Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
well i downloaded and launched the graphical client (this is worse than the terminal, who are the idiots at stanfurd programming these things?) and went to display protein since this seems to be the only option. it shows a protein "no news is good news" and 0.0% progress.

so is the terminal app not doing anything?
Each percent takes a while to complete, depending upon which protein they give you to fold. But it will take a while before you will see any percentage appear.

Did your .bin app launch? If so, it's running, and that's about as much info as you'll get out of it. The Winblows DOS version gives more info, unfortunately.

Also, the console and graphical versions run off different files. The files for the graphical client are encapulated in the .app, whereas the ones for the console client are not. So even if you did have work done with the console, it would not show up in the graphical, or vice-versa.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
ok just checked top and core65.ex is using 88% of my cpu. thats with mozilla, itunes, photoshop, dreamweaver, mail, and adium running. kinda weird i cant feel it running, but thats fine by me. just wish it would make some progress.

That's because it uses your idle CPU time.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: neat idea

Originally posted by merman637
im not sure that i 100% understand the purpose behind this, however i joined the team also...i assume processing power helps?!...what about a DP800???...anything to help the macrumors team....

Use this beta to enable both the processors on your DP rig. It's a button that doesn't seem to have an switch equivalent.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by kishba
how do you quit the terminal app and save the data you've been working on ?
You can send an interrupt to the OS by typing ctrl-C. You can only save frames that you have completed, so you'll kick back to the one that you last started if you quit.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Seems that the verbosity switch does have a small effect.

Try this: launch the .bin with the switch -verbosity 9

That should pop up some more text in your console:
Protein: proteinAg29a (or whatever you're folding)
-Frames Completed: X, Remaining: 100
-Dynamic Steps Required:XX0000
That way, every time you relaunch the binary, you get which frame you're on. Just don't do it often, as it doesn't save anything between frames. I don't think this tells you what frame you're on, like the DOS version does by default, but we all know where their development efforts are. :)

Hope this helps.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Sorry guys, I have gone back to SETI for a while! I will continue the hunt for maccentral when the new client comes out that is Altivec optimised! My Dual 1Ghz will be screeming along on that.

Dr. Distortion

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
People, I've told you this before:

please get Folding Control from http://macaddict4life.dhs.org
it will automatically download the cli version of f@h, install it, and add it to the crontab so it auto-starts after a reboot. It will also install 2 f@h cores for dual processor machines.
The simple gui will show you the progress of each f@h core, and it will let you set up user and team details.

Happy Folding :)

oh, you might want to take a look at my folding stats, user name = drdistortion

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by Dr. Distortion
People, I've told you this before:

please get Folding Control from http://macaddict4life.dhs.org
it will automatically download the cli version of f@h, install it, and add it to the crontab so it auto-starts after a reboot. It will also install 2 f@h cores for dual processor machines.
The simple gui will show you the progress of each f@h core, and it will let you set up user and team details.

Happy Folding :)

oh, you might want to take a look at my folding stats, user name = drdistortion

So why don't you leave the MacAddict4Life team and come help us out?:p

lordsinforge

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2002
Ithaca, NY
Alright, I got a PeeCee sitting on my dest at work, and seeing how I don't use it much (I just use my iBook) I figgure I'll turn it into a dedicated macrumors machine, It's only a PII but every bit right.
I also have a p4 comming soon so I may run folding on that and use the p2 for seti, try and help out both the teams.

Hey, I gotta find a use for the damn things anyway right? :p

LordSin

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
hey mc68k... how many machines do you have running folding... you have contributed so much that i'm curious..

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Everyone who is using the Folding Control, make sure you have entered your user and team designation or else your units are going to the MacAddict4Life team.

kishba-
If you look on mc68k's stats page you can see that he is running around 30 CPUs...I should know, he's running it in our lab.:D

T

TypeR389

I'm in as well

Ok, have one CPU doing Seti, one CPU doing folding...

merman637

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2002
Oklahoma City, Ok
when do i become a member???

ive done several work units now and still im not listed as a member of group 3446 ...what gives!??...am i doing something wrong?...under my prefs pane im setting my group # to 3446 and still no member???any help me out?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: when do i become a member???

Originally posted by merman637
ive done several work units now and still im not listed as a member of group 3446 ...what gives!??...am i doing something wrong?...under my prefs pane im setting my group # to 3446 and still no member???any help me out?

Looks like you're there to me:

Attachments

• merman.jpg
    merman.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 239

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
They had major server problems yesterday…but other than that, it sounds like your having a problem there.

What kind of app did you use to run folding? Are the username/team correct? Did it confirm completion and did they send you another protein? I'd give it one more day, then I'd say they didn't get it for whatever reason.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
i'm using the folding control program and my username and group number are correct

i was sent another protein (i'm pretty certain... i can't remember the exact name of the one before.. i could be wrong)

i'll keep hoping... :) i have a few more units almost done (from other machines) hopefully they get sent in

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i just got like 3 done the last night and today... seems to have been big pointers too. they were the ones i wanted done a few days ago, but oh well..

keeeeeep it up!

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i just got like 3 done the last night and today... seems to have been big pointers too. they were the ones i wanted done a few days ago, but oh well..

keeeeeep it up!
I saw your score shoot up, good work. :) Your efforts are appreciated.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by mc68k

I saw your score shoot up, good work. :) Your efforts are appreciated.

thanks cap'n.. ha

yeah, i guess i've been getting the huge 5 pointers lately. it's good, but i recently had to relocate my system and so i had about 3 days down. and now i am planning a reformatting so that will take me down for a day probably. but til then, fold on!

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
well after 6 days and three times restarting my protein i finally finished my first WU! woohoo! one problem... i seem to have restarted the same protein. im tired of 601 proteinA. been there done that. fourth time now. im thinking about quitting. this is just stupid and way too much trouble. if stanfurd is too stupid to write a proper app then they can do without my cpus. can you tell imfrustrated?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
well after 6 days and three times restarting my protein i finally finished my first WU! woohoo! one problem... i seem to have restarted the same protein. im tired of 601 proteinA. been there done that. fourth time now. im thinking about quitting. this is just stupid and way too much trouble. if stanfurd is too stupid to write a proper app then they can do without my cpus. can you tell imfrustrated?

what problems have you had? i haven't had any problems in the course of my folding.

what up wit dat?

i've done a bunch of the same proteins but it's not that big a deal. still helps and counts. i don't really get much excitement out of which protein i'm working on, so whatever they give me is fine with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.