Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I'm running iOS 9.3.2 on my iPhone 6s+. Out of curiosity I checked my cellular data usage since the last statistics reset I did a week ago, and to my shock I see that the Flickr app has burned through 4.5 GB in that week.

I like Flickr, and I find the app enjoyable to use. In that week I probably browsed through 300 photos (a conservative guess). Does this seem right? Is it feeding full size 10 MB image files to every connected client? I mean, talk about lack of optimization!

Anyone else seeing this?

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Flickr does not compress photos. If you browse, it'll cache (download) what you're seeing. If list, small images. If you click on some image, it will download it completely. If the image is 10mb, that's how much data it'll suck from your data.

You can cache photos when on WIFI, but Flickr doesn't have a limit. My Flickr app is using 900mb. For me to decrease that, only uninstalling the app and installing it again. Google Photos can set a limit (but offer only 15GB storage without compressing your photos).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.