Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pedro147

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
Australia
Hello! I have the same problem. I have a 2017 13” MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.

I feel very frustrated that Apple is not taking responsibility on their faulty design problem with the flex gate. There is No Backlight and there is stage light in the ottom of the screen.

If you are having the same problem PLEASE report this issue, and LETS MAKE OUR VOICE GET HEARD!

This is unacceptable that as customers we are paying for premium quality products and Apple is not taking action on this problem that is a faulty design on the product.

If you are reading this, please help us solve this huge problem so that the MacBook Pro 13” 2017 is inculded in the Apple Program.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Apple Customer
UKSL MacLab in the UK and quite a few other quality third part Macbook technicians worldwide are offering this repair devised by UKSL MacLab in the UK

Reactions: aroushka

aroushka

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2021
This happened to my mac today and it's highly disappointing. My device is in perfect health and condition and all of a sudden, it just wouldn't charge.

I have the 2017 MacBook Pro, 13inches - A1708

I initially thought it was just a charger gone bad and it wouldn't cost too much to replace it.

At the service center in Mumbai, I was told that it could be a battery issue which would cost me $470USD, or it's an issue with the display which would cost me $670 to fix. I found this rather odd because my device is charging, and the screen looks perfect, no dead pixels, no lines, no changes in color....

He then tells me that I can turn it on at a 45 degree or lesser angle and it would work. I realized that it was not a screen or a battery issue and has to do with the cables. A bunch of googling got me to Flexgate.

It's terrible, I can't afford to pay and fix this. My trust in Apple has gone.

Rossco8883

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2021
I brought me and my father new macbook pro s in 2017. In the recent months (Aug 2021) BOTH laptops have lines on the screen!!! This is a obvious design default and we have recieved no help from apple, only the option to pay £700 for repair which is rediculous. I've never had such a bad product with and obvious design problem. We are both really unhappy and I feel sorry for all the other people that have the same problem. Did anyone find another solition? Please help!

Attachments

• eaf4d4c4-4f5f-4bf5-a036-d3538495e404.JPG
    eaf4d4c4-4f5f-4bf5-a036-d3538495e404.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 70

Mehran1989

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2021
This happened to my mac today and it's highly disappointing. My device is in perfect health and condition and all of a sudden, it just wouldn't charge.

I have the 2017 MacBook Pro, 13inches - A1708

I initially thought it was just a charger gone bad and it wouldn't cost too much to replace it.

At the service center in Mumbai, I was told that it could be a battery issue which would cost me $470USD, or it's an issue with the display which would cost me $670 to fix. I found this rather odd because my device is charging, and the screen looks perfect, no dead pixels, no lines, no changes in color....

He then tells me that I can turn it on at a 45 degree or lesser angle and it would work. I realized that it was not a screen or a battery issue and has to do with the cables. A bunch of googling got me to Flexgate.

It's terrible, I can't afford to pay and fix this. My trust in Apple has gone.
I have the backlight issue which is delegate issue for 2016 and 2017 model but unfortunately they are only covering 2016 models only. It's ridiculous to pay 52K for an issue which is a manufacturer issue. I think we should collectively write to apple feedback maybe they consider it under quality program

Attachments

• 20210810_160648.jpg
    20210810_160648.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 52

NikolaPervan

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2023
Macbook Pro 13 with touchbar, bought 30.4.2019. I keep it in mint condition as all my electronic devices.. and this happened today.. Dissapointment.. especially when Apples authorized service asks me for 50 euros just to check and identify if this is the flat cable problem at all... as old user and fanboy with many apple devices owned personally and inside the company, thats so low...

arunmv11

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2022
IMG_3821.jpg

Apple refused to repair my 2016 macbook pro saying that the repair program covers only the backlight cable and not the data-line.
They think people are fools. All the 4 cables that connects the display are of same quality and must be covered under the repair program.
CMwyI9u_bZE-H11D.jpg

(Cable Pic from youtube)

In my case one of the LCD Dataline cable is broken and apple is not ready to provide free repair.

Here's the reply from Apple Service Center:
As per the quality program we can cover the display if display is having only backlight issue's for particular models but in this case, display is having the flickering issue, henceforth we are unable to cover the display as per quality program policy.
Note: Device is eligible for quality program time period but doesn't match the terms and conditions of the program which is announced by the apple.

I'm Thinking to sue them here in India.

Odessa

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2021
my gf has a 14 m1 pro in mint condition and it is already showing signs of dustgate (one red/pink 1px line showing vertically on the screen intermittently) computer is 2yr old without apple care so no luck i guess?

Reactions: Gravydog316

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
my gf has a 14 m1 pro in mint condition and it is already showing signs of dustgate (one red/pink 1px line showing vertically on the screen intermittently) computer is 2yr old without apple care so no luck i guess?
(as a girl, surprise her with a new one & donate the old one to someone who can use it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.