Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Got this hot chocolate at Cafe Reissue in Harajuku. The artists at this place will turn practically any image you show them into latte art, all by hand. You can choose between 3D designs like mine; or if you opt for 2D latte art, they can go super detailed, even off of photos. You can see more of the artist who did my cocoa on their Twitter. Very impressive stuff!
56E506FA-EA61-4F19-852D-FD8E7CCDCE81.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This time of year, for a few more weeks, wild garlic is in season; the leaves (ramsons) are wonderful in green salads, or steamed (with spinach, kale, or chard), and they make an amazing pesto. Then, as the season progresses, the leaves coarsen, their flavour becoming far stronger, while the stem strengthens and produces a bulb of fresh, new season's 'wet' garlic for a few weeks.

While I love pesto - the standard, well-known pesto (basil leaves, pine nuts, olive oil, crushed garlic, and grated Pecorino Romano or Parmiginao Reggiano cheese) - fresh wild garlic pesto is sublime, and is well worth seeking out while it is still in season.

Last edited:
Reactions: adrianlondon

alstar

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
This time of year, for a few more weeks, wild garlic is in season; the leaves (ramsons) are wonderful in green salads, or steamed (with spinach, kale, or chard), and they make an amazing pesto. Then, as the season progresses, the leaves coarsen, their flavour becoming far stronger, while the stem strengthens and produces a bulb of fresh, new season's 'wet' garlic for a few weeks.

While I love pesto - the standard, well-known pesto (basil leaves, pine nuts, olive oil, crushed garlic, and grated Pecorino Romano or Parmiginao Reggiano cheese) - fresh wild garlic pesto is sublime, and is well worth seeking out while it is still in season.

Absolutely agree with you on the wild garlic pesto! I've tried it in past years, and it brings a whole new depth of flavor compared to traditional pesto. Just thinking about it makes me want to forage for some this weekend!

Speaking of which, I have a special recipe that you might enjoy. I love making burgers with pesto. I usually get my burgers from Costco, specifically those Kirkland ground beef patties, they're just delicious. I spread a generous layer of the wild garlic pesto on the patties and grill them. The pesto gives the burgers this incredible garlicky punch, and the juice from the meat mingles with it in the most delightful way.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I spent the day smoking pork butt for pulled pork. We have a get together tomorrow afternoon, and I was asked to smoke the meat. My smoker magically turned 14 pounds of raw pork into 10 pounds of delicious, smoky and flavorful pulled pork... will sauce it up, put it on a bun with a scoop of coleslaw and feed my inner foodie.

1691898008285.jpeg

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
I spent the day smoking pork butt for pulled pork. We have a get together tomorrow afternoon, and I was asked to smoke the meat. My smoker magically turned 14 pounds of raw pork into 10 pounds of delicious, smoky and flavorful pulled pork... will sauce it up, put it on a bun with a scoop of coleslaw and feed my inner foodie.

View attachment 2245199

Looks Great, wow, nice.
I have found that no matter what I do pork butts always take about 12-15 hrs to actually get cooked well. You really do need to get to a solid 190, the longer it lingers in the 160 range the more broken down the collagen will be.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Looks Great, wow, nice.
I have found that no matter what I do pork butts always take about 12-15 hrs to actually get cooked well. You really do need to get to a solid 190, the longer it lingers in the 160 range the more broken down the collagen will be.

Yes... this was almost an 11 hour cook... started at 225º F until it reached internal temp of 160º F ... then moved it to a racked pan with apple juice and covered tightly with aluminum foil... kicked the temp to 300º F and cooked to internal temp of 195º F. As with most smoking and BBQ, low and slow is the key to render the marbled fat and break down any collagen. I tend to get anxious at about the 9-10 hour mark as the temperature tends to stall... but patience is always rewarded.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes smoked it here at the house, it is pretty amazing if I do say so myself. We finally got hooked up with a great fish monger and can now get really fresh seafood, in this case a whole side of Scottish Salmon.
Wonderful.

Do you smoke any fish other than salmon?

Such as trout, or eel, for example?

I love (good quality) smoked fish, especially at this time of year.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Baked a country loaf today. Now I just need to figure out what to spread on it, hmmm or I could drag it through some potato soup which is on tomorrows dinner menu.

View attachment 2327927
That looks absolutely amazing; do enjoy.

Any sort of almost liquid cheese - Gorgonzola Cremosa, or ripe seasonal Brie, or an Époisses with dreams of world domination - would all work well here, as would baba ganoush (baba ghanouj), hummus, or, yes, for that matter, a good potato soup, or any good vegetable soup.

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
That looks absolutely amazing; do enjoy.

Any sort of almost liquid cheese - Gorgonzola Cremosa, or ripe seasonal Brie, or an Époisses with dreams of world domination - would all work well here, as would baba ganoush (baba ghanouj), hummus, or, yes, for that matter, a good potato soup, or any good vegetable soup.
Great suggestions, next time I will plan ahead and have some nice cheeses here.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Great suggestions, next time I will plan ahead and have some nice cheeses here.
That bread looks wonderful.

Mind you, for breakfast, it would be lovely with a good artisan jam (apricot, perhaps?), the sort of jam that is high in fruit, or has a high fruit content, - or raspberry - and low in sugar, and butter.

And, also for breakfast, that bread would be wonderful with free range, organic eggs (irrespective of whether they were fried, poached, scrambled).

I am fantasising as to what I would choose to have (to serve) with such delicious bread; it looks like some of the amazing breads (which invariably taste divine) that come from the French bakery I visit weekly.

Anyway, do enjoy.

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Interesting Zatar bread I made today, really good flavor and chew and crust so all good, the bad is the recipe was totally ad lib with sourdough starter, turmeric, potato flakes, wheat germ and never to be made again.

PXL_20240323_211225210.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.