Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
i haven't bought any windows copies lately, but yeah i'd stick with win 7. i haven't messed with win 8 yet, and don't really plan to if i can help it.

yeah you gotta get a 4p rig someday. you know you want one! ;)

It's what everyone should have! :p and yeah, you can use it for all kinds of things like, like you know, whatever... by the way what do you think the new MP's will get for ppd; folding? I think it won't be so good. :( Oh, I think we're in the wrong thread. GPU's doncha know... :eek:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
by the way what do you think the new MP's will get for ppd; folding? I think it won't be so good. :( Oh, I think we're in the wrong thread. GPU's doncha know... :eek:

Not really; there are two powerful ATI-GPU in the MP-R2D2. Not sure if SW will help and how much customized those are. But it would be a beauty in the desk.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
It's what everyone should have! :p and yeah, you can use it for all kinds of things like, like you know, whatever... by the way what do you think the new MP's will get for ppd; folding? I think it won't be so good. :( Oh, I think we're in the wrong thread. GPU's doncha know... :eek:

totally fine in this thread!

yeah do let me know when you find out what a 4p rig would be good for besides folding...

it sucks almost 300 W at idle! needless to say I shut it off when it's not folding!

I'll repeat my assertion that it's best to have dedicated folding rigs whether CPU or GPU that you can stash in the (cooler) parts of your home. When I used my MPs for folding it was definitely a noise and heat issue. and trying to use the MP to do my work meant serious lag and usability issues. now my MP hums quietly beside me doing work, and the folding rigs whir away in the basement and all is good...

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Not really; there are two powerful ATI-GPU in the MP-R2D2. Not sure if SW will help and how much customized those are. But it would be a beauty in the desk.

It would look nice, I'll wait to see how they do before deciding to get one.

----------

totally fine in this thread!

yeah do let me know when you find out what a 4p rig would be good for besides folding...

it sucks almost 300 W at idle! needless to say I shut it off when it's not folding!

I'll repeat my assertion that it's best to have dedicated folding rigs whether CPU or GPU that you can stash in the (cooler) parts of your home. When I used my MPs for folding it was definitely a noise and heat issue. and trying to use the MP to do my work meant serious lag and usability issues. now my MP hums quietly beside me doing work, and the folding rigs whir away in the basement and all is good...

Hah! We are thread slackers aren't we!

Mine are in the basement too except for the MP which is in my "office".

----------

Man, do I wish houses in Japan would have a basement ... Like in good ol' Germany. They don't, instead I sleep beside my GTX 780 with 80% fan ... Part of the dedication :cool:

Woa, that that is dedication. Not sure I would be doing this if I lived in an apartment.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

yeah i don't think the new mac pros will be much better than current ones for folding. the 12-core intel will be nice, but still not good enough for bigadv units though.

yep i called it black r2d2 when i first saw it! much better than calling it a trash can

yeah but even when not folding the MP uses a lot of power and heat.

Man, do I wish houses in Japan would have a basement ... Like in good ol' Germany. They don't, instead I sleep beside my GTX 780 with 80% fan ... Part of the dedication :cool:

hey i started out in an apartment! i was folding then also (2009). of course i had faster internet then too

It would look nice, I'll wait to see how they do before deciding to get one.

yeah i agree. and i'm afraid of the price

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Not sure what happened but my points were down yesterday and today, so I rebooted everything...

The Titan SC on the 980x board doesn't seem to be getting as many points as the 4 stock speed Titans on the other board, may have to go ahead and get another Asus Z87-WS. I don't think there is enough on board power to run the Titan and 660ti very well. GPU shark indicates there are power problems anyway...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Not sure what happened but my points were down yesterday and today, so I rebooted everything...

The Titan SC on the 980x board doesn't seem to be getting as many points as the 4 stock speed Titans on the other board, may have to go ahead and get another Asus Z87-WS. I don't think there is enough on board power to run the Titan and 660ti very well. GPU shark indicates there are power problems anyway...

hope you get everything worked out. i had to restart my big rig today too, don't know what was going on with it

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
hope you get everything worked out. i had to restart my big rig today too, don't know what was going on with it

good to see it back up! it really shows up on our team stats!

as an aside, my nVidia card has been pulling down a string of Core 15 WUs, and this drops the ppd from 60-65 K to 18 K so I'm shutting it down for a bit.

clearly the assignment servers know what other cards I have and are still assigning Core 17 WUs to the AMD cards.

which is good, since while Core 15 on an nVidia card is bad, it's terrible on the AMD cards...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

as an aside, my nVidia card has been pulling down a string of Core 15 WUs, and this drops the ppd from 60-65 K to 18 K so I'm shutting it down for a bit.

clearly the assignment servers know what other cards I have and are still assigning Core 17 WUs to the AMD cards.

which is good, since while Core 15 on an nVidia card is bad, it's terrible on the AMD cards...

thanks. i hope it stays up!

yeah i can't blame you there.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

I hope it's not gremlins, new mobo on the way... :D

----------

Hm, I wonder if I got some of those core 15's, things are looking much better for the moment.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
I hope it's not gremlins, new mobo on the way... :D

----------

Hm, I wonder if I got some of those core 15's, things are looking much better for the moment.

that'd be 2 bigadv rigs then!

after leaving the 660ti off for the night I fired it up in the morning and it has crunched a couple of 8900 WUs since, so perhaps the Core15 thing was just an anomaly... hope we're done with them.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I'm really getting interested in 2p Xeon system. With the new IB E5v2. The PPD/watt ratio looks awesome good. A bit steep initial investment but could save energy and heat afterwards. Still looking around ... But my heart says: get one ...

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
I'm really getting interested in 2p Xeon system. With the new IB E5v2. The PPD/watt ratio looks awesome good. A bit steep initial investment but could save energy and heat afterwards. Still looking around ... But my heart says: get one ...

yeah, the IBs seem to be the way to go for bigadv, if you can get past the cost of admission. save lots on power later. Intel processors have always been really, really steep though.

I'm completely tapped out for now, so no more toys for me :)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I rebuild my Ubuntu folding rig and installed the latest NV driver 331; not a good idea.
While ok for 780 it slow down my 660TI (double TPF). Not good. Once the current WU is done I end to downgrade back to 319.x :mad:

Update: downgrade to 319.x; the 660TI is back to old power and the 780 remain strong

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I rebuild my Ubuntu folding rig and installed the latest NV driver 331; not a good idea.
While ok for 780 it slow down my 660TI (double TPF). Not good. Once the current WU is done I end to downgrade back to 319.x :mad:

Update: downgrade to 319.x; the 660TI is back to old power and the 780 remain strong

well at least you got it going again

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
new drivers? who needs 'em?
Me, because every 36 hours latest I have to reboot or get a deep frozen system. So happen last Friday. I still could login via VPN but reboot failed. Great. Lost half day with a lazy system.
So I had big hope in nv 331 but learned my lessen: listen to the elderly in [H]
Anyway: back in business, still the ramdisk to be done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.