Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
I own an Android smartphone, and an iOS tablet. Happy balance.

Same! with having both a Android Phone and, a Android Tablet, you get the best of both world's game wise. Each OS has there own title exclusive features!

that's why I am planning on purchasing my school loaned iPad Air in addition to a Android Tablet (with a AndroidPhone) Thus, I get the best of both worlds!

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I've been enjoying both Android and iPhones concurrently since the very beginning. For novices iPhone is simpler and its reduced functionality compared to a top of line Android is acceptable to mainstream buyers that don't use all the features of any smartphone.

For the lightweight enthusiasts iOS is enough for them.

For the skilled knowledgable enthusiast that uses all features offered its the file system where Android excels and is superior. Unlike Apples locked down proprietary limitations, Android is like ones laptop that allows all kinds of operations to be performed. My Nexus 6 serves as my primary smartphone and I enjoy using my iPhone 6 Plus simply to keep up with what Apple is up to.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I dont like swapping between two phones or os's, android for me
Yeah me either. I'm a settler and I've settled on Android. I don't have a tablet but it would probably be Android as well if I did but I've never had a tablet.

I don't get those who have to have multiple phones or a need to have multiple platforms and such but whatever floats your boat. It's not my money, lol.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I mean dont get me wrong, I am not fanboyish about it. I can appreciate them all, I just prefer Android and I dont like swapping between devices regularly.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Leaping back to the iPhone, maybe as soon as tomorrow. It isn't anythingmajor, I will explain more tomorrow after work.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
For me, iOS will always be my platform of choice. But there's something about having an Android that I find appealing. I had always wanted to try out a Note 5 so that's what I've got right now. Eventually I think Android will become as ubiquitous for me as iOS is....

Not yet. Maybe Android M?

Reactions: TRDmanAE86 and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Last week, found myself using split window to listen to a youtube song and checking lyrics on Chrome.

I've said (and demonstrated) this a number of times before: I don't use split window very often, but when I do, it's super handy.

GsUmHcyl.png

I can do that without needing split screen window ;)

I just use YouTube audio in the background :)

I honestly don't like split screen window on mobile devices. For me it becomes redundant as soon as I need to interact via text keyboard with either screen and then it becomes obscured by the keyboard making two screens redundant. I can see the point on tablets / bigger devices and more real estate, but mobiles ? I simply don't like using it on them regardless and never felt the solution fully solved a problem in doing so - but that is just my opinion. I'm sure others use it but me, I don't feel it works well (maybe I'm interacting with text more than others).

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
What makes you take the leap?

I have this issue where i keep going from iOS to Android then back again. I love both but the most i have managed is 18 months and that was way back at a time where the 3GS was king...

I have flirted with others but these two win for me.

Over to you. :)
I feel you. I go back and forth, between the HTC One M9 and the iPhone 6. I like the M9 so much, that I use it much more than the iPhone, but then at some point, I miss the iPhone...
There is no perfect phone and that is the issue here. I would love to have an iPhone with the design of the M9, some of the features of Android and the iOS simplicity. I guess we are not there yet.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I can do that without needing split screen window ;)

I just use YouTube audio in the background :)

I honestly don't like split screen window on mobile devices. For me it becomes redundant as soon as I need to interact via text keyboard with either screen and then it becomes obscured by the keyboard making two screens redundant. I can see the point on tablets / bigger devices and more real estate, but mobiles ? I simply don't like using it on them regardless and never felt the solution fully solved a problem in doing so - but that is just my opinion. I'm sure others use it but me, I don't feel it works well (maybe I'm interacting with text more than others).

Yup split screen doesn't lend to keyboard use but that doesn't take away from its usefulness.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Leaping back to the iPhone, maybe as soon as tomorrow. It isn't anythingmajor, I will explain more tomorrow after work.

Took forever, but I'm finally doing it. Some of these are likely unfair, but they're based on my use case and how the iPhone 6+ works best for me.

I don't have to be paranoid about battery life. I used the web browser for about 45 minutes or more and youtube for 15 and still had about 50% by the end of the night. I can't say the same for any other phone I've had, except maybe my 1520. I know this isn't fair on the basis of the battery being bigger, the screen having a lower resolution, and the processor likely being more efficient.

I like the iPhone keyboard. That's just preference. I type better and the autocorrect works better for me.

I get great pictures 100% of the time.

I can use the bezels as a spot to put my fat fingers when watching videos.

Great built in apps. I can go yell at a multi billion dollar company when they screw up their podcast app. Also, the browser of iOS 9 is just better than Chrome Dev.

These are just the reasons off the top of my head. It's also good to be able to watch the episodes of Steven Universe I bought before on iTunes.

Reactions: MRU

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Took forever, but I'm finally doing it. Some of these are likely unfair, but they're based on my use case and how the iPhone 6+ works best for me.

I don't have to be paranoid about battery life. I used the web browser for about 45 minutes or more and youtube for 15 and still had about 50% by the end of the night. I can't say the same for any other phone I've had, except maybe my 1520. I know this isn't fair on the basis of the battery being bigger, the screen having a lower resolution, and the processor likely being more efficient.

I like the iPhone keyboard. That's just preference. I type better and the autocorrect works better for me.

I get great pictures 100% of the time.

I can use the bezels as a spot to put my fat fingers when watching videos.

Great built in apps. I can go yell at a multi billion dollar company when they screw up their podcast app. Also, the browser of iOS 9 is just better than Chrome Dev.

These are just the reasons off the top of my head. It's also good to be able to watch the episodes of Steven Universe I bought before on iTunes.
Cool, to each their own. I always hated the iPhone keyboard. And no camera gives great pics 100% of the time.

Enjoy the phone. That's what it's all about.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Cool, to each their own. I always hated the iPhone keyboard. And no camera gives great pics 100% of the time.

I agree completely. Find what works and like what you like. I just put this because I said I would and the topic in question. Maybe my keyboard thing is because my first smartphone was an iPhone?

Last edited:

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
I think I simply get bored.

I don't think it's to do with any particular device suddenly going bad after two or three months but that's the time frame when I get itchy and switch.

And with Apple having one new phone (sizes excluded) on a yearly release cycle I'm always gonna hop around and back.

I do stick firmly with iPads for the tablet though.

Agent-J

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
I broke down yesterday and ordered an Ubik Uno off the kickstarter. $300 for the phone, seems like good specs. I hope it gets Cyanogenmod support; if not, I'll give it to my oldest and use his Oneplus One with Cyanogenmod. I dislike Google and can hardly believe I'm getting an Android, but if I can de-Google the phone enough, it won't be too bad. After 3 years with my iPhone 5, I've come to realize I really only need a phone with GPS, web browser, music, calendar, the Kindle app, and a few simple games. All other functions are better done on my iPad. And I don't like the 6-series design anyway. So I'll save $300+ and live with a non-iOS phone. I'm sad but kind of excited at the same time.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I ended up returning my note 5. I couldn't stand the touch Wiz lag coming from an iPhone. I ended up picking up the Moto X pure which is pretty smooth.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I broke down yesterday and ordered an Ubik Uno off the kickstarter. $300 for the phone, seems like good specs. I hope it gets Cyanogenmod support; if not, I'll give it to my oldest and use his Oneplus One with Cyanogenmod. I dislike Google and can hardly believe I'm getting an Android, but if I can de-Google the phone enough, it won't be too bad. After 3 years with my iPhone 5, I've come to realize I really only need a phone with GPS, web browser, music, calendar, the Kindle app, and a few simple games. All other functions are better done on my iPad. And I don't like the 6-series design anyway. So I'll save $300+ and live with a non-iOS phone. I'm sad but kind of excited at the same time.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but thinking of 64gb 6s+. I FaceTime at least 5 times a day and don't want a cross platform product.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
I love both platforms. I use the 6+ as my DD but I love the way the S6 edge plus is looking. I went down to T-Mobile to take a look at it. Very nice and sleek phone indeed. I hope the 6S+ impresses me because my eyes are definitely on the S6 edge+. Had the Note 5 for a week. Definitely a beast of a phone but I found myself not using the pen at all. Tried but na.....

Reactions: yui4

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I can't stand the iPhone keyboard, I MUCH prefer Fleksy, but unfortunately Fleksy on iOS is a complete and utter piece of crap. IPhone pictures are awesome in low light, one thing I've found them superior at than any Android phone I've used, but I haven't used the new generation so I can't judge those.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I originally hopped to Android just before iOS 7 was released. Right before that I promptly sold my iPhone 4 because people were saying iOS 7 was slow on it. Got a Galaxy S4 as replacement and that's what I'm still using.

My beefs with iOS at the time was that you pretty much had to jailbreak to fix its annoyances. With iOS 8 and 9 many of those have been fixed but two still remain: no proper filesystem (or any central place where you can just download any file and open it with any program) and no changing default apps (like default browser).

That said Android also needed a custom ROM to fix issues with previous Android versions. Only Lollipop has finally made the stock version good enough that I don't mind. In general it works fine for me.

I considered getting the iPhone 6S but then decided against it since I don't feel it's much of an upgrade over my S4, is very expensive and requires a case. I would like to have all my devices run iOS (as I have a MBP for work and iPad Air 2 for travel) but I can only hope iPhone 7 has a better design (less slippery, less ugly bands, better front+back color choices) and more disk space on the cheapest model.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
What makes you take the leap?

I have this issue where i keep going from iOS to Android then back again. I love both but the most i have managed is 18 months and that was way back at a time where the 3GS was king...

I have flirted with others but these two win for me.

Over to you. :)

I've gone back and forth too mostly using iPhone 5 and 5s and 6 and trying out other Android phones Galaxy S4, S5

But after trying the new Note 5 it simply blows everything away period.

#1. Best Display on the Market PERIOD QHD OLED tested by Displaymate.
#2. Its has the best 16MP OIS camera )well see how the 6s does)
#3. Super Fast, YouTube 1440p video and websurficng Split View same time theres nothing it can't do
#4. Next gen LTE Radio 600Mbps Whatever Radio/Antenna is in the Note 5 its simply 2x faster than the iPhone 6 in areas my 6 can't get Data or Make calls the Note 5 does both.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Look at my sig below, with my smartphone history. I have only gone back to the iPhone once, this past winter with a 6 Plus. And 30 days later came running back to Android and Nexus.

The iPhone has great hardware, beautiful display, best build quality. But man does iOS suck still IMO. It needs major updates and revisions before I could come back permanently. It feels like an outdated OS.

I am LOVING my Note 5 rooted with custom ROM.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I've switched back and forth a few times. Even more tempted to jump back since iOS 9 wrecked my phone. Looking at the Z5 Compact which seems to tick all the boxes. Mad thing is, I could sell my 6 and nearly have enough to buy one outright.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
For me, the only thing iOS has over Android is how good it restores. From settings, app data, all the down to the exact way your homescreen was.

This is possible and better on Android using nandroid backups, but you can't do that without rooting and it's not sync based.

Samsung tried to duplicate this with SmartSwitch, but it only restored app data to about 25% of my apps and I still had to setup my homescreen folders and widgets.

Perhaps maybe this is one of the reasons Apple is keeping the homescreen app drawer based, cause maybe it will be a pain to try to restore.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86 and MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.