Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Tonight, I dined on an interpretation of - a tweaked version of - pasta Amatriciana.

Essentially, it is a pasta dish with a sauce made from sautéed guanciale (pig cheek) - rather than pancetta, - tomatoes, and grated Pecorino cheese.

My fridge currently plays host to both guanciale (which is rich, tasty and succulent), and Pecorino.

Also in my cupboard are several tins of (invariably excellent) San Marzano (Italian) tomatoes, - but it is high summer, and the local tomatoes are in season, are plentiful, exceedingly affordable because they are in season (thus, buying them in considerable numbers won't put a large hole in a domestic budget) and taste absolutely delicious.

So, I started by roasting two dishes of (locally grown, organic etc) cherry tomatoes in a hot oven (180-200C) for around 40-50 minutes; they were seasoned with sea salt, black pepper, and a little unrefined sugar, and generously anointed with olive oil.

Meanwhile, in a large, copper, sauté pan, I sautéed - in olive oil, slowly, very slowly - two very finely diced onions, until caramalised, a process that took around 40 to 50 minutes; ten minced cloves of new season's garlic were added, and they more or less dissolved into the caramalising onions,

Then, the guanciale: You cut off the rind (and discard), same for the peppery underside. Then, cut a large chunk - you will need a heavy, sharp knife - into sticks, and, from there, the sticks become diced guanciale. These are added to the sauté pan, and sautéed until translucent and slightly coloured.

The roasted tomatoes were removed from the oven, and added to the sauté pan, where they were mashed into the other ingredients, which were then all cooked together, at a gentle simmer, for a further twenty to thirty minutes, and were stirred as needed.

Fresh greens (mixed leaves, bought earlier today) provided a salad with a dressing (olive oil, sherry vinegar, a dash of balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, sea salt, black pepper, French Dijon mustard, honey, and some chopped flat leaf parsley); boiling salted water awaited the pasta, and, as the pasta cooked, a few dessertspoons of this liquid were added to the tomato and guanciale pan, and stirred through.

This lot were then mixed together, whereupon dinnner was served, complete with French table cloths, French napkins, crockery, cutlery, crystal glassware, all that makes a repast a feast worth celebrating and enjoying.

Last edited:

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Did Buffalo Wings (fried and then eventually sauced in the wok) outside on a Coleman bottle butane stove , finished product below. .
You pull them out at this point and the wings keep soaking up the sauce and eventually are kinda dry, that is when you toss them back in the sauce for one last dip. Always served with celery and some blue cheese dip/dressing, sides could be slightly different where you are.

PXL_20220724_212046781.jpg

Last edited:

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Catfish Creole - the raw food before it gets to your bowl minus the rice, which is really important.

PXL_20221201_162808017.jpg

Ingredients for Catfish Creole -- top left to right and down.
Emulsion head
2.5 Tbs butter
1.5 cups Chicken stock
1.5 cups chutney to be pureed
2 Tbs Flour
3 Sage leaves
Cajun Seasoning
1.5 lbs Catfish
Franks redhot sauce
1 cups chopped Parsely
1 cups chopped onion saute
1 cups chopped jalepeno saute
3 garlic cloves minced
The Chutney in the pan is:
3 persimmons chopped
3 tomatoes chopped
2 bay leaf
2 sage leaves minced
Various stock amounts as needed.
Chutney ingredients were all cooked ahead of this photo for hr and reduced to this state.

All will be combined and rendered delicious hopefully.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Catfish Creole - the raw food before it gets to your bowl minus the rice, which is really important.

View attachment 2121713

Ingredients for Catfish Creole -- top left to right and down.
Emulsion head
2.5 Tbs butter
1.5 cups Chicken stock
1.5 cups chutney to be pureed
2 Tbs Flour
3 Sage leaves
Cajun Seasoning
1.5 lbs Catfish
Franks redhot sauce
1 cups chopped Parsely
1 cups chopped onion saute
1 cups chopped jalepeno saute
3 garlic cloves minced
The Chutney in the pan is:
3 persimmons chopped
3 tomatoes chopped
2 bay leaf
2 sage leaves minced
Various stock amounts as needed.

All will be combined and rendered delicious hopefully.
The catfish is then cooked in this delicious sounding sauce?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Pasta Carbonara:

This evening, I reminded myself that these days, I live alone, and, as I love to dine late sometimes, why not indulge myself, as nobody here is demanding an early dinner.

Anyway, dinner took the form of the Italian classic, Pasta Carbonara; I realised that I had all of the ingredients to hand, and thought, why ever not?

So, Pasta Carbonara:

The ingredients for this dish are quite simple, and there aren't all that many of them, but, as with any supposedly "simple" dish, this means that it stands or falls on the quality of the ingredients.

The ingredients are: Pasta (preferably one of the long strand types, such as spaghetti, or tagliatelle, but any good quality pasta will suffice); eggs (actually, egg yolks - and here, the quality of the eggs do matter; preferably free range, as they taste better); guanciale (pig cheek); at a push, pancetta - or, any other bacon - will do fine, but guanciale is better; and Pecorino Romano (rather than Parmigiano Reggiano); some recipes call for a 50/50 mix of both, if you only have Parmigiano Reggiano that is fine, but the original recipe calls for Pecorino Romano.

And black pepper. This is a dish that calls for a generous hand with freshly ground black pepper.

Slice and dice the guanciale (remove the rind, and the peppered coating - just slice them off and discard them), then add the diced guanciale to a large saute pan, on a low heat. A very generous, a seriously large chunk of guanciale is what I have in mind; be generous, for this lovely bacon will add a wonderful flavour to your finished pasta dish.

Tonight, I added a little olive oil to the pan - most Italians do not even do this, as the fat of the guanciale will be rendered - to start them off; they will become translucent, and eventually, a little crisp.

Heat the pasta water; for once, you will not need to salt it, as the Pecorino (or Parmesan) cheese will be quite sufficiently salty, and cook the pasta - paying attention to how long it will take to cook - according to the instructions on the packet.

Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites (roughly one egg yolk per 100g of pasta, although you can be more generous), and add them to a bowl; tonight, I used two egg yolks (organic, free range) and one whole egg; whisk them.

Do not buy cheese already grated, it will not be fresh and it will taste of nothing; instead, buy a hunk, and grate it yourself.

When I had the cheese grated, most of it (in two batches) was added to the already whisked eggs, and stirred and whisked. Add some freshly ground black pepper.

If this mix is too claggy, too solid, one can dilute it a little with a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking water (which I did this evening); also, - although the purists will howl - should you feel the need for cream, this is when and where you can add it; as with the pasta cooking water, a few tablespoons/dessertspoons should suffice. You want the egg/cheese mix to be neither runny nor solid.

Turn off the heat for both the pasta and the guanciale in its saute pan. This is because you do not want the egg mixture to become scrambled eggs once it has been added to the pan.

Remove (and reserve) around half a mug of pasta cooking water; drain the pasta, and add it to the pan. Stir, coat it with the guanciale (and, above all, that lovely bacon fat that has rendered into the cooking liquid); add a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking liquid to it and stir and mix and marry.

Now, you pour in - slowly - the egg and cheese mix, on top of the pasta; stir around, blend, mix and meld and marry the lot, with tongs, and/or a wooden spoon; and don't forget to add plenty of freshly ground black pepper while you are stirring.

The pasta should be creamy, and should taste delicious (what is there not to like? For here, we have a dish that combines bacon, egg, cheese and pasta).

Serve, and savour.
This evening's dinner was Pasta Carbonara, a dish that is usually prepared with spaghetti, but I used fettuccine this evening, because I had it to hand, and because, I find that I tend to prefer it.

Now - the details of the recipe are quoted above from when I wrote about this dish in August - while one can tweak it, and creatively interpret it, a few key guidelines are still useful to remember.

The first is that you use guanciale (if possible), rather than pancetta, or bacon rashers; it really does make a difference.

The second is that you use Pecorino Ramano, rather than Parmigiano Reggiano, or, at a push, use a mix of 50/50.

And the third is that you use eggs, (I used free range, organic, etc etc, two egg using egg yolk, and one whole egg) rather than cream, although, and I trust @yaxomoxay will find it in his heart to forgive me for this lèse-majesté, this culinary sacrilege, I did add two dessertspoons of (organic) double cream to the egg and cheese mix - to loosen it a little - before adding the sauce to the pan.

A few dessertspoons - or tablespoons - of pasta cooking liquid (retained in a mug for this purpose) are also incredibly useful, and serve to bind the sauce to the pasta.

And the fourth thing to remember - and this is important - is this: While the final stage of the preparation of this dish requires concentration and focus, for things move rapidly - what is equally important to note is that this is not one of those dishes where you use a high heat, not even when sautéing the guanciale; the guanciale can be rendered beautifully on a low heat, (and take the time to do this, for even on a low heat guanciale cooks remarkably quickly), and, you then switch the heat off - turn the heat on the stove top off completely - before you, firstly, add the pasta, (and mix with the guanciale and its wonderful rendered fat), and secondly, - and this is vital - before you add the mixture of beaten/whisked/stirred egg and grated Pecorino Romano.

The only part of this dish that requires serious heat is the pasta cooking water when you are prreparing the pasta.

You want that wonderful egg mixture to merge and mix and mingle and marry the pasta and tasty cooked guanciale, (the addition of a few spoons of the pasta cooking water is invaluable at this stage) so that it is creamy, very slightly runny, and utterly delicious; you do not want it to turn into scrambled eggs.

Fifthly, you do not need salt (except in the pasta cooking water), but you can have an exceedingly generous hand with the black pepper; indeed, this is a perfect dish to bring out that enormous (and exquisite) pepper grinder - the thing that looks like an outsized chess piece and that someone probably brought back from a holiday in Italy several years ago.

In any case, the guanciale - and the Pecorino Romano - both have more than enough salt to flavour the dish, and I write this as someone who is passionate about the addition of salt, for, in a culinary sense, I can be said to reside in salt central (crisps, - chips to Our Transatlantic Cousins - anchovies, olives, and so I will happily and greedily demolish and devour the lot).

Sixth, this is one of those dishes where you can do the prep - at an easy pace - in advance; dice the guanciale, prepare the egg and grated Pecorino mixture, put the pasta cooking water on to boil, have the implements you need to hand, because it comes together very quickly at the end.

However, done properly, (which, unfortunately, is something rarely found in restaurants in our part of the world, most make a pretty poor interpretation of Carbonara - while most "Italian" restaurants are pretty good at the preparation of a dish where the sauce is tomato based - and tomato sauces, in addition to being tasty, tend to be very forgiving from the perspective of a chef, or cook - this is not the case with egg based dishes which tend to be demanding and where the line between delicious and disaster tends to be uncomfortably close), Pasta Carbonara is a delicious (and actually, quite easy) dish to prepare, and is absolutely wonderful - pure, soothing yet delicious - comfort food.

Eggs, bacon, grated cheese, pasta, - all combined together in a glorious rib-sticking repast, what is there not to like?

Last edited:
Reactions: anika200

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Sounds absolutely wonderful; served with rice?
Yes, over rice. You have inspired me with your pasta carbonara dish, its going on the menu next week. I guess I will have to use american bacon which is smoked but it should be a good substitute, the next door neighbor has free range chickens and sells the eggs and I happen to have a big chunk of hard aged sheep's cheese Pecorino Romano I believe.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yesterday, when paying a visit to the French bakery to collect my (pre-ordered) bread, I decided to treat myself to a croissant or two.

I don't often have croissants, but there are a few times in the year when they hit the spot. In general, I tend to prefer the savoury version - something akin to the classic croque monsieur - a warmed croissant with ham and cheese, a mouthful of melting deliciousness.

However, a cold spell in winter calls for something different. So, this morning's breakfast took the civilised form of croissants (heated, naturally), slathered with butter and French black cherry (high fruit content) jam, with coffee (Ethiopian, with hot milk) and freshly squeezed grapefruit juice.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Slow roasted pork belly: (Loosely based on a Gordon Ramsay recipe).

Score the skin of the pork belly in the classic diamond shape with a sharp knife, and rub salt - and brown demerara sugar - into the cracks.

In a roasting tin, heat some olive oil: Then, sauté some roughly chopped onion, some garlic (I used six fat cloves, roughly sliced), and some roughly sliced (and peeled) cooking apples (tart, sharp tasting apples).

Some star anise was added, as were caraway seeds, and some juniper berries, and the lot sautéed; add a little more olive oil, then, add the pork belly to the roasting tin, skin side down, to lightly colour it and seal it.

When that is done, turn it over, and add some white wine to the roasting tin; burn off the alcohol, and add some stock (I used chicken stock); I then added locally sourced (organic, natural) apple juice. Pour in sufficient liquid for it to reach the skin of the pork belly - you want the flesh bathed in those lovely cooking juices.

At this stage, the roasting tin goes into the oven, (180-190C 360-380F) which has been pre-heated, where it will spend two and a half hours; take it out every hour to check for liquid (and add some more apple juice if necessary; after nearly two hours, I also added honey to the beautifully crispy skin).

I served sautéed potatoes, a mix of standard potatoes and sweet potatoes, peeled and diced, (sautéed in olive oil) and thoroughly soaked and rinsed in water to remove some of the starch; they were sautéed along with finely chopped red onion, several finely diced fat cloves of garlic, and sprigs of rosemary and thyme.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quake1028

Quake1028

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
Sunshine State
I don't know if those homemade ones would work in this context, but I LOVE putting Cheez Its in my chili. Original flavor is fine, but white cheddar sets off a bowl of chili.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.