Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
What method, or recipe, do you use?
Thanks for the nice comments. We use about the same ratio of ingredients and methods every year which is 8 lbs tomatoes to 2 lbs Jalapenos to 1 lb onions. Of course the tomatoes are peeled, peppers de-seeded and everything is chopped then heated. To the jars we add 1/8 tsp each of salt, acid and garlic powder and then everything is pressure canned for 30 minutes.
We have switched it up over the years with different peppers, real garlic, lime, roasted peppers etc...
Mostly we use it as a base for chili, curries, stews but it is also good just to eat.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Substitute salt with anchovy paste.

Ah.

I adore anchovy paste; brilliant on toast......actually, on almost everything.

But then, I love anchovies; they go into fish sauces, soups, dishes, pasta dishes, and some dishes with eggs; I love their umami flavour.

Mind you, I'm equally capable of devouring them straight from the jar, or tin.

Thanks for the nice comments. We use about the same ratio of ingredients and methods every year which is 8 lbs tomatoes to 2 lbs Jalapenos to 1 lb onions. Of course the tomatoes are peeled, peppers de-seeded and everything is chopped then heated. To the jars we add 1/8 tsp each of salt, acid and garlic powder and then everything is pressure canned for 30 minutes.
We have switched it up over the years with different peppers, real garlic, lime, roasted peppers etc...
Mostly we use it as a base for chili, curries, stews but it is also good just to eat.

Many thanks for this; sounds absolutely mouth-wateringly delicious.

Years ago, my mother and I made some tomato chutney together.

We found an old 60s recipe (maybe even a 40s/50s recipe, anyway, it was in an old cookbook, and she recalled that my father - who had a very sweet tooth - had loved it when she made it shortly after they were married) which I thought had too much sugar, so - after some discussion, at my suggestion - we halved the quantity of sugar & the results were delicious.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I cook a lot of Asian dishes, and sometimes use msg as a way to increase umami and decrease salt usage. Usually, I use Vietnamese fish sauce made from anchovies. However, anchovy paste sounds like a good idea too. Any particular brand you recommend?

Fish sauce is a must with Asian dishes, but I also use anchovies melted into whatever oil I use for the cooking (along with minced garlic and finely chopped onions).

I've run out of anchovy paste, but will let you know the I get around to re-stocking; for now, I tend to use Ortiz anchovy fillets.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
I've made shrimp stock with the heads and shells of shrimps, then strained the resulting liquid; a little time consuming and labour intensive, but very tasty.

My Cajun wife always told me that they only made shrimp stock once or twice a year, they just made alot of it and froze it, I really thought she was making it up, but sure enough shrimp stock does freeze pretty good, and then you can have it all year even when raw shrimp aren't really affordable. (Yes I have to admit to having about 4 gallons of it in the big freezer)
-Tig

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My Cajun wife always told me that they only made shrimp stock once or twice a year, they just made alot of it and froze it, I really thought she was making it up, but sure enough shrimp stock does freeze pretty good, and then you can have it all year even when raw shrimp aren't really affordable. (Yes I have to admit to having about 4 gallons of it in the big freezer)
-Tig

That is a brilliant idea.

Another good idea is to pour a real good (fish) stock into ice cube containers, to freeze, and then, one can simply remove as much (or as little) of it - in the form of individually frozen ice cubes of stock - into whatever dish (or recipe) calls for this.

Reactions: kazmac

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Lobster roll... so good.

8908D218-68E7-4C5E-80BE-A23D98BCAC34.jpeg

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
High quality fresh corn probably some of the last of the season. In this area we are lucky to have many farmers that will pull the corn and sell it the same day, no days old corn makes a huge difference in that great corny flavor.
Tip: Your corn bottom (were it breaks off from the stalk) should be bright colored and fresh looking (no dry or brownish looking bottom, reject this corn) to get the best flavor.

IMG_20200907_165859311_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.