Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Finished. So good.
BCF8877B-5131-4992-A3B7-494CAB40A7E0.jpeg
D490D506-CD36-4BCC-B077-6004A4CE4146.jpeg

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Grilled some veggies, tomatoes and zucs are from the garden and the cauliflower is from a local farmer. We had a nice onion herb dip to drag everything through. If you have not tried the Mission brand Street taco flour tortilla, they are pretty amazing.

IMG_20200731_175741224 (2).jpg

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I’ve recently been cooking bacon for breakfast, then cooking eggs in the remaining bacon grease. It makes the eggs taste so good and flavorful. Top the eggs with some cheese and the cooked bacon, and put it on a couple slices of toast with hot sauce. Best breakfast sandwich ever.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I’ve recently been cooking bacon for breakfast, then cooking eggs in the remaining bacon grease. It makes the eggs taste so good and flavorful. Top the eggs with some cheese and the cooked bacon, and put it on a couple slices of toast with hot sauce. Best breakfast sandwich ever.
Mmmm that reminds me of a breakfast sandwich I made a while back with similar method to what you describe.

Nothing beats eggs fried in bacon grease. Mmmmmmmm so good!

24344CEE-1852-4E3C-98EB-89A1AACDA771.jpeg

Bacon Fried Organic eggs yolk broken over hard with warmed Local Talus Wind heritage hog breed Salazar smoked ham, Tucumcari mountain sharp local cheddar, local Jewish bakery Toasted NY style Seco Hatch green chile bagel, sprinkle of my personal chef salt blend and off to the races we went.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

For breakfast, I'd recommend grilled or sautéed tomatoes, rather than cheese (and I write as someone almost notorious for my undisguised, passionate and greedy love of cheese) with both bacon & eggs.

But, sautéed, or grilled, tomatoes go very well with either/or or both bacon and eggs.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Mmm grilled tomato slices are fantastic - such a perfect balance between the caramelized sugars of the tomato and their inherent acidity. Smoking hot grill grates do such fabulous things.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Mmm grilled tomato slices are fantastic - such a perfect balance between the caramelized sugars of the tomato and their inherent acidity. Smoking hot grill grates do such fabulous things.

Roasted tomatoes are brilliant, too - the heat caramelises their sugars, balancing their acidity; I often roast tomatoes as a first step when I am preparing a tomato based pasta sauce.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Roasted tomatoes are brilliant, too - the heat caramelises their sugars, balancing their acidity; I often roast tomatoes as a first step when I am preparing a tomato based pasta sauce.

Yes a must in chilly winter months unless you’re lucky enough to own an indoor grill. I do the same when making roasted salsitas - everything goes into the oven actually before it’s whirled up in a blender and onto whatever it is I’m saucing with it.

Truth be told, I’m more a fan of cooked tomatoes than raw anyhow.

Reactions: kazmac

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
5lbs of lemons (Juiced=2 cups of lemon juice and pulp), approx 8 cups of water, and 1.5 cups of artificial sweetener, makes some yummy lemon aid, better than what is at the store, even if it costs twice as much. :)

Why not use honey or brown sugar to sweetest?

Sounds delicious - I adore recipes with lemons, and love lemon juice or flavours.

Reactions: Huntn and kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Finally tried one of those lab engineered ”fake” proteins, JUST ‘eggs’ folded plant eggs.

These were very good. We’re trying to cut back on animal protein slowly and these cook quickly.

I served them with broccoli. I like that there aren’t a ton of what the heck is that? in the ingredient list (and unlike their liquid egg replacement), there’s no soy.

17CA3AF7-62ED-47A5-A691-F989631E5B0B.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 1042686

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Why not use honey or brown sugar to sweetest?

Sounds delicious - I adore recipes with lemons, and love lemon juice or flavours.
I’m reducing calories. Besides that I’m afraid honey or brown sugar might give it different flavor than plain sweet, although I like both of those for different applications. Love brown sugar on pancakes , and honey on oatmeal. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I’m reducing calories. Besides that I’m afraid honey or brown sugar might give it different flavor than plain sweet, although I like both of those for different applications. Love brown sugar on pancakes , and honey on oatmeal. :)

Well, with lemon juice, I'd use a natural sweetener (unrefined sugar, or honey) but such things are purely and solely a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Nothing beats a fresh peach sliced, maybe sprinkle a little sugar on it. For some reason, bread tastes better when a piece is ripped off the loaf, but peaches taste better when sliced. :) Bought a tray of them from Costco.

Trivia: Peaches are native to Western China.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.