Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
it's not thermoindock's fault, it's motorola's. they stopped putting thermometers in the CPU junctions after the 7410 series if i remember correctly. the -1 just means it's not supported.

as for g3s, i believe they're still fully supported, hence the non-nonsense reading.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by macrumors12345
Yeah, it is also going to add a non-trivial amount to your power bill if you are running on an P4 or highly clocked Athlon. Those things are power sucking monsters...if you're running it with one of them then you are literally paying about $100/year extra to do this! Of course, dual 970s will consume about as much power as a single P4 or Athlon, albeit at least you will be getting much more work done with the two 970s (assuming the PPC version of the client isn't horribly coded at that point). In some sense, this program is best run on laptops, which get much more work done per watt than a desktop CPU. It would be nice if you could, for example, lower the voltage on a PowerMac's processor(s) (like you can lower the clock speed on an iBook or Powerbook when running on battery), so that you can run the client all day without having it add too much to your electricity bill....

Lets put this into perspective, that is 28cents on average, a day.

I don't think that is too much to ask, anyway your generalizing way way too much.
Voltage is key, not always is speed the first factor.

edit: I think my dad said the power bill raised 11 cents a day because of me. oh no!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by MrMacman
I know how to do math, yeah it adds up, but ask yourself, is 11-28¢ a day bad?
depends how a much a dollar is worth to you.

iJon

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by iJon
depends how a much a dollar is worth to you.

iJon

Its worth one iTunes Song Download. :D ;)

no really it is worth something, but you can't get anything for 11 cents, your lucky if a pack of gum you can get for 25 cents so... its worth it, atleast for me.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Its worth one iTunes Song Download. :D ;)

no really it is worth something, but you can't get anything for 11 cents, your lucky if a pack of gum you can get for 25 cents so... its worth it, atleast for me.
but 40 dollars a month is worth alot.

iJon

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
It seems my calculator was wrong...
.11 * 31 days = $3.41
.28 * 31 = $8.68

Um...?
Numbers?
I checked...
uh...
well thats a lot less now, but still money is money, take it any way you can get it.

iJon

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
I fold at work :) only one comp at home is folding now...not much added bill for me.

addressing the topic of the thread...

I just upgraded my system pretty heavily and one of the things I got was a new CPU fan for my AMD Barton 2500+. Check out Vantec's new Aeroflow's, they are super engineered to keep the CPU as cool as possible. I do some work with thermodynamics and fins on heat sinks and this thing is a great piece of work. I run my system overclocked to a 2800+ with over clocked FSB to 430 Mhz, run CAD and folding all day and it never runs above 40C.

- bert

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.