Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EarthDay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2021
As soon as I saw the white magic keyboard I had to preorder it. The silver 12.9 inch with the white keyboard would be an awesome combo... for a few months.

I can imagine after some time it isn’t going to look quite as good. So I’m curious about those in my position, what will your strategy be to keep it clean?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Even if the keyboard itself doesn’t turn yellow
Just think about all the grease on your fingers that will transfer to the surface of the keyboard… Ugh… as great as it is on photos I don’t dare to order the white keyboard.

FHoff

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
Some soap water and rubbing your hands together for 20 or more seconds throughout the day not only keeps your hands clean it also keeps things you touch cleaner.

I have and have had many Apple devices and accessories in white with no issues. This one should be no different.

Reactions: srbNYC and jchap

EarthDay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2021
From some of the MKB I’ve played around in store, it seems that most of the fingerprints occur on the back and bottom of the case. I reckon a skin might be a good idea now thinking of it.

Reactions: papbot and MacMandy

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I’m planning to massage my excitement on the places of where the dirty parts emerge on the white magic keyboard

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
If COVID should have taught people anything it’s to wash your hands more often. I have an OCD condition, so I wash my hands so much that I doubt my white MKB would stand any chance of getting dirty. :p

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
imacs with white magic keyboard at my office, impeccable even after 3-4 years
Don't worry about it, clean it once per week or 2 weeks with pulverise water on a microfibre cloth

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I have an Apple Wireless Keyboard, the one that uses 2 AA batteries. It must be somewhere between 5-10 years old and has been used for hours every day for all these years, including several years of being thrown (without a cover) in my rucksack 5 days a week and taken to various places.

All the white plastic keycaps are still perfectly clean and look as good as new. I clean it every couple of months with rubbing alcohol and cotton wool. Glasses lens spray also works well.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I find the black/grey one shows oil and fingerprints and white dust. I wouldn’t be surprised if people are pleasantly surprised at how the white holds up. It’s about the same material as a white iPhone silicone case which hasn’t really gotten dirty with over a year of use at the gym.

MacMandy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
I have a dBrand skin on my black 11” MK and it’s brilliant. I will get the same brand for my new white 12.9” MK.
17986BBD-5305-416B-9DA6-D0F056AE189F.jpeg

Last edited:

Okta

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2014
We've been using the white keyboard for decades, as long as we can find a way to wipe it or just keep our hands clean it should last for a few years before getting truly gross. What I don't want to see is the ebay used section, people trying to get 90% of retail for their grubby keyboards :oops:

Reactions: victry1

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I have a dBrand skin on my black 11” MK and it’s brilliant. I will get the same brand for my new white 12.9” MK. View attachment 1774077
Looks awesome! Have you tried taking one off before? I’m kinda scared to put a skin or stickers on a MKB for fear of causing damage to it.

Edit: Which option is that skin? I don’t see it on there site for the Gen 5 MKB. I love that design. The others don’t seem quite as appealing.

MacMandy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
Looks awesome! Have you tried taking one off before? I’m kinda scared to put a skin or stickers on a MKB for fear of causing damage to it.

Edit: Which option is that skin? I don’t see it on there site for the Gen 5 MKB. I love that design. The others don’t seem quite as appealing.
I have taken a skin off a folio case before and it was fine. I researched the MK skin beforehand and was assured it’s easily removable leaving no marks, but I’ve no intention of removing it anytime soon.
The skin is an MKBD icon skin that was for a limited time. I’ve heard good things about the swarm and matrix skins. I’m going for a lilac this time. I think it will look pretty with the white and silver colouring.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
From some of the MKB I’ve played around in store, it seems that most of the fingerprints occur on the back and bottom of the case. I reckon a skin might be a good idea now thinking of it.
I have the Smart Keyboard Folio, 3rd gen, and the underside that sits on whatever surface you’re using the device on developed a couple roughened areas. And I only used it propped on a pillow or a smooth topped lap desk. Looking at YouTube reviews of these keyboards I saw that almost all of the ones that were shown in the reviews had the same roughened areas. So that’s inevitable, the Magic Keyboard is made of the same material so I’ve got them now covered in skins also. Which makes the color you order irrelevant most of it won’t be visible, at least externally. The material of the keyboards feels really nice but is not durable. Fingerprints are easy to deal with, those roughened areas can’t be resolved. I’ve wondered that if those areas get even worse do they just wear down to the structure underneath. I preferred not to find out and ordered the skins. On the old keyboard I just have the underside covered, on the new one I covered all of the outside surfaces, I haven’t messed with any of the interior surfaces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.