Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Harrison Lu got vaporized, the token Asian guy.
This episode took a strong turn, and I don't mean in a bad way. Just about everyone is in a jam now.
  • Ed, for starting the moon war (to be fair, the Soviets provoked it)
  • Karen, whose husband probably isn't coming home any time soon, perhaps never, while dealing with indirectly causing her son's death and Ed's insanity
  • Presumed surviving crew members of Apollo 24, Ellen and Deke
  • Margo, for having to deal with not only the moon war, but Apollo 24
  • Aleida, who is now effectively an orphan
The only silver linings are Gordo and Tracy -- their cool thinking and teamwork saved even bigger disaster (while being true friends to Ed and Karen).

There was a very apparent beat in the 24/25 crisis scene where you really weigh Margo’s calculated choice to abandon Molly and I don’t think it is an accident. There are parallels to the actions she condemned Von Braun for and I’m willing to bet that Apollo 25 weighs on her harder than 24 in the long run. I could see Aleida playing a major role in recovery/redemption.

I’m really pulling for Gordo and Tracy. Of all the relationships on the show, they started off the shakiest, but I bet they end the season as the strongest and most mature. The wildcard is their kid though. I can’t tell if their lack of parenting is intended or an oversight.

I’m super anxious for the season finale and what stories will be tied up and which will carry over/be a cliffhanger.

Reactions: nutmac

fweber

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Germany
Somehow i don't like the story anymore. Up until episode 6 the storytelling was intriguing, but since then it's rather discouraging for me. I'm watching a sad compilation of random people dying, NASA not getting their s... together and the rest of them doing stupid things (still hopeful for Ivan).
Hopefully Ep 10 will change things, otherwise i'm not gonna join season 2.

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
Somehow i don't like the story anymore. Up until episode 6 the storytelling was intriguing, but since then it's rather discouraging for me. I'm watching a sad compilation of random people dying, NASA not getting their s... together and the rest of them doing stupid things (still hopeful for Ivan).
Hopefully Ep 10 will change things, otherwise i'm not gonna join season 2.
I still think it’s the best of the Apple shows so far, but I admittedly fast forward past all the drama on earth, and watch only the space related things,

Reactions: Jxdawg and gkarris

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I can't understand why this show isn't getting more attention. I think it's excellent and damn, the last part of episode 9 was chilling.

It is getting attention. People who I know aren’t typical Apple nerds but got AppleTV+ free with their new iPhone have been talking about the show on social media.

Unlike the era of live TV, these shows don’t air once and then are gone, missing the opportunity to gain traction. People will pick them up months or even years from now. For All Mankind is hands down the best show on AppleTV+ and as the service ramps up and gains a critical mass of users, it’ll be in the back catalogue and I expect it to blow up into popular culture.

Last edited:

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
I liked the finale. Overall, I wish the tv show was 5% earth human drama instead of 30%.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
So when are getting season 2? I’m kind of glad it didn’t end on a big cliffhanger and instead fairly positive and upbeat.

First - Deke. ?
I was surprised by his reaction at first as he seemed a character and determination matter more kind of guy. I am glad he realized his bigotry and reversed his judgment before he died, even if he didn’t renounce his beliefs.

Ivan/Mekeil - I liked how this played out too. I was convinced season 2 was going to be Moon Wars after episode 9. They really played the tension well right through on whether Ed would kill him and if he would betray Ed while working together.

Ellen - I refuse to believe even fictional altNASA would leave anyone alone on the Moon again after finally recovering the last astronaut that got stranded there. Let alone the bad press of multiple recent accidents and astronauts dying. Let alone that her entire crew just died. I was so sure she was going to blurt out “I love you Pam” too. I think Pam’s jealousy will spill that soon enough though,

Margo - Not really over surprised by anything between her and Alaida. Crying when Molly supported her was a nice bit of writing though.

Gordo and Tracy - I love seeing their non-traditional dynamic circling back to make their relationship stronger. I’m going to make a bold prediction that, if the show makes a big enough time jump next season, one of them will be President. Just getting the feeling they’re going someplace big with them.

And The Post Credits Scene - I‘ve read about some of the things General Dynamics and General Atomics conceptualized like giant nuclear rockets, so I’m excited to see where this goes.

Reactions: mazz0 and Wackery

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Loved the last episode for season 1.

Also don’t forget to watch the scene after the credits, when we move to 1983....

That’s a Sea Dragon rocket rising from the ocean. Sea Dragon was a huge rocket, never built, but proposed in 1962...

1200px-Sea-Dragon.jpg

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Love the finale. The gay stuff had me on edge. I’m so scared it would become too preachy and ruin the show. Luckily it’s not. And the bookend is just excellent!

Wish Season 2 would premiere next Friday. ? This Show is the kind of show that could get stronger and stronger as we move to the future.

What an ending!

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Fine, I am hooked on this show now. Just started yesterday, 3 shows in. And, during watching, I had to keep Googling dates and such. Ugh, the whole reminder of history classes at school, came flooding back to me :D :eek: :)

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I liked the finale. Overall, I wish the tv show was 5% earth human drama instead of 30%.

Not me - the human drama was incredible. The storyline about the son... jesus, that was intense.

Also don’t forget to watch the scene after the credits, when we move to 1983....

That’s a Sea Dragon rocket rising from the ocean. Sea Dragon was a huge rocket, never built, but proposed in 1962...

1200px-Sea-Dragon.jpg

Ooh, I feel a trip to Wikipedia coming on...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

1200px-Sea-Dragon.jpg

So does this mean S2 starts in 1983? That's my decade! Oh, the culture and music!!

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Oh my goodness, the tunes! And to think we STILL REMEMBER all the words from those songs.
The songs of today, last 2 minutes, and these kids think those songs are classics. LOL

Thanks for the memories...

So does this mean S2 starts in 1983? That's my decade! Oh, the culture and music!!

Reactions: gkarris

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Macintosh product placement in 3... 2... 1...
;)
("see" what I did there?)
On Ed Baldwin table no doubt. ?

For kicks, they should show the screen of one of the first games for it, "Hitchicker's Guide to the Galaxy"...

;)

Reactions: matrix07

Smartwatchlover

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
Rome
I really liked this TV series, well done on Apple!

In particular I like the fact that the whole story is based on “what could have been” if the race to the space would have been ongoing with (I guess) an almost unlimited budget.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I can't understand why this show isn't getting more attention. I think it's excellent and damn, the last part of episode 9 was chilling.
I really want to like it but I can't seem to finish episode 1 after multiple attempts. Nothing drags me in.

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
I really want to like it but I can't seem to finish episode 1 after multiple attempts. Nothing drags me in.
I’m a huge space buff and Apollo fan, and I struggled with Episode 2 for a while. I just had a business trip so I downloaded E2-10 and binge watched over a few days when flying.

It gets better. Acting, storyline, character development.

I am not a huge fan of all the social justice stuff but it’s not too overbearing.

Looking forward to S2.

As I have always been a huge Gene Kranz fan I was saddened with his “death”, and the Saturn V explosion. But as soon as it started blowing up I was waiting for the LES to kick in, which it did.

i am also a bit disappointed with the amount of screwups NASA is doing. Seems like every episode after the first couple is some sort of Apollo 13 disaster on steroids.

I also wonder in this alternate reality if Korolev survived in the Soviet Union...he’s the only one who could have made the N1 work.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.