Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danakin

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Toronto
Think of the "Astronomical" rents as a marketing expense and it makes a lot more sense.

The crazy thing is that some of these apple stores actually break even.

the location of the apple store is why people will pay several hundred dollars more for a Mac or a iPad when a similar PC or Tablet gets you 90% of the features and functionality.

it's the association with luxury.

again, all marketing.

Apple is not a luxury brand.
You can make the case for "Premium" but not "Luxury".
Bottom line, if your wares are sold at Walmart you're not "Luxury".

Reactions: planteater

PierrPB

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
It doesn’t make sense for Apple to do this as “Posturing” or to “save money.” They’ll be getting a good deal anyway, as mentioned above as a premium retailer to draw people to the property…. And at Apple’s margins, the cost of the store is a rounding error to profitability. If they want out, they want out for their own reasons. Maybe another property is available nearby?
157 Bloor... The former Club Monaco location is up for grabs. Right on transit (Museum Station), beautiful Royal Ontario Museum views and a nice setback from the street. I could see apple all over this, very much to the effect of the Champs-Élysées store.

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 12.56.56 PM.png

Did some digging and found some sort of record between UofT and Apple back in 2018 possibly having negotiations? Or am I just being hopeful?

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 12.54.31 PM.png

Timelordprime

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Toronto
For the record, that Bloor street portion is the most expensive in Canada for retailers.

It is surprising that Apple is ready to walk away. Unless Apple can secure another location around.
Well, a hop-skip-away is the former University Theatre, that has been unoccupied for over three years. But Apple would not be able to touch the facade as it is protected by heritage laws. There's a few other locations on the so-called "Mink Mile" that could host an Apple Store. Hudson's Bay will be available across the street.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
I am puzzled at the headline.

Apple has already decided to leave this deal.

It's not in JEOPARDY since it's already decided.

And it's not in "jeopardy" BECAUSE of legal battle since it's because of the delays.

The lawsuit is just the procedure to terminate the agreement.

Right?
I wrote the story and I disagree.

It is up to the court to decide if Apple is permitted to terminate the lease.

We don't know the word-for-word terms of the contract.

Apple says they can get out of the lease. Maybe so.

It could also just be a negotiation tactic to secure a better deal ultimately.

I respect if your opinion differs.

Timelordprime

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Toronto
I wrote the story and I disagree.

It is up to the court to decide if Apple is permitted to terminate the lease.

We don't know the word-for-word terms of the contract.

Apple says they can get out of the lease. Maybe so.

It could also just be a negotiation tactic to secure a better deal ultimately.

I respect if your opinion differs.
Keep in mind, Hudson Bay across the street at 2 Bloor St. East will become available at the end of May. There are no heritage restrictions to it, and Apple probably could have carte blanche in remaking that space. If Apple isn't suing to get out of the lease as a negotiation tactic, my bet is they already secured right of first refusal on the Hudson Bay property.

Reactions: derekww

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
157 Bloor... The former Club Monaco location is up for grabs. Right on transit (Museum Station), beautiful Royal Ontario Museum views and a nice setback from the street. I could see apple all over this, very much to the effect of the Champs-Élysées store.

View attachment 1983156

Did some digging and found some sort of record between UofT and Apple back in 2018 possibly having negotiations? Or am I just being hopeful?

View attachment 1983158

I've passed this space and thought that many times. Good find. The Club Monaco space is empty and available for lease but it's too small. The south part of the building is occupied by UofT. Apple would have to have them move out and possibly find them a different space or a lot of money to move out in any sort of negotiation.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
Keep in mind, Hudson Bay across the street at 2 Bloor St. East will become available at the end of May. There are no heritage restrictions to it, and Apple probably could have carte blanche in remaking that space. If Apple isn't suing to get out of the lease as a negotiation tactic, my bet is they already secured right of first refusal on the Hudson Bay property.
That is such an ugly building. It would need a massive overhaul to make sense for Apple. I think the former Club Monaco building that someone mentioned above makes more sense if Apple is planning to switch locations in the area.

Reactions: ipedro

blazerunner

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Slow development in Toronto? Shocking, LOL.

Toronto is a pathetic joke of a city. That city has only TWO subway lines and instead of expanding the subway, they decided to build a streetcar on one of the city's busiest and longest streets; Eglinton. They decided on this in 2007, didn't start building until FOUR YEARS LATER IN 2011 (lol) and STILL isn't done 11 years later.

Toronto has some of the worst development and city planners in the world. Apple should just cut it's losses and move on, they'd be wasting their time.

Timelordprime

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Toronto
That is such an ugly building. It would need a massive overhaul to make sense for Apple. I think the former Club Monaco building that someone mentioned above makes more sense if Apple is planning to switch locations in the area.
The University of Toronto owns the former Club Monaco building, and it has heritage protection. If that doesn't scare Apple off, good, but it is much smaller than the store would be at 1 Bloor West, or at 2 Bloor East.

Reactions: Joe Rossignol

PierrPB

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
The University of Toronto owns the former Club Monaco building, and it has heritage protection. If that doesn't scare Apple off, good, but it is much smaller than the store would be at 1 Bloor West, or at 2 Bloor East.
They have the money and they have the track record of not ruining, even enhancing, heritage buildings. I could see UofT agreeing to this. Apple Carnegie Library is a good example of what can be done, though this is absolutely a much smaller space. Maybe a glass box addition to the top?

Last edited:

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Slow development in Toronto? Shocking, LOL.

Toronto is a pathetic joke of a city. That city has only TWO subway lines and instead of expanding the subway, they decided to build a streetcar on one of the city's busiest and longest streets; Eglinton. They decided on this in 2007, didn't start building until FOUR YEARS LATER IN 2011 (lol) and STILL isn't done 11 years later.

Toronto has some of the worst development and city planners in the world. Apple should just cut it's losses and move on, they'd be wasting their time.

The slow development was primarily transit due to decades of political in-fighting at the city council level. But we’ve turned the corner with commitments from all three levels of government.
Commercial and residential development on the other hand is booming.

As far as it being a pathetic city, I wholly disagree. Sure, Toronto is the city other Canadians love to hate. Yet the majority of people immigrating head for TO. Find me a more diverse city in all of North America. There‘s a reason we’re consistently ranked as one of the most livable cities in the world.

We’re not perfect, but hardly pathetic.

Reactions: derekww and ipedro

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada

View attachment 1983156

View attachment 1983158

One other possible spot could be where the Planetarium was on Avenue Road just south of the ROM. I don’t know what’s going on with that property since they closed up, but it would be a prime location.

blazerunner

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
The slow development was primarily transit due to decades of political in-fighting at the city council level. But we’ve turned the corner with commitments from all three levels of government.
Commercial and residential development on the other hand is booming.

As far as it being a pathetic city, I wholly disagree. Sure, Toronto is the city other Canadians love to hate. Yet the majority of people immigrating head for TO. Find me a more diverse city in all of North America. There‘s a reason we’re consistently ranked as one of the most livable cities in the world.

We’re not perfect, but hardly pathetic.
Nobody moves to Toronto for any reason other than WORK. That's it. Toronto has NOTHING unique about itself. It is not a 'world class' city in any sense as it offers nothing any other major city does not. The fact that transit is as pathetic as it is, takes Toronto out of the running; if you can't adequately get from point A to B, the city is useless.

It's especially true with visitors. You ever heard anyone say "I'm going to Toronto on vacation!" LOOOOOOL.

Reactions: TVreporter

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I remember years ago going to a mall attached to my hotel in Toronto and using Apple's wifi for Skype, in the days before guest wifi in lobbies.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Nobody moves to Toronto for any reason other than WORK. That's it. Toronto has NOTHING unique about itself. It is not a 'world class' city in any sense as it offers nothing any other major city does not. The fact that transit is as pathetic as it is, takes Toronto out of the running; if you can't adequately get from point A to B, the city is useless.

It's especially true with visitors. You ever heard anyone say "I'm going to Toronto on vacation!" LOOOOOOL.
You could say the same things about Dallas, TX… which is set to replace Chicago as the 3rd largest city in the USA within the next 10 years. I don’t get it, I’m not sure even Dallas gets it. But people are moving there.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Usually such contracts have force majeure provisions. The dispute is whether a strike and pandemic are considered force majeure (usually they are), and whether those are proximate causes of the delays.
Force majeure typically extends the completion date of the contract but does not otherwise change the contract (in my experience).

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
One other possible spot could be where the Planetarium was on Avenue Road just south of the ROM. I don’t know what’s going on with that property since they closed up, but it would be a prime location.

The Planetarium site is already slated for a large UofT development:

36014-106268.jpeg

...yes, I know WT...F?

So, if Apple is going to take up any UofT property along the Mink Mile, the Club Monaco site is an absolute perfect fit.
I still think Apple will follow through with their custom made building at The One.

Reactions: satchmo

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Usually such contracts have force majeure exceptions. The dispute is whether a strike and pandemic is considered force majeure (usually a pandemic is), and whether those are proximate causes of the delays.

Mizrahi has been a total amateur with this far too ambitious for his first major development, but it's going to be straightforward to argue that the pandemic was a major contributor to this delay. Not only was there a government mandated prohibition on construction for some time after the pandemic hit, for most of the remaining time, there were government regulatory challenges running a site that were not anticipated when the deal was made. Not just an act of God, but an Act of Government – the one whose laws the court rules on.

The building was custom made to suit Apple – no, not just the retail space but the entire building was engineered the way it was to suit Apple's picky requests – and at this point the space is ready to be handed over for Apple to outfit their store in and the building podium and the sidewalk will be ready for the store opening by the time Apple finishes their own construction.

Ultimately, this will be decided by how a judge sees things but I'd say most judges will err on the side of maintaining a contract, specially given that Apple could take possession today if they so choose.

Reactions: wilberforce

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
The Planetarium site is already slated for a large UofT development:

View attachment 1983284

...yes, I know WT...F?

So, if Apple is going to take up any UofT property along the Mink Mile, the Club Monaco site is an absolute perfect fit.
I still think Apple will follow through with their custom made building at The One.

Yikes! Who approved that monstrosity?

The scale of the building in relationship to the surrounding ones is offensive.

macximum8

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
London, UK
I for one was pleased to hear Apple was thinking of opening in 'The One', it will a pity if they don't resolve the problems. If I ever make it to Toronto or Canada for that matter, I have every intention to pay this famous corner a visit!

For those of you that may be interested in the original site of 'The One', here's a little history... https://www.torontojourney416.com/stollerys/

Tim Stollery (sadly no relation as far as I know)!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If the original opening date was November 2019 then it seemed like a joke? There’s no way you could finish building a supertall skyscraper in 3 years. Speaking as a Torontoian, the physical site of the building is so small there would literally be no room for any construction work if the store opened, so there was no way they could have opened it before everything was fully complete. Surprised the folks at Apple didn’t walk around the site and put 2+2 together?
I live n work in the city but since 2020 I’ve always past Yonge & Bloor so is this building even finished yet? Whatever space was to host Apple Store I’ve never seen anything during construction 70% complete to even look like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.