ability to back up a few minutes to do the same exercise over. Or to skip ahead.

This would be useful for example to practice an exercise a few times to get the form right before moving on. Especially in a dance class - in some of the dance classes, they don't adequately explain the move until they start doing it, and a few seconds later they're on to another move. It's not enough time for me to get the hang of any of the moves.

The only thing I can do is end the workout and restart it from the beginning. It would be much better if I could scrub back a minute or to.

If any of you know a way to do this, please let me know. If Apple has an email for questions or comments about Fitness+, let me know and I'll email them my feature request.

But all things considered, I'm super happy with Fitness+ and I find the $80/year price to be totally worth it for me.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
Did my first strength workout today and was surprised by how many calories I burned.

rhyme2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2020
Did my first strength workout today and was surprised by how many calories I burned.
I'm always surprised how little I burn in strength workouts. I was exhausted after the 30-minutes shoulder-focused workout with Gregg yesterday and can still feel it this morning, but only burnt 163 active kJ (39 active calories). That's only 1/3rd of the kJ I burned in a 30-minute HIIT workout the day before that felt less exhausting. Still, I know the strength workout is building muscle and that will burn more in the long run :)

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
I’ve never been a huge class person, and I hate being stuck in a class for a full hour. I’m mostly a runner - 40 miles a week - and so far AF+ has been exactly what I needed. I know I need to cross train but have been so bad about it, and the 10 and 20 minute workouts make it so easy to squeeze in a quick workout of cross training (usually strength or core for me). Currently I have to take a week or so off for some arthritis issues I’m having in my knee, and the rowing and cycling workouts have been a lifesaver. I get so bored just pounding away on a machine, even with music. The workouts keep me really interested and engaged.

I do like the trainers SO much. I like that there’s not so many I don’t remember who anyone is. My favorites (Scott and Ty!!) feel like my friends, LOL. I will be subscribing at the end of my free trial.

Reactions: rhyme2 and Canyda

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I’ve never been a huge class person, and I hate being stuck in a class for a full hour. I’m mostly a runner - 40 miles a week - and so far AF+ has been exactly what I needed. I know I need to cross train but have been so bad about it, and the 10 and 20 minute workouts make it so easy to squeeze in a quick workout of cross training (usually strength or core for me). Currently I have to take a week or so off for some arthritis issues I’m having in my knee, and the rowing and cycling workouts have been a lifesaver. I get so bored just pounding away on a machine, even with music. The workouts keep me really interested and engaged.

I do like the trainers SO much. I like that there’s not so many I don’t remember who anyone is. My favorites (Scott and Ty!!) feel like my friends, LOL. I will be subscribing at the end of my free trial.
This is where i am as well to be honest, i'm not a runner...never have been bar a couple of years where i was a half decent cross country runner at school. Since then i've grown up playing football and cricket along with bits of badminton and squash. I've always been more the type where i want to be actually doing something to do the running more than just going out and running. Its a similar thing with gyms where the only real motivation to go and do anything was the fact i didnt want to pay and not use it!!

With lockdown in the UK team sports have gone out the window so i was basically down to walking the dog which was fine until you get to the winter months as i leave for work at 7:30am when its dark and dont get home until 6pm by which time its dark. We're fortunate to have a spinning bike at home through a friend who lent us one from her fitness workshop that she owns so the cycling classes on Fitness+ have been very useful and i'll probably carry on my subscription just for these whilst we have the bike. Previously i would just get on the bike and do a ride along to a TV programme or some music but its not really the same. The instructors give you something to aim at and make it more purposeful and i like the variety although i have been doing a lot of the classes by Kym as i like those ones.

Reactions: MJ22 and rhyme2

interbear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
UK
So my spin bike finally arrived (these things are constantly out of stock given so many people are having to exercise at home these days). I've tried some of the cycling / spin classes on Apple Fitness + and again had a good experience. They are really good. So far I've done 20 minute sessions that leave this unfit 50 something pretty breathless and knowing I've been doing something positive. The instructors seem to balance the motivation with empathy quite well, not too over the top. So far have enjoyed sessions with Sherica and Kym. Still loving the integration with Apple Watch, it's a good experience all round. I now need to develop a routine for this, and am thinking of alternating cycle/HIIT sessions on one day, yoga/core the next. Just need the motivation to get out of bed that little bit earlier in the morning, that's the biggest challenge.

If anyone is thinking about investing in a spin bike for home, after much research I went with a Schwinn IC8 (this is the UK version, it's IC4 in the USA). It's fantastic. Half the price of a Peleton. Takes about an hour to put together. Solid, high quality kit and totally silent in operation, which is really important to me. Has a magnetic resistance flywheel which means little to no maintenance required too as there is no friction. For cycling classes it's easy to keep up as the instructors reference RPM and this is shown on a visual scale on the Schwinn display. I've used it with Apple Fitness on the iPad on the tablet holder on the bike, works just fine. This morning I did it with the Apple TV on the bigger screen. Either set up works just fine. Recommend the bike.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
So my spin bike finally arrived (these things are constantly out of stock given so many people are having to exercise at home these days). I've tried some of the cycling / spin classes on Apple Fitness + and again had a good experience. They are really good. So far I've done 20 minute sessions that leave this unfit 50 something pretty breathless and knowing I've been doing something positive. The instructors seem to balance the motivation with empathy quite well, not too over the top. So far have enjoyed sessions with Sherica and Kym. Still loving the integration with Apple Watch, it's a good experience all round. I now need to develop a routine for this, and am thinking of alternating cycle/HIIT sessions on one day, yoga/core the next. Just need the motivation to get out of bed that little bit earlier in the morning, that's the biggest challenge.

If anyone is thinking about investing in a spin bike for home, after much research I went with a Schwinn IC8 (this is the UK version, it's IC4 in the USA). It's fantastic. Half the price of a Peleton. Takes about an hour to put together. Solid, high quality kit and totally silent in operation, which is really important to me. Has a magnetic resistance flywheel which means little to no maintenance required too as there is no friction. For cycling classes it's easy to keep up as the instructors reference RPM and this is shown on a visual scale on the Schwinn display. I've used it with Apple Fitness on the iPad on the tablet holder on the bike, works just fine. This morning I did it with the Apple TV on the bigger screen. Either set up works just fine. Recommend the bike.
Think the instructors on the cycling classes on Fitness+ use Schwinn bikes, Apple sell a couple via their website and the expensive one of the two looks like the ones in the class videos :-

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Hi All,

Me and the missus have just started using this.
Finding it really accessible.

Only doing the beginners sessions. 10mins HIIT, 10mins Strength, 10mins cool down.

No space for any equipment, so will do all the non equipment exercises.

2nd day on it. Going ok so far! :)

Best wishes
Martin

reserves

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Are there workout schedules with Fitness + ?

I had a look and I was expecting questions like:

Age, how’s your fitness, what are you trying to achieve?

Any then a plan worked out I can follow??

Even if this wasn’t available, I’d expect there to be workout plans to follow.

I don’t find it works for me to choose my own fitness exercise each day. I just prefer to follow a plan.

Apologies if this has already been answered / discussed as I haven’t read the whole thread.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
Am I the only one that has found the workouts too easy? Compared to what I normally do, even the HIIT workouts don't seem to challenge me enough.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Am I the only one that has found the workouts too easy? Compared to what I normally do, even the HIIT workouts don't seem to challenge me enough.

I think Fitness+ is targeted at those who have less of a dedicated/established exercise routine. I find myself modding up my workouts to get more out of them but do enjoy the change of pace that comes from following an instructor. I did a cycle class with Kim recently that kicked my butt, though. She set a pace I had a hard time matching.
As is, I wouldn’t recommend F+ as a stand alone service. If it’s bundled with Apple One though, it’s kind of a nice perk.

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
I'm really enjoying Fitness+ three weeks into my three-month trial. Really like following Gregg Cook's classes (strength, core, cooldown). I do have to figure something out though:

- I'm trying to do things right by following a schedule I put together, such as an upper body with a core workout one day, and a lower body and HIIT the next, with a full-body and HIIT/core the next, and so on. I schedule one day off each week (Sunday). I'm starting to feel this is too many days in a row slinging dumbbells around.

- I'm finding that some workouts that list "upper body" or "lower body" certainly do focus on that, but then there are elements of the opposite getting mixed into the workout. Is that okay? I always thought the "off-day side" needn't really be utilized at all.

Should I be scheduling a full day off from dumbbells in between an upper/lower/full body workout? Perhaps with some HIIT and yoga? And, in the future once I have enough funds saved up, a rower? I just feel like dumbbells six days/week might be excessive, and even though I'm trying to schedule upper/lower/full days, my muscles aren't getting the time needed to rest and rebuild...

Any guidance at all would be awesome! I love F+ and want to do things right -- this is where programs might be a good idea to have.

reserves

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
I'm really enjoying Fitness+ three weeks into my three-month trial. Really like following Gregg Cook's classes (strength, core, cooldown). I do have to figure something out though:

- I'm trying to do things right by following a schedule I put together, such as an upper body with a core workout one day, and a lower body and HIIT the next, with a full-body and HIIT/core the next, and so on. I schedule one day off each week (Sunday). I'm starting to feel this is too many days in a row slinging dumbbells around.

- I'm finding that some workouts that list "upper body" or "lower body" certainly do focus on that, but then there are elements of the opposite getting mixed into the workout. Is that okay? I always thought the "off-day side" needn't really be utilized at all.

Should I be scheduling a full day off from dumbbells in between an upper/lower/full body workout? Perhaps with some HIIT and yoga? And, in the future once I have enough funds saved up, a rower? I just feel like dumbbells six days/week might be excessive, and even though I'm trying to schedule upper/lower/full days, my muscles aren't getting the time needed to rest and rebuild...

Any guidance at all would be awesome! I love F+ and want to do things right -- this is where programs might be a good idea to have.

Don’t have an answer I’m afraid.

I feel Apple Fitness is severely lacking here and I’m guessing it’s to do with potential lawsuits. Nike took away their (much loved) scheduled runs from their running App I’m guessing for the same reason.

If Apple advise specific workouts or routines and users don’t get results or get injured then I can see (looking at you USA) Apple being open to lawsuits.

I have no idea which workout combinations would be good for me, how much rest I need, which combinations need longer breaks etc.

Glad others are finding it useful but I’m out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.