Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I have the Smart Keyboard Folio, 3rd gen, and the underside that sits on whatever surface you’re using the device on developed a couple roughened areas. And I only used it propped on a pillow or a smooth topped lap desk. Looking at YouTube reviews of these keyboards I saw that almost all of the ones that were shown in the reviews had the same roughened areas. So that’s inevitable, the Magic Keyboard is made of the same material so I’ve got them now covered in skins also. Which makes the color you order irrelevant most of it won’t be visible, at least externally. The material of the keyboards feels really nice but is not durable. Fingerprints are easy to deal with, those roughened areas can’t be resolved. I’ve wondered that if those areas get even worse do they just wear down to the structure underneath. I preferred not to find out and ordered the skins. On the old keyboard I just have the underside covered, on the new one I covered all of the outside surfaces, I haven’t messed with any of the interior surfaces.
On my Magic Keyboard for the 2018 iPP, I have a skin only on the bottom of the keyboard, as it's the side that seems to get scuffed the most.

49937924091_7b31886cd5.jpg

The keyboard itself I just wipe down before using it, but I don't obsess. Black or white, the case will get scuffs, bits of discoloration, it's just inevitable from use. I just maintain it as I use it and don't worry about it.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Curve-ball question… so when closed, the keys come in contact with the iPad screen? Doesn’t this scratch/damage the screen?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Curve-ball question… so when closed, the keys come in contact with the iPad screen? Doesn’t this scratch/damage the screen?
The keys never touch the screen on the MKB. They are recessed into an area that has a border that prevents the screen from coming down far enough to the hit the keys. Now with that extra .5mm there..could be an issue with the older MKB but I think it would work just the same with that border.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
On my Magic Keyboard for the 2018 iPP, I have a skin only on the bottom of the keyboard, as it's the side that seems to get scuffed the most.

49937924091_7b31886cd5.jpg

The keyboard itself I just wipe down before using it, but I don't obsess. Black or white, the case will get scuffs, bits of discoloration, it's just inevitable from use. I just maintain it as I use it and don't worry about it.
I agree with you. The old SMK folio just had that bottom surface covered with a skin, after I saw those rough spots. The other surfaces haven’t had a problem. But I did apply a skin to the other exterior surfaces on the new new one just because…no real reason. Too much time on my hands.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
The keys never touch the screen on the MKB. They are recessed into an area that has a border that prevents the screen from coming down far enough to the hit the keys. Now with that extra .5mm there..could be an issue with the older MKB but I think it would work just the same with that border.

Ah cool, thanks for that info.

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I've found the DBrand skins for the outside of the keyboard great on my existing grey/black magic keyboard. Will probably buy another set of those, as they provide great grip and keep it looking very clean.

Inside has been ok, just a regular once over with an antibacterial wipe has kept the keyboard in good shape.

(I also had a DBrand skin on the back of my old 12.9 and removed it prior to sale. It peeled off easily and left no residue at all).

Reactions: MacMandy

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
im not going to keep it clean. maybe once every 4-6 months or so ill take a cloth to it and let the grime tattoo itself to the machine. my only concern is functional durability tho.

Reactions: JayMysterio
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.