Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
You can: change slot config for the GPUs and add
Code:
client-type=advanced

Will get you the WU for the new Core 17. That one gets the most out of your GPUs.

I just realized that I had to SET something to get all of those points... it took me a bit of reading, oh well, I have advanced client type set now, will see what that does. :p

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
For those with GTX 7xx or Titan: do you also experience every 1.5 day a system freeze ? :(
For me running under Ubuntu it goes so far that I have to press reset as the keyboard and mouse get disabled. When I'm lucky I can remote-SSH and reboot. :mad:

Seems issue with NV driver under Linux and Windows ...
How is your experience ? Right now I proactively reboot every 24 hours. :eek:

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
For those with GTX 7xx or Titan: do you also experience every 1.5 day a system freeze ? :(
For me running under Ubuntu it goes so far that I have to press reset as the keyboard and mouse get disabled. When I'm lucky I can remote-SSH and reboot. :mad:

I'm running 6xx aand AMD 7xxx under Win7 and seems fine system-wise; what I have noticed is sometimes F@H can't connect to a server to upload the results after a WU has finished. Then I have to reboot.

----------

Looks like you found the hand brake. I kept the fourth place in daily production warm for you. Looking forward to my downgrade ... ;-)

I think there'll be lots of back-and-forth in the top 10 for the next while -- all good!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

yes i've been having a similar problem. i stopped overclocking due to this. it's been running for over 24 hours now, and seems to be ok. we'll see

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
yes i've been having a similar problem. i stopped overclocking due to this. it's been running for over 24 hours now, and seems to be ok. we'll see

I'm getting a lot of the "unable to contact server" or something like that... cost most of the day on one rig... but maybe you are on to something and I'm getting too greedy with the overclocking... will try reducing to see if that helps...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'm getting a lot of the "unable to contact server" or something like that... cost most of the day on one rig... but maybe you are on to something and I'm getting too greedy with the overclocking... will try reducing to see if that helps...

well i'm over 48 hours and still running strong. but only about 115k ppd instead of 160k i was getting. but i get 0 ppd when it crashes

That one https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1616400/

Could be interesting for getting higher GPU power into Mac-Folding. Too bad I don't have any TB and not sure if driver would support that.

Titan on a MacMini ... Sweet ... :cool:

cool

yeah, that's really the only thing holding a mini back from real performance...

looks about as tidy as one of my PC builds, unfortunately...

yeah this would be fun on my mini. but the video card is bigger than a mini lol

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
well i'm over 48 hours and still running strong. but only about 115k ppd instead of 160k i was getting. but i get 0 ppd when it crashes

cool

yeah this would be fun on my mini. but the video card is bigger than a mini lol

I'm going to run 24 hours at factory over clock then start increasing it by 25 Mhz steps and try each step for 24 hrs and see when the instability occurs again...

I love the small packaging of the mini so I hear you. And at a certain point it's cheaper just to buy the Pro... (after all there are lots of people selling used mac pros for a good price now and you can toss in any recent (check first!) PC video card and it'll work... that's what I do! it's a cheap, effective way to run extra monitors...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'm going to run 24 hours at factory over clock then start increasing it by 25 Mhz steps and try each step for 24 hrs and see when the instability occurs again...

I love the small packaging of the mini so I hear you. And at a certain point it's cheaper just to buy the Pro... (after all there are lots of people selling used mac pros for a good price now and you can toss in any recent (check first!) PC video card and it'll work... that's what I do! it's a cheap, effective way to run extra monitors...

let us know how the OC works for you. i think i'm going to stay at stock if it will stay stable. especially for times like this weekend when i'll be out of town for a few days

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Seems 36 hours is kind of safe time; after that it get bumpy. Can you auto-reboot ?

i guess i could have it auto-login. but i think it freezes up and doesn't actually shut down, so i wouldn't auto-reboot. it would just be in limbo

Well, you didn't really want to go anywhere now did you? New excuse: "but I can't go, I have folding to do! :D

lol, i would if i could. but i gotta go to a buddy's wedding. he went to mine, so i gotta return the favor. of course i live in another state now though :rolleyes:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
i guess i could have it auto-login. but i think it freezes up and doesn't actually shut down, so i wouldn't auto-reboot. it would just be in limbo
I mean more in the way of a periodic and forced reboot; let say every 24h pause the FAH slots and reboot; once restart the slots get active again. As proactive measure.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
yeah i could do that, but only when i'm here. i'll be out of town for over 48 hours though

I wouldn't worry about it... (folding that is; I'd just shut it down for the weekend... all of it!)

go have a good time at your buddy's wedding :)

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I wouldn't worry about it... (folding that is; I'd just shut it down for the weekend... all of it!)

go have a good time at your buddy's wedding :)

Hey have a good time at the wedding!

And next week I will set up my new rig, a four slot board to hold my FOUR Titans.

Then I will start thinking about a 2P/4P system. Geez I didn't realize what other people have running! Some guys are making 4-6 million PPD!!!! on piles of 4P systems. Doubt I will ever be able to afford that or the power bill! :eek:

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Hey have a good time at the wedding!

And next week I will set up my new rig, a four slot board to hold my FOUR Titans.

Then I will start thinking about a 2P/4P system. Geez I didn't realize what other people have running! Some guys are making 4-6 million PPD!!!! on piles of 4P systems. Doubt I will ever be able to afford that or the power bill! :eek:

Congrats on your Four Titan board!

Crazy! I was drooling over ONE but have blown the budget several times over already!

Let us know how it runs... (Andy E over on [H] did say that 2 low-power 2 GPU boards worked better for his 4 Titans; can't find the link though)

well I had fun at the number 2 slot for a bit! The 2p/4p thing is fun (and stable for me right now) -- it'll be great to see our team pile on towards a billion points!

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Congrats on your Four Titan board!

Crazy! I was drooling over ONE but have blown the budget several times over already!

Let us know how it runs... (Andy E over on [H] did say that 2 low-power 2 GPU boards worked better for his 4 Titans; can't find the link though)

well I had fun at the number 2 slot for a bit! The 2p/4p thing is fun (and stable for me right now) -- it'll be great to see our team pile on towards a billion points!

I think I saw that but I wanted to try a single board with all 4 of them just to see, the power bill would be less than with 2 boards running the 4 Titans. I will still have 2 old boards that I can use if needed, and if I decided I could afford some more Titans I can still use the old boards. I have 3 extra psu's, ram, and lots of drives to use but nothing high end except the soon to be 4 Titans. I'm hoping that will give me about 600k ppd, we will see what happens.

In my younger days I could never have spent money like this but I figure I don't spend much on anything else so why not. Plus: no wife, no dog, no kids=it's mine to do with as I wish! :D It's for a good cause too!

I was #1 on the team for a while but I got busy with other things and let it go. I have kept the Mac Pro going all this time for a few points but wanted to take the ppd up to try to match twoodcc and maybe even catch up to him! ;)

Back in the day our team only got 2 to 6 million Points per week, I think, we are doing much better now with your help and others. It's more interesting with competition. It would be nice to get some more interest in the team, and I know it's a Mac website but it's hard to get points with Mac hardware. At least Linux is more useful now, I hate using windows! :eek:

I never imagined we would get to a billion points, wow! :p but we are almost... There... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.