Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I jailbroke my iPhone 4 iOS 4.3 with Sn0wbreeze. I liked the new features you get with jailbreaking (such as built-in 4-5 finger gestures), but there's too many reasons to uninstall.

1. Battery life.
This is horrendous. 50% of my battery was gone in 2 hours. That's with:
WinterBoard
SBSettings + Activator
LockInfo
MobileNotifier
5-Icon Dock
InfiniFolders
VoiceActivator
That's even worse than my 70% drain in 8 hours before the jailbreak, and that in itself is bad.

2. Performance.
People say jailbreaking can make your phone look good with no compromise to performance. WRONG. SBSettings tell me more than 50% of my RAM is taken up all the time, and even if I uninstall every package except Activator, SBSettings, LockInfo and WinterBoard, the iPhone 4 still seems to be sluggish.

3. Heat.
This is directly related to the battery. It drains it so fast that sometimes the metal sides are scorching hot.

4. Random Shutdowns.
For those of you with 4.2.1, you might think of this as not that big of a deal. I don't use iOS 4.2.1, I use iOS 4.3 with Sn0wbreeze 2.3b4. Which means my jailbreak is tethered. If you ever tried a tethered jailbreak, you know how annoying this problem is.

5. App crashes, bugs, multitasking failure.
Apps are unstable, much more unstable than before. Also, since this jailbreak is taking up 50%+ of my RAM, multitasking fails. Sometimes this is enough for the random shutdowns mentioned above.

6. Responsiveness.
Ever since my jailbreak, my iPhone has lost its snappiness. Home button clicks seem to be delayed, volume buttons don't respond well, apps take longer to load, scrolling is full of stutter.

7. Lack of content.
I first thought tons of good mods would be available, but not many packages are worth getting. Or, in other words, jailbreaking is too boring for me.

8. SpringBoard resprings.
This is just annoying to do. It wastes time.

9. Risk of getting screwed head over heels.
Yes, I am aware you can remove this jailbreak. I am also aware that if this phone gets FUBAR before I do this, Apple will not replace it. Same goes for bricking, viruses, and all of that wonderful stuff.
Speaking of which, I already am a bit worried. iTunes stopped recognizing my iPhone.

10. Lack of change
Not much is different. The only things that differ from Apple's iOS are the icons, SBSettings, icon count, lockscreen, and the color. I don't want to respring like 30 times to customize my iPhone the way I want it; it will only drain battery, and won't help this run faster.

If anyone wants to give suggestions for fixing some of these problems, go ahead. I won't be removing my jailbreak until next week; I'll give it one last try, so please give suggestions as to fix these issues. Thanks!
-Prodo123

EDIT: All fixed. Battery is back to normal, performance is better, 100MB of RAM freed, and the jailbreak is stable.
You guys should upgrade, too. 97% of packages work perfectly fine. No issues remaining, except the occasional heat-up, but that's normal. Lovin' the home sharing.

Last edited:

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
You obviously need to play around with Cydia more. Jailbreaking has tons of benefits and all of the side effects you mentioned are directly related to the packages you installed.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
You obviously need to play around with Cydia more. Jailbreaking has tons of benefits and all of the side effects you mentioned are directly related to the packages you installed.

...well...like what?

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Umm wait until a more trustworthy JB comes out. Until then 4.2 PwnageTool has mine JB'd with no obvious affect on performance. Change your root password and should be good on the rest of things. Respring'ing is just part of customizing your phone if you can't stand it then JB'ing is not for you. The rest of your issues can just be solved with not going with 4.3 when most recommend not going with 4.3 yet because a chunk of the mods are not working yet and no trustworthy JB. Sorry for no great response but most are running 4.2.1 or below with no complaints.

twezzyfbaby

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
columbus ohio
Try using springtomize it helps alot with things you can just shut off to save battery life. Jailbreaking is the best thing that happen since the iphone came out!! It frees you up from the evil genuis At&t and all their hidden charges!!

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Not sure why you chose to be on the "Bleeding edge" Using Snowbreeze might be your first mistake.

Most of us will wait to go to 4.3 until we get a tool from Dev or Cronic Dev team and Cydia and mobile substrate is stable.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Umm wait until a more trustworthy JB comes out. Until then 4.2 PwnageTool has mine JB'd with no obvious affect on performance. Change your root password and should be good on the rest of things. Respring'ing is just part of customizing your phone if you can't stand it then JB'ing is not for you. The rest of your issues can just be solved with not going with 4.3 when most recommend not going with 4.3 yet because a chunk of the mods are not working yet. Sorry for no great response but most are running 4.2.1 or below with no complaints.

Not downgrading. Baseband won't match, can't restore data from iOS 4.3 backup, and I know this from experience. I tried downgrading once and ended up nearly wiping my entire iPhone clean.
Also, my respring takes forever, like a minute. Used to be 20 seconds.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Jailbreaking isn't for everybody. I have most the same stuff installed and my battery is at 65% going since 6:30am but I'm sure it's the jailbreaks fault in your case! :rolleyes: and before you install 4.3 better read how some people are complaning about battery life there too! think your problem is 4.3 not the jb. I'm not even going to get into sn0wbreeze!

Thanks-for-the-info.jpg

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Try using springtomize it helps alot with things you can just shut off to save battery life. Jailbreaking is the best thing that happen since the iphone came out!! It frees you up from the evil genuis At&t and all their hidden charges!!

Tried it. Horrible. Interferes with WinterBoard, LockInfo, and for some reason, Activator.
Also, MobileSubstrate seems to be extremely stable with Sn0wbreeze. I think it's something else hogging my iPhone's resources.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
...well...like what?

Didn't read the part about being on 4.3.
Wait a few weeks for the public release of 4.3 to come out. I wouldn't even try to jailbreak 4.3 until then. I'm running 4.2.1 with all of the packages you have and more with no problems.

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Not downgrading. Baseband won't match, can't restore data from iOS 4.3 backup, and I know this from experience. I tried downgrading once and ended up nearly wiping my entire iPhone clean.
Also, my respring takes forever, like a minute. Used to be 20 seconds.

Well then I would just say restore your phone to 4.3 and wait till a decent JB comes out if you want to try again and recommend next time do more research to make sure it does not have quirks you cannot live with. Like tethered for me is an immediate no way will wait till its untethered.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Well this jailbreak thing is just not for u!!! Sorry bout your luck!! Ill keep u posted on how much fun im having with it!! LoL

So you would rather laugh at a guy having tons of trouble than try helping?

Please, I need some advice for fixing some of these problems! Like I said, I'm not un-jailbreaking till next week to give it another go. If nothing works, then I'll have to restore.

twezzyfbaby

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
columbus ohio
Well dude its like this u either wait until the right jb comes out like everybody eles or be in the spot your in now tryin to be the first to try out the 4.3 jb when it hasnt been tested or have a legit jb! Next time wait on the dev team or somebody eles has the untethered one.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
So you would rather laugh at a guy having tons of trouble than try helping?

Please, I need some advice for fixing some of these problems! Like I said, I'm not un-jailbreaking till next week to give it another go. If nothing works, then I'll have to restore.
Quite possibly there aren't any fixes for the problems you're experiencing. Uninstall it so you can at least use your phone properly, then try jailbreaking again once there is a stable 4.3 release. Then you'll be able to explore the whole jailbreaking "thing" without getting pissed off with it. Also this will give you plenty of time to read up on the subject.

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
FYI, I haven't installed Winterboard because that alone seemed to drain my battery and minorly impact performance. All I have is stuff for functionality: SBS, BiteSMS, TetherMe, LockCalendar, PkgBackup, and a Camera mod. In fact, I like my iPhone4 to look like stock, I think Apple did a great job and invested tons of money into designing it to look simple and clean. I don't understand all these people wanting to JB so they can change their phone to a messy, customized look. Also, I don't want people at the Apple store to be able to tell I am JB just by seeing I have some funky video wallpaper without even having to see Cydia installed. Point is, try uninstalling WinterBoard and other eye candy and see what doesn't hurt your bat...the JB apps I already mentioned do not hurt my battery/performance AT ALL (I charge my phone once every 3-4 days and its about 6+ months old)

From my experience and with the above JB, every one of your points on why not to JB is moot.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
1. I do not have this issue, never have and I've jailbroken and unlocked EVERY model of the iphone since it came out. Sounds like you got a crap unit.

2. Only the 3G and original iphone are sluggish to me. 3G S and 4 rock jailbroken.

3. Don't have this issue. I think you have a crap unit.

4. That's your own damn fault for using that buggy crap that the hack coder known as ih8sn0w creates. Stick to official jailbreaking apps from the dev teams.

5. No issues here.

6. No issues here.

7. There's tons of great content in my not so humble opinion.

8. Don't know what your problem is here.

9. Your own paranoia running rampant here.

10. That's your opinion and carries no weight with me.

Don't let the door hit you in the @#$! on the way out.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You installed SBsettings and Winterboard and expected to have decent battery life? The problem wasn't with the jb, it was with you.
I have tetherme, activator, batteryinfolite, comic shelf lite, iannounce, iretiner, mobile notifier and no accessory splash installed. While my battery isn't pre-jb par, it still lasts me most of the day.
I just love it when users won't place blame for jb problems where it belongs. :rolleyes:
I jailbroke my iPhone 4 iOS 4.3 with Sn0wbreeze. I liked the new features you get with jailbreaking (such as built-in 4-5 finger gestures), but there's too many reasons to uninstall.

1. Battery life.
WinterBoard
SBSettings + Activator
LockInfo
MobileNotifier
5-Icon Dock
InfiniFolders
VoiceActivator
That's even worse than my 70% drain in 8 hours before the jailbreak, and that in itself is bad.

2. Performance.
People say jailbreaking can make your phone look good with no compromise to performance. WRONG. SBSettings tell me more than 50% of my RAM is taken up all the time, and even if I uninstall every package except Activator, SBSettings, LockInfo and WinterBoard, the iPhone 4 still seems to be sluggish.

3. Heat.
This is directly related to the battery. It drains it so fast that sometimes the metal sides are scorching hot.

4. Random Shutdowns.
For those of you with 4.2.1, you might think of this as not that big of a deal. I don't use iOS 4.2.1, I use iOS 4.3 with Sn0wbreeze 2.3b4. Which means my jailbreak is tethered. If you ever tried a tethered jailbreak, you know how annoying this problem is.

Apps are unstable, much more unstable than before. Also, since this jailbreak is taking up 50%+ of my RAM, multitasking fails. Sometimes this is enough for the random shutdowns mentioned above.

6. Responsiveness.
Ever since my jailbreak, my iPhone has lost its snappiness. Home button clicks seem to be delayed, volume buttons don't respond well, apps take longer to load, scrolling is full of stutter.

7. Lack of content.
I first thought tons of good mods would be available, but not many packages are worth getting. Or, in other words, jailbreaking is too boring for me.

Yes, I am aware you can remove this jailbreak. I am also aware that if this phone gets FUBAR before I do this, Apple will not replace it. Same goes for bricking, viruses, and all of that wonderful stuff.
Speaking of which, I already am a bit worried. iTunes stopped recognizing my iPhone.

10. Lack of change
Not much is different. The only things that differ from Apple's iOS are the icons, SBSettings, icon count, lockscreen, and the color. I don't want to respring like 30 times to customize my iPhone the way I want it; it will only drain battery, and won't help this run faster.

If anyone wants to give suggestions for fixing some of these problems, go ahead. I won't be removing my jailbreak until next week; I'll give it one last try, so please give suggestions as to fix these issues. Thanks!
-Prodo123

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
You installed SBsettings and Winterboard and expected to have decent battery life? The problem wasn't with the jb, it was with you.
I have tetherme, activator, batteryinfolite, comic shelf lite, iannounce, iretiner, mobile notifier and no accessory splash installed. While my battery isn't pre-jb par, it still lasts me most of the day.
I just love it when users won't place blame for jb problems where it belongs. :rolleyes:

Yeah, my iOS 4.1 jailbreak didn't drain battery with WinterBoard and SBSettings last year. It was actually better than pre-jailbreak yesterday, then today it just took a dive for some reason.

Also, anyone got a fix for iTunes 10.2.1 not recognizing the iPhone? The computer recognizes it fine, though.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010

1. Battery life.
WinterBoard
SBSettings + Activator
LockInfo
MobileNotifier
5-Icon Dock
InfiniFolders
VoiceActivator

2. Performance.

3. Heat.

4. Random Shutdowns.

6. Responsiveness.

7. Lack of content.

10. Lack of change

-Prodo123

I've been jailbroken for about a year (few different firmwares) and I never experience any of these. My device runs fast and smooth while adding tweaks that benefit me. If you don't like the jailbreak then simply restore and move on. No need to post this rant. Half of us here think you're crazy for half the stuff you just said.

Cortezbanks

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lol sn0wbreeze

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.