Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
i recently started folding (yeah, i know, a bit late i guess) on my AMD Athlon XP. My cpu temp went up by an average of 17 degrees C on idle!! I'm trying to get my pc silent and my next investment is a silent cpu fan; by doing this my CPU temp is going to increase anyway since it's got a beast of a fan on it at the moment. By beast i mean that it cools it well but it sounds like a bumble bee on speed. I'm gonna be pushing the AMD temp limit if i'm not careful seeing as it's running about about 65-70 at the moment. If its all the same to you, i think i'll stop. I'm a student - if my CPU goes i cant afford to replace it, it also means i cant earn any money to fund being a student OR do any work. Sorry guys and farewell to team 3446.

Quite why i needed to post this on here i don't know.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Re: folding is gonna kill my CPU

Originally posted by mrjamin
i recently started folding (yeah, i know, a bit late i guess) on my AMD Athlon XP. My cpu temp went up by an average of 17 degrees C on idle!! I'm trying to get my pc silent and my next investment is a silent cpu fan; by doing this my CPU temp is going to increase anyway since it's got a beast of a fan on it at the moment. By beast i mean that it cools it well but it sounds like a bumble bee on speed. I'm gonna be pushing the AMD temp limit if i'm not careful seeing as it's running about about 65-70 at the moment. If its all the same to you, i think i'll stop. I'm a student - if my CPU goes i cant afford to replace it, it also means i cant earn any money to fund being a student OR do any work. Sorry guys and farewell to team 3446.

Quite why i needed to post this on here i don't know.

Wow, I wonder if my pc is hurting. I haven't even checked to see if my temp has gone up.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
if folding is over heating your cpu, i hate to see what gaming would do. You might want to get a new heatsink as quick as possible. Like 20 bucks shipped gets a great one. I'd say something is wrong with your cooling, folding shouldnt do that.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Originally posted by hugemullens
if folding is over heating your cpu, i hate to see what gaming would do. You might want to get a new heatsink as quick as possible. Like 20 bucks shipped gets a great one. I'd say something is wrong with your cooling, folding shouldnt do that.
i run UT2k3 at 40fps - temp has never risen above 60. folding@home says its optimised for intel - could that be why? I've never seen my CPU temp rise that high, its normally down in the mid-40's, then up to mid-high 50's whilst gaming! i already have a kickass heatsink/fan - my CPU is overclocked too!!

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
besides that this should have been in the DC forum, you can turn down the amount of CPU folding uses...

There a are a couple programs out there that do this.

BTW, so far there have been 0, zero burnouts of CPUs that are running folding, heat is once thing, but saying that it is gonna fry is incorrect.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I have been folding for the last few months with no ill effect on any of my computers. I used to run SETI for years with no ill effects. I woudln't worry about it damaging your equipment unless your equipment already doesn't have proper cooling....

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by MrMacman
besides that this should have been in the DC forum, you can turn down the amount of CPU folding uses...

Actually it is in advanced settings when you setup the console version. I am not sure about the graphic version...

Oh, yeah I was supposed to get you that installer last weekend... Oops, I will work on it this weekend.... If I get time.... :D

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Stelliform
Actually it is in advanced settings when you setup the console version. I am not sure about the graphic version...

Oh, yeah I was supposed to get you that installer last weekend... Oops, I will work on it this weekend.... If I get time.... :D

yeah, I was filtering through my AOL spam, I just didn't want to bug you.

Yeah, there are no 'ill' effects, does my computer run hotter, yeah probably, will it shorten the lifespan by anything measurable?
no.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by applemacdude
hmmm....not doing anything

how much time does it take?
depending on the protein size, computer speed, percent use of computer, all different factors.

You said you just signed up so don't be worried it takes time.

you have a mid-sized unit, BTW having the graphics ON slows folding by a small percent.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by mrjamin
i run UT2k3 at 40fps - temp has never risen above 60. folding@home says its optimised for intel - could that be why? I've never seen my CPU temp rise that high, its normally down in the mid-40's, then up to mid-high 50's whilst gaming! i already have a kickass heatsink/fan - my CPU is overclocked too!!
id believe it, my intel folded twice as fast as much dual 1.25. i dont know how it compares to a amd machine though, most stuff these days are being optimized for intel over amd, dont know what the affect is. i dont think folding will burn your cpu, but does make it get hot. this is the only reason i stopped folding, my room got to hot, didnt see worth it.

iJon

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by iJon
id believe it, my intel folded twice as fast as much dual 1.25. i dont know how it compares to a amd machine though, most stuff these days are being optimized for intel over amd, dont know what the affect is. i dont think folding will burn your cpu, but does make it get hot. this is the only reason i stopped folding, my room got to hot, didnt see worth it.

iJon

My AMD 1800 does a Work unit every 19 hours.... I don't know how that compares to intel though...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Stelliform
My AMD 1800 does a Work unit every 19 hours.... I don't know how that compares to intel though...
i cant remember, i just know it was way faster than my powermac.

iJon

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by mc68k
already been done. it's in beta right now, but i've made some scripts to automate the setup.

http://homepage.mac.com/mc68k

To use Alitvec do you just use 3.25 straight, or with the -advmethods switch?

Edit:::
Found it on my own...

1) The core and the client are separate pieces of software. The client contacts the Mother Ship, and is assigned to an assignment server. If you have the 3.25 CLI and have set the -advmethods flag (-forceasm and -verbosity 9 flags also recommended), Guha has said that there is a chance at getting Gromacs work assignments now. They will soon make them more available to all who have set the methods flag early in the week, he said-- assuming no problems are found. If you want to help more than that, join the beta team--but be advised that while things may seem pretty solid, it is betaware and if crashes occur and such you might lose work units, etc. If you want a rock solid system and don't want to take a chance, stay with Tinker for a few days/weeks.

woodsey

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2001
How do i check my CPU Temp?

I have a pm g4 733 quicksilver.

I tried aquamon and thermolindock.

aquamon did not display my cpu temp, and themolindock said my cpu temp was -1°

Is there something wrong with my computer, or is there another program which i can use?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: How do i check my CPU Temp?

Originally posted by woodsey
I have a pm g4 733 quicksilver.

I tried aquamon and thermolindock.

aquamon did not display my cpu temp, and themolindock said my cpu temp was -1°

Is there something wrong with my computer, or is there another program which i can use?
not sure about aquamon, but thermoindock was stopped about a year ago i think, it donly supports a limited amount of macs, new powermacs were never supported, i think the pismo was the last laptop supported too.

iJon

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Re: Re: How do i check my CPU Temp?

not sure about aquamon, but thermoindock was stopped about a year ago i think, it donly supports a limited amount of macs, new powermacs were never supported, i think the pismo was the last laptop supported too.

iJon

Mostly accurate, but Thermoindock supports all the iBooks (not sure about 900MHz, but probably) as well.

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
. i dont think folding will burn your cpu, but does make it get hot. this is the only reason i stopped folding, my room got to hot, didnt see worth it.

iJon

Yeah, it is also going to add a non-trivial amount to your power bill if you are running on an P4 or highly clocked Athlon. Those things are power sucking monsters...if you're running it with one of them then you are literally paying about $100/year extra to do this! Of course, dual 970s will consume about as much power as a single P4 or Athlon, albeit at least you will be getting much more work done with the two 970s (assuming the PPC version of the client isn't horribly coded at that point). In some sense, this program is best run on laptops, which get much more work done per watt than a desktop CPU. It would be nice if you could, for example, lower the voltage on a PowerMac's processor(s) (like you can lower the clock speed on an iBook or Powerbook when running on battery), so that you can run the client all day without having it add too much to your electricity bill....

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: Re: How do i check my CPU Temp?

Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Mostly accurate, but Thermoindock supports all the iBooks (not sure about 900MHz, but probably) as well.
thats cool, didnt know that. i just remember putting it on my pismo, but then my powermac didnt work with it. then i read the page and talked about stopping it. i wish someone could pick it up, i would love you see how hot this beast gets.

iJon

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by macrumors12345
Yeah, it is also going to add a non-trivial amount to your power bill if you are running on an P4 or highly clocked Athlon. Those things are power sucking monsters...if you're running it with one of them then you are literally paying about $100/year extra to do this! Of course, dual 970s will consume about as much power as a single P4 or Athlon, albeit at least you will be getting much more work done with the two 970s (assuming the PPC version of the client isn't horribly coded at that point). In some sense, this program is best run on laptops, which get much more work done per watt than a desktop CPU. It would be nice if you could, for example, lower the voltage on a PowerMac's processor(s) (like you can lower the clock speed on an iBook or Powerbook when running on battery), so that you can run the client all day without having it add too much to your electricity bill....
wow, that even tops my reason of my room getting hot for stopping. now its taking away my money, not im glad i stopped. it was fun while it lasted.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.