Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I have been looking into dual processing FAH 3.0 and it seems that it is just not possible. Even Folding Control says that multiprocessing has been disabled for reasons that are the fault of FAH.

When you have 2 processors working on the same WU you just end up destroying the information in the WU.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen
I have been looking into dual processing FAH 3.0 and it seems that it is just not possible. Even Folding Control says that multiprocessing has been disabled for reasons that are the fault of FAH.

When you have 2 processors working on the same WU you just end up destroying the information in the WU.

That's really f'ed up....I thought that at least if both CPUs were crunching the WU it would at least go twice as fast...Stanford better get their crap together and fix this bug.:mad:

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen

I ran 2 FAH's successfully on a DP GIG QS. You just have to have 2 seperate folders with duplicate contents, except for the client.cfg file.

Process:

o Download F@H Console
o Open terminal
o chmod +x the F@H binary
o create 2 new folders, F@H1 and F@H2
o drop the binary in F@H1
o change directory to F@H1
o excecute binary in F@H1
o wait 'till it dowloads core, and starts folding
o ^C the binary to terminate execution
o drag the binary and newly created core file to F@H2
o open new terminal window
o change directory to
o excecute binary in F@H2

Unfortuneately, F@H3 stores the files in your /Users/[username]Library/Folding@home subdirectory. So if there's only one location for the config files, then you can't create multiple client ID's. So if you want multiprocessing bad enough, then get F@H2. It's pretty much the same thing.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
welcome back charlie.....

how was the trip, how's the computer? etc.

having a dual 800 i have yet to switch to fah3 and i guess i probably won't unless there's a folding control for it with dual support.... hmm

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
welcome back charlie.....

how was the trip, how's the computer? etc.

Not bad. Thanks for the welcome, jimbo. Glad to be back in action. Probably the last family vacation I will go on. 9 days is enough for me. Ironically enough my "new" 9600/300 came the day I left, so it was taunting me from afar the whole time, beckoning me. But now we're together again, making music to the tune of 10.2. Gonna throw some U160 SCSI in there. Have had it up to here with EIDE cheap crap (controllers and drives included). Time to get some real hardware.
having a dual 800 i have yet to switch to fah3 and i guess i probably won't unless there's a folding control for it with dual support.... hmm
Good idea. There's really not that much that's different AFAICT except for a few minor things. I liked being able to fiddle around with the innards at my liesure.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by mc68k
Not bad. Thanks for the welcome, jimbo. Glad to be back in action. Probably the last family vacation I will go on. 9 days is enough for me. Ironically enough my "new" 9600/300 came the day I left, so it was taunting me from afar the whole time, beckoning me. But now we're together again, making music to the tune of 10.2. Gonna throw some U160 SCSI in there. Have had it up to here with EIDE cheap crap (controllers and drives included). Time to get some real hardware.

9 days is a long time for sure...

please explain the u160 scsi vs eide.... for me and any other non nerd... i'm sure there's at least one other on here.. ha.

word.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA

please explain the u160 scsi vs eide.... for me and any other non nerd... i'm sure there's at least one other on here.. ha.

word.

Sorry, you're the only one, it's not worth our time.:rolleyes:

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002

word.
Well, the big difference in the SCSI interface is that it is multithreaded. Meaning that it takes a load off the CPU and is well suited for multiple devices. EIDE is CPU intensive and only handles two devices per channel.

SCSI HDDs are fast and reliable, albeit expensive. IDE HDDs are cheap, slow and generally sh|tty.

The only reason IDE exists is because of mass distribution of computers. Apple was all over the SCSI scene for many years until they had to compete with the PC market. Then SCSI was a BTO option. Then the ultimate insult:Xserve is RAID EIDE. That's not a true server. No wonder there's status lights everywhere— it's full of EIDE drives waiting to throw bits into a black hole!

Summary: SCSI good. EIDE bad.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Well, the big difference in the SCSI interface is that it is multithreaded. Meaning that it takes a load off the CPU and is well suited for multiple devices. EIDE is CPU intensive and only handles two devices per channel.

SCSI HDDs are fast and reliable, albeit expensive. IDE HDDs are cheap, slow and generally sh|tty.

The only reason IDE exists is because of mass distribution of computers. Apple was all over the SCSI scene for many years until they had to compete with the PC market. Then SCSI was a BTO option. Then the ultimate insult:Xserve is RAID EIDE. That's not a true server. No wonder there's status lights everywhere— it's full of EIDE drives waiting to throw bits into a black hole!

Summary: SCSI good. EIDE bad.

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Our precious secrets!!! You must not distribute them to the ignorant non-nerds!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
scsi drives also are faster... at least they can be... right? ie, up to like 15000rpm and whatnot..?

just curious, what type of stuff are you doing that the hard drive speeds and whatnot will affect it that much?

i could see doing video and audio and all that...

and scsi drives generally aren't as big (obviously more money/gb, but also not as big in general, right?)

how much would it cost to set up a couple scsi drives with my dp 800?

teach me senor charles.

ps. told you so rower... no wonder i hate you

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
scsi drives also are faster... at least they can be... right? ie, up to like 15000rpm and whatnot..?
Yes, they come in 7200, 10K, and 15K speeds.

just curious, what type of stuff are you doing that the hard drive speeds and whatnot will affect it that much?
I want speed dammit.

i could see doing video and audio and all that...
I mostly am interested in the access times being fast and the drives having a 5 year warranty. That means quality construction.

and scsi drives generally aren't as big (obviously more money/gb, but also not as big in general, right?)
True, the ones that most people buy are 18 and 36 GB and cost a lot. But for mass storage, I have EIDE drives. I'm mostly interested in my OS being on the U160 drive.

how much would it cost to set up a couple scsi drives with my dp 800?
Retail 29160N card is ~300. Retail 18GB 15K Cheetah is ~215-270.
eBay prices are significantly cheaper. I would not buy new retail products. Go used to save $. The cards are more to worry about then the drives because of the 5 yr warranty. I would look for a shrink-wrapped box on the card.

I just bought a ATA/133 drive for my Acard 133 controller, but it had major problems. So if I can't have 133, I want 160. I've had to reformat my drive too many times. I'm at the point where if reliability means paying a little extra, then I'll pony up.

Beast, I want my machine to be a beast.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by pgwalsh

and your opinion on firewire drives?
FireWire is a serial PnP interface. It is good for cameras and quick PnP storage.

As for it being a high-end powerful interface, it isn't. The overhead of the PnP functionality increases with the more drives that you add. For HDDs, a powerful 7200 EIDE drive bottlenecks through the chipset and bandwith limitations inherent in the interface. For quick backup purposes, FiWi is a good solution. For amateur to prosumer video editing, it is a good solution.

For anything high bandwith, it's slow. The standard was prob invented in the mid 90's and the connector is 5 years old and running. It's time for something new.

USB— replacement of ADB and serial connectors
FiWi— replacement of external SCSI connector
IDE— replaced SCSI for cost reasons
SCSI— continues to be refined and fully backwards compatible

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
so say i got a card and the drive.... i'd be able to boot from that external drive then i assume?

i had a scsi card with my old computer but got rid of it... just figured it was a thing of the past pretty much... hmm. ahh well

don't have the cash to do that type of upgrading now. but when i do, i'll check the specs on the end line for the rotary girder with you. thanks for the info

ps. that was a tommy boy reference. pay no attention

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
so say i got a card and the drive.... i'd be able to boot from that external drive then i assume?
SCSI at this point is all internal. Devices that used to be SCSI external are now FiWi.

i had a scsi card with my old computer but got rid of it... just figured it was a thing of the past pretty much... hmm. ahh well
For most people it is. The card you threw away prob was a SCSI-1 or 2 which are pretty much useless now, save legacy comapt.

SCSI will be here for years to come as a rigid reliable standard. It is far from obsolete.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
SCSI at this point is all internal. Devices that used to be SCSI external are now FiWi.

so you have the scsi card in a pci slot? or is there some other place it goes? again, pardon my ignorance.

and you just get rid of the 'normal' internal drive(s) and use the scsi in its place eh?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
so you have the scsi card in a pci slot? or is there some other place it goes? again, pardon my ignorance.
Yes, they have 32-bit and 64-bit wide PCI cards. They're compatible in a 66MHz PCI slot too.

and you just get rid of the 'normal' internal drive(s) and use the scsi in its place eh?
Yes, or you can keep both. Your choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.