Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
so i shut down one of my systems to check on something inside the case, and then put everything back together and boot up. everything running smooth and i start to do something else. next thing i know it's rebooting. and then i can't get it to boot without crashing. i take all the gpus out, and the 465 it burning hot (like i burned my hand).

could this mean i need to replace it with a 780?

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
yeah you know i want another 780, but i think i'm gonna wait awhile. i got the 465 up and running again, i just took out a 260 to give it more space. these 260s aren't worth many points anyways

You mean I should get my 4 or 5 260-275 and 1 480 up and running! It's been a couple of years since I ran them. They are a little dusty, but ya know, points!

And why bother with a 780 drop for the Titan you know you want one! :D

I found out about about 9 pm that everything was down. :( must have been a power outage sometime today. I should be more diligent in checking when I get home! :p So I decided to go for it and loaded up Titan1 with ALL 4 Titans! Pics should be below. And of course nothing worked right, couldn't get the console to connect to the client, couldn't get all 4 cards running... Long story short had to remove and reinstall the client which means I'm starting with 15's instead of 17's so it might be a day or so to get back up to 600k ppd. But it is up and running! :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 145

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto

I found out about about 9 pm that everything was down. :( must have been a power outage sometime today. I should be more diligent in checking when I get home! :p So I decided to go for it and loaded up Titan1 with ALL 4 Titans! Pics should be below. And of course nothing worked right, couldn't get the console to connect to the client, couldn't get all 4 cards running... Long story short had to remove and reinstall the client which means I'm starting with 15's instead of 17's so it might be a day or so to get back up to 600k ppd. But it is up and running! :cool:

Yeah, I know. we all want one. I look at the Titans every day. then I look at my bank account. oh well.

great to hear that you've got going now! I always have a cheat sheet checklist of things when I re-install the system or client because there's quite a few things to remember to do to get it folding properly now!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
lordonuthin, you might should consider to change the orientation of the board or the huge fan behind. If that one run it blow the hot air back into the Titan ... Might be counter productive.

Else: hell, do I like this setup. Open air motherboard with a bunch of cute graphic cards.

Last edited:

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
lordonuthin, you might should consider to change the orientation of the board or the huge fan behind. If that one run it blow the hot air back into the Titan ... Might be counter productive.

Else: hell, do I like this setup. Open air motherboard with a bunch of cute graphic cards.

It is blowing into the front of the cards, the hot air comes out the other end. [edit] Oh I see what you mean the fan in the back is pulling air AWAY not blowing air AT the cards.

So far so good but it will take a few days to see if it works out ok.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Yeah, I know. we all want one. I look at the Titans every day. then I look at my bank account. oh well.

great to hear that you've got going now! I always have a cheat sheet checklist of things when I re-install the system or client because there's quite a few things to remember to do to get it folding properly now!

I know what you mean, there were many years when I could never have imagined spending 1k on something like that let alone 4k.

At least now I just have one client to deal with, for now anyway if all goes well. it seems like whenever you make a change there is some problem to deal with. It was a straight forward issue and not a deal-breaker.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
You mean I should get my 4 or 5 260-275 and 1 480 up and running! It's been a couple of years since I ran them. They are a little dusty, but ya know, points!

do what you gotta do. i'm still running a 260 and 465. i've got like 5 other 260s just laying around collecting dust. drives me nuts to see them like this.

not that i see some 780s for around $650, the price is enticing. i'll leave the titans to you for now ;)

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
do what you gotta do. i'm still running a 260 and 465. i've got like 5 other 260s just laying around collecting dust. drives me nuts to see them like this.

not that i see some 780s for around $650, the price is enticing. i'll leave the titans to you for now ;)

Lol, ok I might play around with the other cards and I did get the 480 going on the 980x just to see what it would do.

The titans are finally getting up to where they should be, we should start seeing 600k from them if all goes well.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Lol, ok I might play around with the other cards and I did get the 480 going on the 980x just to see what it would do.

The titans are finally getting up to where they should be, we should start seeing 600k from them if all goes well.

sweet. i'm actually rearranging all my cards to see what i can squeeze out. just got 3 x 260s folding. now gonna see if i can get this 465 going with the 780.

who knows, i may even get a couple in this old mac pro folding in windows. bringing out all the stops lol :cool:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
sweet. i'm actually rearranging all my cards to see what i can squeeze out. just got 3 x 260s folding. now gonna see if i can get this 465 going with the 780.

who knows, i may even get a couple in this old mac pro folding in windows. bringing out all the stops lol :cool:

well i put the 465 in the same rig as the 780. the 465 isn't even recognized by windows. i took both cards out, put them both back in, and nothing.

i'm beginning to think the second pci-express slot doesn't work on this mobo. i guess i could switch the cards and see. not looking good though

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

uh oh! I may have to break out another old mobo and some 275's! Dang, that would mean playing with Ubuntu again or getting another win key... hmm, I'll do some more reading on Ubuntu+GPU's.

I think I have decided to go with more Titans, or their next iteration, down the road instead of a 4p. I'm getting over 600k ppd on the 4 I have now and I don't know what I would get from a 4p; of course that would depend on how much I was willing to spend. For $4000 I know I can get 600k ppd, I might spend more on a 4p and not get as many ppd. The electric bill might be against me though; a 4p would not draw as much juice as 4 Titans for sure. Well shoot, now I'm not so sure, hmm, have to think about it some more. :D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
uh oh! I may have to break out another old mobo and some 275's! Dang, that would mean playing with Ubuntu again or getting another win key... hmm, I'll do some more reading on Ubuntu+GPU's.

I think I have decided to go with more Titans, or their next iteration, down the road instead of a 4p. I'm getting over 600k ppd on the 4 I have now and I don't know what I would get from a 4p; of course that would depend on how much I was willing to spend. For $4000 I know I can get 600k ppd, I might spend more on a 4p and not get as many ppd. The electric bill might be against me though; a 4p would not draw as much juice as 4 Titans for sure. Well shoot, now I'm not so sure, hmm, have to think about it some more. :D

haha, it's kinda fun bringing back the old hardware (except the points aren't that good.

yeah it's a tough decision. but i know you can go the 4p route for cheaper than the titans, you just gotta be willing to play with it to get it going.

i picked up an HD 7850 to see what it can do for $180

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well the 7850 is only good for about 22k ppd, so i might be taking this back. the question is, what's the best for the money? a 7970? a 660 ti or 760? i'm not trying to spend that much this time around.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
As per my personal preference I would stay with NV ... fits also better in my Linux Folding World. From what I read the 760 is a bit more power hungry compared to 660 Ti; but both deliver a good PPD/wattage ratio. Over in the other forum there are comparisons on those KPIs.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
well the 7850 is only good for about 22k ppd, so i might be taking this back. the question is, what's the best for the money? a 7970? a 660 ti or 760? i'm not trying to spend that much this time around.

If you can return the 7850 maybe try out the 760? I haven't seen any hard numbers on it but the purchase price sounds enticing. really though people are saying that power wise you'd make it back with a titan over a 7970 within a year... (and I think they're assuming you can get a 7970 for about $330)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1776564

my 660ti makes about 65 K pod. on Core17.

I stopped running my 560 ti cards because they were only getting about 22 K ppd, like your 7850... really not worth the power.

my 7970 makes about 90 K ppd when clocked to 1075.

----------

haha, it's kinda fun bringing back the old hardware (except the points aren't that good.

yeah it's a tough decision. but i know you can go the 4p route for cheaper than the titans, you just gotta be willing to play with it to get it going.

i picked up an HD 7850 to see what it can do for $180

if you can get a used unit like you did with high end chips -- definitely the way to go for PPD if you weren't planning on gaming as well...

just got my power bill -- yowza! the big rig is pulling more than 500 W and is not worth it if it's running 8101s. the rig with 2 7970s is pulling 330 W and makes more points than the big rig :(

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
How much is one kWh for you guys ?

I pay around 30 Yen for one kWh (around 0.28 US$); right now a bunch of Yen goes because of a/c whole day and night; mainly to keep humidity out.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
If you can return the 7850 maybe try out the 760? I haven't seen any hard numbers on it but the purchase price sounds enticing. really though people are saying that power wise you'd make it back with a titan over a 7970 within a year... (and I think they're assuming you can get a 7970 for about $330)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1776564

my 660ti makes about 65 K pod. on Core17.

I stopped running my 560 ti cards because they were only getting about 22 K ppd, like your 7850... really not worth the power.

my 7970 makes about 90 K ppd when clocked to 1075.

----------

if you can get a used unit like you did with high end chips -- definitely the way to go for PPD if you weren't planning on gaming as well...

just got my power bill -- yowza! the big rig is pulling more than 500 W and is not worth it if it's running 8101s. the rig with 2 7970s is pulling 330 W and makes more points than the big rig :(

yeah i'm gonna return the 7850 and try the 760. it's basically a 660 ti.

i also just picked up a 7970. decided to to go with it. this is all i'm gonna get for awhile though. we'll see how it goes.

yeah my power bill was high last month, and this month will be just as high if not higher. and i just got back to back 8101s. :mad:

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
yeah i'm gonna return the 7850 and try the 760. it's basically a 660 ti.

i also just picked up a 7970. decided to to go with it. this is all i'm gonna get for awhile though. we'll see how it goes.

yeah my power bill was high last month, and this month will be just as high if not higher. and i just got back to back 8101s. :mad:

oh good -- let us know how the 760 does since it is cheaper than the 660ti cards...

and also tell us about the 7970 when it's running!

congrats on both new cards!

that power bill is a killer :eek:

I'll one-up you on the tale of woe with the 8101s -- I also got 2 back to back and because of a power outage during the night I only got the base points (22 K) for one of them :mad:

----------

How much is one kWh for you guys ?

I pay around 30 Yen for one kWh (around 0.28 US$); right now a bunch of Yen goes because of a/c whole day and night; mainly to keep humidity out.

OK you got me beat on that; with averaged Time-of-Use and delivery charges and account charge and all that extraneous crap it's about 14.5¢ per kWh.

and about 1600 kWh per month :eek:

so yeah, it still hurts!!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
oh good -- let us know how the 760 does since it is cheaper than the 660ti cards...

and also tell us about the 7970 when it's running!

congrats on both new cards!

that power bill is a killer :eek:

I'll one-up you on the tale of woe with the 8101s -- I also got 2 back to back and because of a power outage during the night I only got the base points (22 K) for one of them :mad:

----------

OK you got me beat on that; with averaged Time-of-Use and delivery charges and account charge and all that extraneous crap it's about 14.5¢ per kWh.

and about 1600 kWh per month :eek:

so yeah, it still hurts!!

thanks. well i got the 7970 running with 2 old 260s, and it's not good. only 40k ppd with 8900. i'm thinking about just stopping the 260s and see if that helps. maybe even removing them to give more air and space.

i'll get the 760 later tonight and will report how it does once i have it going.

are there any decent cards that don't require a power connector?

oh and on the power bill, even though i only pay about 9.8 cents per kwh, i went through 3166 kwh last month ! :eek:

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
thanks. well i got the 7970 running with 2 old 260s, and it's not good. only 40k ppd with 8900. i'm thinking about just stopping the 260s and see if that helps. maybe even removing them to give more air and space.

i'll get the 760 later tonight and will report how it does once i have it going.

are there any decent cards that don't require a power connector?

oh and on the power bill, even though i only pay about 9.8 cents per kwh, i went through 3166 kwh last month ! :eek:

what's the avg TPF on 8900 with the 7970? I was getting 4 min 13 sec per frame when I was getting 90 K ppd per 7970.

I'd say remove the 260s -- they might be interfering with the 7970. (I had problems with nVidia and AMD on the same mono near the end, before I gave up on that.)

fastest nVidia that doesn't need a power connector is the GT 640 -- have one in my Mac Pro where it works great; haven't tried folding with it but I strongly suspect that it is not worth it.

I'm glad I don't have Christian's power rates but I wish I had yours :)

PS low points for me today; took everything except the bigadv rig offline to swap stuff around. Put the 7970s into a HAF XB lanbox and.... temps were no better. sheesh. while I was swapping cards I notice that one of my 7970s had an 8 pin and a 6 pin connector and the other one had two 8 pin connectors. wtf? I'll have to look into this a bit. same part numbers (but they were both open box units)

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Funny, me too had today a hardware shuffle day. I removed the Supermicro board with the i7 and put an old Asus with an Core2 Quad Q9550 in; the CPU runs also 2.8GHz with four cores. Why do I do such stupid swap ? Because this "old" board provide me three x16 slots so I can put both 780 and 660Ti into one rig and reduce the power consumption for one mother board, fan, disks etc. That means not much CPU folding anymore; only my virtual machine still fold CPU. Was fun again to screw with the hardware.

Just fired up and reconfigured two GPU slots; and paused the CPU slot.
Let's see what the new couple brings ...

image.jpg

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
what's the avg TPF on 8900 with the 7970? I was getting 4 min 13 sec per frame when I was getting 90 K ppd per 7970.

I'd say remove the 260s -- they might be interfering with the 7970. (I had problems with nVidia and AMD on the same mono near the end, before I gave up on that.)

fastest nVidia that doesn't need a power connector is the GT 640 -- have one in my Mac Pro where it works great; haven't tried folding with it but I strongly suspect that it is not worth it.

I'm glad I don't have Christian's power rates but I wish I had yours :)

PS low points for me today; took everything except the bigadv rig offline to swap stuff around. Put the 7970s into a HAF XB lanbox and.... temps were no better. sheesh. while I was swapping cards I notice that one of my 7970s had an 8 pin and a 6 pin connector and the other one had two 8 pin connectors. wtf? I'll have to look into this a bit. same part numbers (but they were both open box units)

well i had to do some moving around also. so now i have the 780 and 760 in the same rig - they are doing about 115k and 61k. then i put the 7970 in the other rig by itself - getting around 80k now. so it seems like i'm finally on track. now if i can just get rid of this 8101 i should be set.

also, my 7970 has one 8-pin and one 6-pin.

so the 640 is best card with no power connector. what about the best card with 2 x 6-pin? the 760 i have is 8-pin and 6-pin, i was hoping only 2 x 6-pin

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
what about the best card with 2 x 6-pin? the 760 i have is 8-pin and 6-pin, i was hoping only 2 x 6-pin

660 Ti; but what makes the difference between 6 and 8 pins ? they are mainly ground lines delivering a bit better energy transmission ...my Seasonic PSU has only "flexible" 8 pin cables where the two leftover pins hanging in the air when connected to 6 Pin. But yeah, other PSUs have dedicated 6 pins. So: 660 Ti it is ( for me) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.