Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Originally posted by mc68k
6 teams, that's 10%! The mac teams have quite a presence, and our team hasn't found our "true" ranking yet. :D

Sadly, most machines I'm running are PC's for a mac team. :eek:

only 2 of the 30 some computers running with my username are macs's.... my macs don't do much folding by themselves because i'm usually doing actual work with them ;)

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by mc68k
6 teams, that's 10%! The mac teams have quite a presence, and our team hasn't found our "true" ranking yet. :D

Sadly, most machines I'm running are PC's for a mac team. :eek:

After getting pissed off with Folding Control after is suddenly stopped working on a couple of machines after the upgrade to 3.0 was released (Go figure, I thought it would still work fine but on the old core) I have followed your words of wisdom and started core 3 on terminal only.
:) ;) :D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by mmmdreg
let's try and be the best Mac team out there..well at least in the top 5 (are we there yet?)

Looks like we're 5th among Mac teams...unless I left someone out:
18 - MacAddict4Life
23 - Team MacOS X
25 - Team Macphilez
32 - Team MacNN
44 - MacRumors.com - Team Folding

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
hey fellow folders...

i just found a way to use the latest folding client (v3) on the mac and STILL see the progress of your protein WITHOUT running the folding @ home control...

i'm using a program called DesktopConsole that overlays any text file/log over your desktop (you can download the program from versiontracker.com)

i set up the program to overlay the FAH's log and it now displays "Finished a frame (XX)" on my desktop!!

very cool, very efficient, and a great time saver

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I am having a lot of trouble with the terminal on multiple processors

I have installed the app twice, both in my user folder but one in a folder called "Folding@Home" and one in a folder called "Folding@Home2".

The first app is "OSX-3.0" and the second is "OSX2-3.0".

When I load them both the terminal says they are both processing the same work unit BUT the CPU monitor says 100% on both processors.

YAY - That makes 500 messages

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen
I am having a lot of trouble with the terminal on multiple processors

I have installed the app twice, both in my user folder but one in a folder called "Folding@Home" and one in a folder called "Folding@Home2".

The first app is "OSX-3.0" and the second is "OSX2-3.0".

When I load them both the terminal says they are both processing the same work unit BUT the CPU monitor says 100% on both processors.

YAY - That makes 500 messages

Folding@Home 3 places all your work in ~/Library/Folding@home, so that's why you're working on the same unit...but as long as both CPUs are crunching away on it, then it comes out even. 2 WUs at regular speed is the same as 1 at 2x the speed.:)

Nice 'tar...is that the Rendezvous logo?

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Folding@Home 3 places all your work in ~/Library/Folding@home, so that's why you're working on the same unit...but as long as both CPUs are crunching away on it, then it comes out even. 2 WUs at regular speed is the same as 1 at 2x the speed.:)

Nice 'tar...is that the Rendezvous logo?

Thanks... yeah, it is the Rendezvous logo but I have to make it bigger... i will do another render tonight or something.

I was worried they would clash if they are working on the same unit.... I'll start off the 2nd processor again, then
:)

L

littlejim

New Folding Control

I've just seen, there is a new version of Folding Control that offers F@H 3 compatability At Version Tracker

And BTW - Way to go kishba! We're going to need every WU we can get ... looks like there are a couple of other fast moving teams coming up on the rails ...

---------------------------------
littlejim a.k.a. captainpovey

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Re: New Folding Control

Originally posted by littlejim
And BTW - Way to go kishba! We're going to need every WU we can get ... looks like there are a couple of other fast moving teams coming up on the rails

well i had to take the lab of 30 computers offline because of a summer school activity... i won't have time before school starts to get it up again... that means i only have 7 computers at work running now... and 2 at home

sorry guys :(

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Re: New Folding Control

Originally posted by kishba
well i had to take the lab of 30 computers offline because of a summer school activity... i won't have time before school starts to get it up again... that means i only have 7 computers at work running now... and 2 at home

We feel your pain here in our lab as well, we've had workshops running for the last two weeks, and our ouput is pretty low right now.

We'll get 4 more good weeks in August, but when school starts up in September...:confused:

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Re: Re: New Folding Control

…but when school starts up in September...:confused:
Pray to the screensaver gods that they will grant us much downtime and idle-ness. No more console. :(

Our team (and output sometimes) has more than doubled since I've been aboard. At least we'll stay within the top 100.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Re: New Folding Control

Originally posted by kishba

Can you set up the screen saver???

7 + 2, or 9, is a lot of computers, all the same... you are a HUGE help to the cause. Every machine makes a difference....

I think I should start promoting World Vision or something
ROFLMAO

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Re: Re: Re: New Folding Control

Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen

Can you set up the screen saver???

7 + 2, or 9, is a lot of computers, all the same... you are a HUGE help to the cause. Every machine makes a difference....

I think I should start promoting World Vision or something
ROFLMAO

well it wouldn't help any... the security software reboots the computers every 90 minutes (when it's idle) and completely resets it back to an image... and i can't store FAH on the network because not everyone would have access to the same folders, etc

oh well

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
After racking up 860 SETI wu's, I think I'll wait until the folks at Berkeley start using southern hemisphere data from the Parkes Observatory in Australia before I crunch anymore alien signals. Which means...

I'VE REJOINED F@H !!!

I have a different name, though, as I was an old Genome@Home user.

And I'm tossing in my Mobile Pentium II @ 366 MHz into the enterprise, as well, having downloaded the new 3.0 client -- which runs about as fast as my 500 MHz iBook's client.

Graphical non-screensaver for both.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
After racking up 860 SETI wu's, I think I'll wait until the folks at Berkeley start using southern hemisphere data from the Parkes Observatory in Australia before I crunch anymore alien signals. Which means...

I'VE REJOINED F@H !!!

I have a different name, though, as I was an old Genome@Home user.

And I'm tossing in my Mobile Pentium II @ 366 MHz into the enterprise, as well, having downloaded the new 3.0 client -- which runs about as fast as my 500 MHz iBook's client.

Graphical non-screensaver for both.

Welcome to the team!:)

Our labs will return to full strength next week, so we should be seeing a good upswing of output.

Keep at it folks, we should take 44th place soon, but 43 and 42 are over 1000 and 2000 points away, respectively...we're in for the long haul.:D

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Welcome back to the team PimentoLoaf!

I think that we need a strategy to bring more and more people to our team.

What do you guys think that we should do?

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand

Keep at it folks, we should take 44th place soon, but 43 and 42 are over 1000 and 2000 points away, respectively...we're in for the long haul.:D
On the Statsman page we're already 44th place. We bounced around a little I think Lucidsoft sneaked by us recently.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by pgwalsh
On the Statsman page we're already 44th place. We bounced around a little I think Lucidsoft sneaked by us recently.

I go by the Folding home page, which includes the "no team" team...but either way you shake it, the next two teams will take a while to pass.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
Guys we need to speed up! We have the TAB Folding Team right behind us!

We need more users to help us!

Actually, we just passed them for 43rd.:)

The Statsman page ( http://statsman.org/folding2stats/html/ ) shows a lot of info as far as rate of scoring goes.

There are two teams that are in position to pass us in the next month or two:
StorageForum.net - 2,040.92 points per week - 45th place
Team Austech.Info - 2,002.70 points per week - 48th place

We're averaging 1309.08 points per week right now, but hopefully we'll pick back up this next week once I get the lab running at full steam again.:)

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Rower

What kind of strategy should we have to bring more users to our team? Do you think that we should create a new Thread bringing attention to Folding@home and how to join? We are 43rd in the teams ranking and that is very good!! We are all doing a good job, specially you and mc68k! But we need more "new blood" in our team. Do you have any sugestions? Do you agree with the new thread idea?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I think a new thread is a great idea...especially since this one is pretty old/long, and no longer applies to our current ranking.

I think our success has brought a lot of new members, but a little reminding and information couldn't hurt.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.