Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Me, because every 36 hours latest I have to reboot or get a deep frozen system. So happen last Friday. I still could login via VPN but reboot failed. Great. Lost half day with a lazy system.
So I had big hope in nv 331 but learned my lessen: listen to the elderly in [H]
Anyway: back in business, still the ramdisk to be done.

wow. is that a Linux issue? I get odd variances under Win7 but nothing like a total freeze-up.

and it's true, isn't it? those old-timers like tear, musky, grandpa and 402blownstroker really know their stuff!

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
wow. is that a Linux issue? I get odd variances under Win7 but nothing like a total freeze-up.

It's an NVIDIA thing - the windows driver was fixed back in August - I waited for that to settle down before committing to a 780 but they still seem to be struggling with the Linux release.

Seeing as I'm being forced to use windows anyway, I've expanded my AMD arsenal with a pair of 7790s.

Fairly lightweight compared with the titans and 780s but surprisingly potent:

39k PPD each for very little power and running at a cool and quiet 55 degreeC

I could get 5 for the price of another 780 and the knockdown price 7970s are also looking tempting but they are a bit too power hungry for most of my old CPU rigs...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
It's an NVIDIA thing - the windows driver was fixed back in August - I waited for that to settle down before committing to a 780 but they still seem to be struggling with the Linux release.

Seeing as I'm being forced to use windows anyway, I've expanded my AMD arsenal with a pair of 7790s.

I could get 5 for the price of another 780 and the knockdown price 7970s are also looking tempting but they are a bit too power hungry for most of my old CPU rigs...

which nvidia driver are you using?

7790s putting out 39k? i could have sworn i had a 7850 that only got 22k, so i returned it. you have sparked my interest.

agreed on the 7970s. even though i have one, and have no problems, i don't think i'll get anymore.

i've still got my 2006 mac pro running (typing on it now). this thing just won't die. no point in selling it, won't get anything for it. can't really upgrade much in it, not worth the money. and i can't buy another rig without getting rid of one i already have. i just can't get rid of my baby

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
which nvidia driver are you using?

7790s putting out 39k? i could have sworn i had a 7850 that only got 22k, so i returned it. you have sparked my interest.

I'm using 327.23 under Windows 7 - no issues to report

22k does seem very low. I'm ~50k on a 7870 and ~90k on a 7970 so I'd expect 40k ish.
It feels like the current projects / cores still aren't fully optimised for the bigger AMD cards, favouring fewer faster cores - much like a couple of years back when over-clocked GT430s could fight it out with the 480s. I've got a box of them and I'd rather not do the same with 7790s this time around...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'm using 327.23 under Windows 7 - no issues to report

22k does seem very low. I'm ~50k on a 7870 and ~90k on a 7970 so I'd expect 40k ish.
It feels like the current projects / cores still aren't fully optimised for the bigger AMD cards, favouring fewer faster cores - much like a couple of years back when over-clocked GT430s could fight it out with the 480s. I've got a box of them and I'd rather not do the same with 7790s this time around...

thanks. yeah maybe i didn't give the 7850 enough of a chance. oh well, too late now. but it's good to see less power-hungry cards get some decent points

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto

In kinda the same boat here; stuck with Windows and by now running out of GPU slots so have to be content with what I'm running now... still good though!

Lots of old members coming back which is great to see!

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
yes. the temps make a huge difference. just the temps in the room is huge.

thanks for sharing that data point -- I had no idea! (when people referred to fewer points in the summer I always thought they were reducing refclocks or shutting down entirely...)

Now I'll have to keep an eye on my TPFs. I just moved the big rig up into the living room to use some of that waste heat :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.