Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was looking forward to this location. It's more convenient than the Eaton's Centre, as it is right at the intersection of the two main Toronto Transit Commission's (TTC) subway lines. Also, being right at ground level makes it a nicer experience as well. I'm hoping Apple does actually end up there, but I'm guessing the legal challenges deal with getting a better deal, now that the developer apparently missed many deadlines.

the convenience is only for those that live close or take TTC. Anyone driving is going to scream, even the green G parking lot just a block or two south behind Zanzibar would be packed on any given day.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
157 Bloor... The former Club Monaco location is up for grabs. Right on transit (Museum Station), beautiful Royal Ontario Museum views and a nice setback from the street. I could see apple all over this, very much to the effect of the Champs-Élysées store.

View attachment 1983156

Did some digging and found some sort of record between UofT and Apple back in 2018 possibly having negotiations? Or am I just being hopeful?

View attachment 1983158
Perfect location. Solid foundation. Easily accessible Queens park just down the street, 1 block away from larger parking amd not too busy main streets (except bloor).
the old Club Monaco building suits Apples desire for heritage like buildings. Also Subway is just 2mins walking distance away.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I for one was pleased to hear Apple was thinking of opening in 'The One', it will a pity if they don't resolve the problems. If I ever make it to Toronto or Canada for that matter, I have every intention to pay this famous corner a visit!

For those of you that may be interested in the original site of 'The One', here's a little history... https://www.torontojourney416.com/stollerys/

Tim Stollery (sadly no relation as far as I know)!

very od. Most of the pictures on that site face South West.
The One building is on South East corner.

ShufromChina

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Toronto, Canada
A signature store front at the Yonge/Bloor location certain fills the gap of the current Apple presence in Toronto... And I really cannot think of another street better suited for this.

For people who think this place could be a nightmare for parking... Yonge/Bloor generally isn't for drivers. Fairview Mall and Yorkdale are much better.

Reactions: satchmo

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I took these photos in August of 2021. You can see the glass was already up and even placement for perhaps an Apple logo.

1648640574615.png
1648640601709.png

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
wasn't this site build by a bunch of russian gangsters? probably wise to walk from this embarassment. anyhow, only tourists really end up at that intersection. i'm sure Apple can find something better in a proper location. get off younge street for starters. younge street is totally trashy. somebody is giving them bad advice.

Last edited:

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
the convenience is only for those that live close or take TTC. Anyone driving is going to scream, even the green G parking lot just a block or two south behind Zanzibar would be packed on any given day.

Brass Rail...you’re getting your strip clubs mixed up. ?

• Haha
Reactions: DeepIn2U

MYZ

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2021
Canada
Took 3 years to build the shard in London (a building of similar height). General practice is to construct the building, have a number of floors completed to allow some clients to move in then finish the remaining floors. That way you can start taking money before the building is completely fitted out. So, you would WANT to have a client like Apple to have a big shiny store to attract other businesses etc.
This building is much taller, much more ambitious engineering wise with the supercolumns, and on a much smaller site. With 70+ stories still needing to be built directly above, and literally zero setback from the entrances, in quite a windy city.

Plus standard practice of stores opening before full completion has always been limited to internal stores, or podium stores very seperated from any fall hazard, even in the most ideal scenarios.

Which is notably different from this proposed store, as its external, so heavy lifts must take place directly above the customer entrances. This building also uses super heavy glass panels, much like an Apple store in fact, so there’s no cheap way to erect a protective structure.

This has never been attempted before. Not anything close, especially right next to an intersection that is probably busier than most well known ones such as Times Square or Shibyua on a per-lane or per square foot of sidewalk basis.

Actually, Yonge and Bloor probably is the world’s busiest intersection on a per square foot of sidewalk basis, certainly of any city that gets snow.

So yeah if it’s somehow pulled off without a hitch this would BE the most ambitious thing Apple has ever done.

Maybe some kind of custom steel outrigging platform that climbs up along with construction?, that would probably make this the worlds most expensive Apple store by far. It would probably be more costly than the next 10 most expensive Apple stores combined! (excluding land costs)

Otherwise it seems unlikely this will be the first ever store Apple tolerates to have heavy objects being maneouvered directly over its customers? Literally thousands of window panes need to be installed over the course of several months on just the 2 sides with store frontage.

Especially as the site constraints means there’s no space to put waiting queues other than directly adjacent to the building.

But it also seems unlikely Apple would give a Toronto real estate developer hundreds of millions of dollars to attempt a world first in urban construction…

The only reasonable answer I can think of, assuming both parties in fact commited to Nov. 2019 or 2021 and weren’t playing games, is if they genuinely expected construction to simply only happen at night on the two sides with retail frontage. If you understand Toronto politics, which a Canadian law firm surely would, this would be impossible to get by as the city also has a very strict no building at night policy in the downtown core.

So yeah the only real explanation is that one or both parties were engaging in some clever date setting…

Last edited:

Timelordprime

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Toronto
One other possible spot could be where the Planetarium was on Avenue Road just south of the ROM. I don’t know what’s going on with that property since they closed up, but it would be a prime location.
That's not in the cards. The University of Toronto bought that land and plan to knock down the McLaughlin Planetarium as soon as they have approval from the city and erect a new building academic facility there.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
This building is much taller, much more ambitious engineering wise with the supercolumns, and on a much smaller site. With 70+ stories still needing to be built directly above, and literally zero setback from the entrances, in quite a windy city.

Plus standard practice of stores opening before full completion has always been limited to internal stores, or podium stores very seperated from any fall hazard, even in the most ideal scenarios.

Which is notably different from this proposed store, as its external, so heavy lifts must take place directly above the customer entrances. This building also uses super heavy glass panels, much like an Apple store in fact, so there’s no cheap way to erect a protective structure.

This has never been attempted before. Not anything close, especially right next to an intersection that is probably busier than most well known ones such as Times Square or Shibyua on a per-lane or per square foot of sidewalk basis.

Actually, Yonge and Bloor probably is the world’s busiest intersection on a per square foot of sidewalk basis, certainly of any city that gets snow.

So yeah if it’s somehow pulled off without a hitch this would BE the most ambitious thing Apple has ever done.

Maybe some kind of custom steel outrigging platform that climbs up along with construction?, that would probably make this the worlds most expensive Apple store by far. It would probably be more costly than the next 10 most expensive Apple stores combined! (excluding land costs)

Otherwise it seems unlikely this will be the first ever store Apple tolerates to have heavy objects being maneouvered directly over its customers? Literally thousands of window panes need to be installed over the course of several months on just the 2 sides with store frontage.

Especially as the site constraints means there’s no space to put waiting queues other than directly adjacent to the building.

But it also seems unlikely Apple would give a Toronto real estate developer hundreds of millions of dollars to attempt a world first in urban construction…

The only reasonable answer I can think of, assuming both parties in fact commited to Nov. 2019 or 2021 and weren’t playing games, is if they genuinely expected construction to simply only happen at night on the two sides with retail frontage. If you understand Toronto politics, which a Canadian law firm surely would, this would be impossible to get by as the city also has a very strict no building at night policy in the downtown core.

So yeah the only real explanation is that one or both parties were engaging in some clever date setting…
The shard is 309.6 m (1,016 ft), The One will be 308.6 metres (1,012 ft).

MYZ

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2021
Canada
The shard is 309.6 m (1,016 ft), The One will be 308.6 metres (1,012 ft).
The architectural height is mostly for vanity nowadays, the actual difficult engineering challenge is in the highest habitable floor. Which is much greater on The One. Anyone who seriously understands building design knows that.

Also, it’s not even confirmed that will be the final height of The One, (certainly not to a tenth of a meter!), regardless of what your google searches tell you. In fact there is a proposal from the developer to increase the maximum height of the building in the city permitting process right now. Which you would know if you really investigated the topic.

Your so off base it makes me wonder if you simply posted the first authoratively sounding result you found without actually thinking to get a lazy rebuttal in.

Last edited:

Timelordprime

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Toronto
The One Declares Bankruptcy
On 19 October 2023, the company that is building "The One" at 1 Bloor Street West, in Toronto, sought bankruptcy protection. The receiver will continue building the tower and it's expected to be completed no earlier than March 2025. It was supposed to be finished this year.

Story from Toronto's CP24 all news television channel.

Timelordprime

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Toronto
Any updates on where or if Apple will locate a store in the Yorkville district in Toronto? The old Club Monoco building is leased and there is another retailer there now. Lots of work going on at the former Hudson’s Bay building, but no indication that it is in prep for a new Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.