Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
The upvote was for the ham....

As for the peeps, uh, no. Ever try the blue ones? At our gatherings whatever color they were they only ended up getting microwaved which of course fetched exasperated bannings from the kitchen of the host.
Yes, I don't recall them tasting any different. The ones for Christmas or Halloween sometimes have other flavors like peppermint.

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
I knew I should have finished that Buttermilk off last week. :D

You know what though, I made the best bread out of this too thick and out of date beast and it was fantastic.
Couple hours after this photo it blew its top all the way into the living room.

PXL_20210410_212531079.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It was canned tuna belly, very nice on a salad with capers, steamed potatoes, lemon vinaigrette etc...

Seriously sublime flavor that made you say, mmmmm.

View attachment 1770980

Ortiz are an exceedingly good brand, but that 'red/maroon' tin of tuna - the 'ventresca' - is excellent.

Good enough - and I have used it in this context - to play the leading role in a dish of Salade Niçoise.

Reactions: anika200

oldBCguy

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2021
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Boiled raisin cake - a recipe I received in Corner Brook, NL - it's been tried & true many times since then, the photo taken of a pair of cakes made for Christmas last December.
fullsizeoutput_3530.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3532.jpeg
December.

• Love
Reactions: anika200

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Home made hotdogs, made 8 lbs and froze them. Only one main ingredient, Chuck Roast and the rest are just spices. Really tasty, you actually could taste the beef flavor.
Basic recipe is emulsified beed and spices then cold smoke them until cured and then straight into the freezer or the grill and onto a bun with mustard and onions.

PXL_20210531_151905601.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Home made hotdogs, made 8 lbs and froze them. Only one main ingredient, Chuck Roast and the rest are just spices. Really tasty, you actually could taste the beef flavor.
Basic recipe is emulsified beed and spices then cold smoke them until cured and then straight into the freezer or the grill and onto a bun with mustard and onions.

View attachment 1787000

They look amazing and I expect that they are delicious.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
As am I; however, I must admit that Asian - especially Japanese cuisine - has a wonderful way with fish.
I found that if I want good fish I end going to an Asian restaurant. The American ones by the beaches in California are usually not so good. You pay a lot and get fish basic grilled fish ? Anyone can put some fish on a grill and usually (not always of course as there are exceptions) that is what you get from a fish place at some fish restaurant at most beach restaurants in California. The Chinese and Japanese seem to have a good master on this though.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I found that if I want good fish I end going to an Asian restaurant. The American ones by the beaches in California are usually not so good. You pay a lot and get fish basic grilled fish ? Anyone can put some fish on a grill and usually (not always of course as there are exceptions) that is what you get from a fish place at some fish restaurant at most beach restaurants in California. The Chinese and Japanese seem to have a good master on this though.

Amen to that.

French restaurants (and cuisine) are excellent with fish, - and have a wonderful tradition - as are those from the Iberian peninsula, Italy, Greece, Turkey; actually, Scandinavia is also excellent re fish.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Amen to that.

French restaurants (and cuisine) are excellent with fish, - and have a wonderful tradition - as are those from the Iberian peninsula, Italy, Greece, Turkey; actually, Scandinavia is also excellent re fish.
I have never been to Turkey or Greece yet but hope to visit one day. I have been to Italy but not the others. Will try for sure one day if I can. ?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have never been to Turkey or Greece yet but hope to visit one day. I have been to Italy but not the others. Will try for sure one day if I can. ?

The Adriatic, likewise.

I have had superb fish dishes in Croatia, even in the years immediately after the recent Bosnian war of the 1990s, when returning to spend a few days in Split, being debriefed, having observed an election in Bosnia in 1997.

Actually, the fish served in parts of Bosnia (I recall an especially stunning squid dish, simple, and tasty, sautéed in olive oil and garlic, served with sautéed spinach & garlic, and roasted potatoes in 1997) was also excellent, and Bosnia suffered greatly during the war; more recently, returning to Bosnia a few years ago (more election work), I recall their amazing - and absolutely delicious - fish soups.

Off-hand, I cannot think of a country that comes complete with a Mediterranean coast that doesn't do justice to fish, or have a decent fish cuisine & culture.

Last edited:
Reactions: stylinexpat

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
The Adriatic, likewise.

I have had superb fish dishes in Croatia, even in the years immediately after the recent Bosnian war of the 1990s, returning to spend a few days in Split, having observed an election in Bosnia in 1997.

Actually, the fish served in parts of Bosnia (I recall an especially stunning squid dish, served with sautéed spinach & garlic, and roasted potatoes in 1997) was also excellent, and Bosnia suffered greatly during the war; more recently, returning to Bosna a few years ago (more election work), I recall their amazing - and absolutely delicious - fish soups.

Off-hand, I cannot think of a country that comes complete with a Mediterranean coast that doesn't do justice to fish, or have a decent fish cuisine & culture.
Never been to Bosnia either. You got me there too :p

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Mac & Cheese with Arugula, onions, garlic, ground cardamon seed.
Cheese was Cuba NY and Coopers, a rue was made then milk whisked in and then the cheeses melted in and finally the Mac etc....

PXL_20210819_142308002.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.