Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kambala

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2021
Moscow, Russia
So that this means there is no HWA without the driver?
yes, unfortunately. I don't really need HWA on Windows, it runs mostly okay for my needs. But I've asked for help on the Intel forums anyway, although there's little hope.
You can write to registers with chipseq driver
oh yes, indeed. I've recently played with chipsec bootable USB a bit, but it always complained that my CPU/chipset is unsupported (found GitHub issue about same, nobody's gonna add support for it). Now tried again inside macOS 10.13, added a stub CPU config XML to reduce complaints (adding chipset info looks more difficult), tested reading/writing to IO ports - works! Could change display brightness successfully.
Bash:
# obtain max brightness value
sudo ./chipsec_util.py io read 0x770 4

# set brightness (this example sets to the max value obtained from above command)
sudo ./chipsec_util.py io write 0x774 4 0x00014187

Btw tested copying AppleMuxControl.kext from 10.12:
  • this enabled brightness control on 10.13
  • in Big Sur OCLP it didn't. Also tried replacing full AppleGraphicsControl.kext plus AppleBrightness.kext - no luck so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: startergo

OldMacPro2

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2022
I am jumping in here without having read all the posts, but I am hoping someone will have mercy and point me in the right direction.

Running a MBP 15" (mid-2010) here, also known as a 6,2.

I've gotten it up to Big Sur 11.7.2.

However, the screen brightness controls do not work. Neither the F1 F2 keys or the control panel slider.

Is there a fix to get that working agian?

Thank you.

Skaboosh

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2018
Hey everyone,

I hope someone could share some advice.

I did 'the fix' on my Early 2011 MBP 17" in July 2018 (and also my wife's MBP too), both have been working fine. Since then I've upgraded my phone and to backup it up, I need to update my iTunes to 12.8.3 (currently 12.8.2.3), but to do that I need to update my ios to 10.13.6 (currently 10.12.6).

So my question is, if I update my ios to 10.13.6, is it going to erase all the coding I did for 'the fix' and will I need to re-do it? If so, I've quoted the fix I used last time, is this version still compatible with 10.13.6?

Thank you in advance.

I’m happy to say that my MacBook Pro is back up and running thanks to this thread! I used most of the steps in MikeyN’s guide, along with some steps from another guide found on asyncro.com. It took a few tries, but after adjusting a few things for my set up (MBP 15” Early 2011 running Yosemite), everything is working perfectly and I have a fully functioning MacBook Pro (aside, of course, from video out to an external monitor).

Below are the steps I took for Early 2011 15” MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.5:

1. To start from a clean slate: reset SMC and PRAM/NVRAM:

Shutdown, unplug everything except power, now hold:

<leftShift>+<Ctrl>+<Opt>+<Power>

Release at the same time.

2. Now power on again and hold

<Cmd>+<Opt>+<p>+<r>

at the same time until you hear the startup chime two times, then immediately press and hold:

<Cmd>+<r>+<s>

to boot into Recovery Mode. If done correctly, you will boot to a command line (DOS-like) interface.

3. Disable dGPU on boot

type: nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00 (press ‘Enter')

4. Enable Verbose Boot Mode and Reboot:

type: nvram boot-args="-v" (press ‘Enter')

type: reboot (press ‘Enter’), then hold:

<Cmd>+<s>

to reboot into single user mode.

Again, you will reboot to a command line interface.

5. Make root partition writeable:

type: /sbin/mount -uw / (press ‘Enter')

6. Make a kext-backup directory:

type: mkdir -p /System/Library/Extensions-off (press ‘Enter')

7. Only move ONE offending kext out of the way:

type: sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext /System/Library/Extensions-off/ (press ‘Enter')

8. Let the system update its kextcache:

type: sudo kextcache -v 1 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/ (press 'Enter’)

This process may take a few moments to complete. Then:

9. Turn off Verbose Boot Mode and Reboot:

type: nvram boot-args="" (press ‘Enter’)

type: sudo reboot (press ‘Enter’)

You should now be able to boot to the login screen and/or desktop. In my case, I needed to QUICKLY DO THE FOLLOWING STEP to keep my Mac from shutting down:

10. Manually load the dGPU kext (this needs to be done for power management. You are NOT re-enabling the faulty dGPU)

Open the Terminal and type: sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions-off/AMDRadeonX3000.kext (press ‘Enter’)

11. Now follow the rest of MikeyN’s guide:

Automate this with the following LoginHook:

sudo mkdir -p /Library/LoginHook

sudo nano /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh

with the following content:

#!/bin/bash

kextload /System/Library/Extensions-off/AMDRadeonX3000.kext

exit 0

then make it executable and active:

sudo chmod a+x /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh

sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh

Preventive measures for future use

There are two further caveats to know: This is reversible when the SMC/PRAM/NVRAM is reset. If that happens the GPU-power-pref nvram can/has to be set again to force the use of the iGPU from boot-time.

Since this can happen quite easily (and is often erroneously recommended way too many times than it is actually useful), you should probably prepare for such a scenario and create a simple script to greatly speed up the process and also make entering the necessary variable much less error prone:

sudo nano /force-iGPU-boot.sh

– Enter the following content to this file:

#/bin/sh

sudo nvram boot-args="-v"

sudo nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

exit 0

– Now make that executable:

sudo chmod a+x /force-iGPU-boot.sh

In the future, when the SMC/PRAM/NVRAM gets reset to default values it is now possible to boot into SingleUser with:

<Cmd>+<s>

– And after mounting your boot-volume read-write to execute just:

sh /force-iGPU-boot.sh

Last edited:

tomcatrr

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2020
Hey everyone,

I hope someone could share some advice.

I did 'the fix' on my Early 2011 MBP 17" in July 2018 (and also my wife's MBP too), both have been working fine. Since then I've upgraded my phone and to backup it up, I need to update my iTunes to 12.8.3 (currently 12.8.2.3), but to do that I need to update my ios to 10.13.6 (currently 10.12.6).

So my question is, if I update my ios to 10.13.6, is it going to erase all the coding I did for 'the fix' and will I need to re-do it? If so, I've quoted the fix I used last time, is this version still compatible with 10.13.6?

Thank you in advance.
Hi!

If I am not wrong, in one of my 2011 15" , I start with Sierra, go to High Sierra and now in Catalina(DosDude patch).
Just upgrading the OS, like a full working device.

I used for a while, Big Sur in another 2011 15" MBP, with no problems(just running slow, due to the missing battery).
(I do need to make the "nvram" code, since it was a fresh installation).

Buy a new SSD, clone it, and try Catalina or BigSur.
(Do not remember if I lost brightness control in HSierra.)

Last edited:

RoughDivide

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2022
Hey everyone, a few months ago I mentioned (here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ed-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/post-31376908) that after getting a replacement battery for my early 2011 17'' MBP I couldn't shut down the laptop via the menu or it would freeze.

I ran into a new problem a couple days ago. I know for a fact that the AMD GPU was off because it wasn't giving any high temperature readings, however, I stepped aside for a moment, and when I came back (I have it setup so that display goes off after 20 mins) the laptop froze, and wouldn't boot back up unless overheated (which I assume bypasses the AMD GPU on boot).

After that day anytime I try to load AMDRadeonX3000.kext so that the GPU isn't powered on and just eating battery/heating up the laptop High Sierra just crashes. I reapplied the nvram stuff to no avail.

Is there anything I should try and see if helps my case? Upgrade to Movaje through dosdude's patch? In all fairness I only need a few more months out of this mbp before I can travel out and finally upgrade to a newer model.

Nabeeh

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
Hurghada
i created a bootable USB using a mac problem is when i load it on my 2011 mac, it gets stuck at triggering events...
Any idea to why that is?

Nabeeh

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
Hurghada
Think you need to expand to get some useful help.

Q-6
The command i used to create the bootable USB stick after unmounting it
"sudo dd if=/Users/ahmednabeeh/Downloads/archlinux-2023.01.01-x86_64.iso of=/dev/rdisk3 bs=1m"

When it was completed, i got
816+1 records in
816+1 records out
855977984 bytes transferred in 240.038547 secs (3566002 bytes/sec)

correct me if i am wrong here, but i assume that means the bootable USB is created successfully

Then i used the USB on my 2011, pressed Options, selected the drive, then i got these messages:
:: running early hook
Starting system-udevd version 252.4-2 arch
:: running early hook [archiso_pxe_nbd]
:: running hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...

And then nothing, no further messages, i restarted twice and tried creating the USB again but i ended up with the same result stuck at triggering uevents

Queen6

macrumors G4
The command i used to create the bootable USB stick after unmounting it
"sudo dd if=/Users/ahmednabeeh/Downloads/archlinux-2023.01.01-x86_64.iso of=/dev/rdisk3 bs=1m"

When it was completed, i got
816+1 records in
816+1 records out
855977984 bytes transferred in 240.038547 secs (3566002 bytes/sec)

correct me if i am wrong here, but i assume that means the bootable USB is created successfully

Then i used the USB on my 2011, pressed Options, selected the drive, then i got these messages:
:: running early hook
Starting system-udevd version 252.4-2 arch
:: running early hook [archiso_pxe_nbd]
:: running hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...

And then nothing, no further messages, i restarted twice and tried creating the USB again but i ended up with the same result stuck at triggering uevents
What are looking to achieve, disable the 2011's dGPU? If so, a lot is specific to Early or Late 2011 15" and the installed OS.

Triggering uevents you'll likely need to dig into some Linux forums for a solution as a parameter is likely wrong or potentially just a HW limitation.

Q-6

Nabeeh

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
Hurghada
What are looking to achieve, disable the 2011's dGPU? If so, a lot is specific to Early or Late 2011 15" and the installed OS.

Triggering uevents you'll likely need to dig into some Linux forums for a solution as a parameter is likely wrong or potentially just a HW limitation.

Q-6
I am trying to disable the dGPU & force the mac to boot from the Intel GPU as it does not boot normally or in recovery mode because of the defected GPU

I have a 17” MacBook Pro late 2011, but I am not sure what OS it was running as it’s my friend’s not mine

It’s worth mentioning that I ran these three commands in safe mode before trying the bootable USB way

nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00
nvram boot-args="-v"
reboot

Could that be the problem here?

Queen6

macrumors G4
I am trying to disable the dGPU & force the mac to boot from the Intel GPU as it does not boot normally or in recovery mode because of the defected GPU

I have a 17” MacBook Pro late 2011, but I am not sure what OS it was running as it’s my friend’s not mine

It’s worth mentioning that I ran these three commands in safe mode before trying the bootable USB way

nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00
nvram boot-args="-v"
reboot

Could that be the problem here?
First I'd try to reset the nvram to get the machine back to stock configuration, then rerun the comands. IMO the problem is once the damage is done to the dGPU everything gets a lot harder as the Mac by design wont boot.

Generally the nvram command should work. TBH there's no easy answer and will take a lot of digging into this thread of now 121 pages. I own a 2011 15", however mine is unusually resilient with the dGPU remaining active although restrained by SW.

The Late 2011's are more problematic as patching the nvram will likely result in the loss of sleep & brightness control that can only be overcome by a HW mod. Again will depend on the OS, if memory serves Seirra should be ok, past that only way to restore full functionality is to break out the soldering iron.

Q-6

Last edited:

Newfylox

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
Hi guys,

I have a MBP early 2011 with Intel HD Graphics 3000 and a discrete AMD Radeon HD 6750M alongside.

I just installed Ventura 13.2 using OCLP 0.6.1 and I can see both graphic cards in my system info. The only thing is that my computer lags. Moving my arrow using my touchpad is smooth but moving a window or any kind of OS effects is laggy and slow.

So I did run the command below to only use my Intel HD and now it's working better.

But here's my question. How can I use my Radeon graphic card to have better performance? How can I tell my Radeon is "dead" if I did see it before the above command AND that my computer was starting without any issue? Is my Radeon really dead? Is there a driver/else that I can install so that I can revert the above command and start using my Radeon card?

Thanks

Queen6

macrumors G4
Hi guys,

I have a MBP early 2011 with Intel HD Graphics 3000 and a discrete AMD Radeon HD 6750M alongside.

I just installed Ventura 13.2 using OCLP 0.6.1 and I can see both graphic cards in my system info. The only thing is that my computer lags. Moving my arrow using my touchpad is smooth but moving a window or any kind of OS effects is laggy and slow.

So I did run the command below to only use my Intel HD and now it's working better.

But here's my question. How can I use my Radeon graphic card to have better performance? How can I tell my Radeon is "dead" if I did see it before the above command AND that my computer was starting without any issue? Is my Radeon really dead? Is there a driver/else that I can install so that I can revert the above command and start using my Radeon card?

Thanks
If the Radeon dGPU is dead the MBP wont boot or at very least will boot into a black screen. The last thing you should do is force the dGPU to be on unless you want a paperweight. What you should do is the opposite, keep the Radeon dGPU off as much as possible as once the damage is done it's irreversible without cost.

As for Ventura 13.2 your MBP is closing on 12 years old, nor is the OS designed for the HW. My own stock Late 2011 15" is on High Sierra, runs well with no intention to advance the OS...

Q-6

Last edited:

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Hi guys,

Thanks
I have a very similar MBP, late 2011 model 8,2 i7 4 core with an SSD and 16GB of RAM. It runs Big Sur at a reasonable pace, with only a little lag at times. It was very slow with Monterey installed. You can get the Big Sur installer at the Mr. Macintosh site. https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-big-sur-full-installer-database-download-directly-from-apple/
Why not give it a try?

Reactions: Queen6

Newfylox

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciated it.

The reason I upgraded to newer OS that I know is unsupported on my hardware is that I'm a developer and I need Xcode and Simulator (and all related dependencies) to be latest versions.

I know I saw some posts about tweaking info.plist file of those softwares but newly versions didn't work and/or was complicated to make new Simulators working with new tweaked Xcode software.

I can bear using only Intel HD Graphics, but if there is another/better solution, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I can bear using only Intel HD Graphics, but if there is another/better solution, I'm looking forward to trying it.
With the 2011 15" it's not a quality control problem it's a design flaw and the more the Radeon dGPU is pressured the more likely it will fail, then things go downhill fast :(

If developing on the 2011 my advice is to move off it soon as you can as this model can fail with little to no warning. I do think a minority are more robust, equally they are the exception rather than the rule. Think my own 15" falls into that category as it's been hammered over the years in engineering roles, equally I wouldn't trust it in a professional nor have for many a year...

To answer before the question's asked, why I kept it? Simply didn't feel right to pass on such a problematic machine to the uninformed. Yet Ironically it's seen off multiple Retina Mac's....

FWIW, Stock Late 2011 15" on High Seirra. The Radeon dGPU is heavily restricted via SW it remains actively powered up but not engaged. If the dGPU is called for the system will immediately switch back to the Intel iGPU, resultantly the dGPU doesn't have much chance to heat cycle which is what kills the chip.

May have to replace/rebuild the battery pack as it now down to 47% of design capacity. Other than that pretty good value for the money considering it's now 11.3 years of age and been in the family since it was unboxed :)

Q-6

Reactions: dowser

Newfylox

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
With the 2011 15" it's not a quality control problem it's a design flaw and the more the Radeon dGPU is pressured the more likely it will fail, then things go downhill fast :(

If developing on the 2011 my advice is to move off it soon as you can as this model can fail with little to no warning. I do think a minority are more robust, equally they are the exception rather than the rule. Think my own 15" falls into that category as it's been hammered over the years in engineering roles, equally I wouldn't trust it in a professional nor have for many a year...

To answer before the question's asked, why I kept it? Simply didn't feel right to pass on such a problematic machine to the uninformed. Yet Ironically it's seen off multiple Retina Mac's....

FWIW, Stock Late 2011 15" on High Seirra. The Radeon dGPU is heavily restricted via SW it remains actively powered up but not engaged. If the dGPU is called for the system will immediately switch back to the Intel iGPU, resultantly the dGPU doesn't have much chance to heat cycle which is what kills the chip.

May have to replace/rebuild the battery pack as it now down to 47% of design capacity. Other than that pretty good value for the money considering it's now 11.3 years of age and been in the family since it was unboxed :)

Q-6

Again, good reply, it helps to understand better the situation.

One thing though, I'm not sure to understand this
the more the Radeon dGPU is pressured the more likely it will fail

Because right now, running the command I wrote in my previous comments, it's ONLY Intel HD Graphic that is detected and used by Ventura. No sign of AMD by doing this https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...to-switch-gpus-on-2011-15-and-17-macbook-pros and it says that This will disable the dGPU and allow the iGPU to function in Big Sur.

Maybe there's something I have to better understand?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Again, good reply, it helps to understand better the situation.

One thing though, I'm not sure to understand this

Because right now, running the command I wrote in my previous comments, it's ONLY Intel HD Graphic that is detected and used by Ventura. No sign of AMD by doing this https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...to-switch-gpus-on-2011-15-and-17-macbook-pros and it says that This will disable the dGPU and allow the iGPU to function in Big Sur.

Maybe there's something I have to better understand?
Simple the harder you use the Radeon dGPU more likely it will fail. If only utilising the Intel iGPU should be OK, but it's an old notebook by anyone's standards. Basically your not going to get the Radeon dGPU online without risk of failure...

Not trying to be a worry warden, more just to be mindful of the risk. Some of the 2011 15" MBP's will rock on for years on end, yet a great number burnt out their Radeon dGPU in less than 18 months.

TBH I think if you have a heavily used 2011 15" MBP in 2023 it's a survivor you'll likely be good. My 2011 was thrashed in engineering roles, my daughter used it as a PlayStation for a long period, was dumped in a box for two years. SW image took a hell of a lot of cleaning up (time on hands no thx to COVID) Never been clean installed since the factory.

Today it now sits at the end of the desk as our a media server with 12TB external storage strapped to it. Only time it's shutdown is if we move house or If I inspect the battery, effectively up 24/7 it delivers continuously.

For the hard work I have an M1 MBP....

Q-6

Reactions: Newfylox

eristaff

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
A Coruña Spain
Hi, thanks in advance. Begging the journey. Mine is a 15 early 2011 mbp, still don't know if is gpu or other issue. Ive began with Arch linux via, made it with Rufus and the dd option, but, booting chossing "EFI", little dash on first screen and second one with 5 lines, "Triggering uevents" last one, and machine gets stuck on it. Impossible to boot any other way (safe mode), already done usual resets (SMC, NVRAM). Any help? thanks again

dowser

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
Hi there, and thanks not only to the creator of this thread, but to every contributor as well.
If solutions are precious, descriptions of problems can be helpful not to go the wrong path.
But i wonder which one i could walk to reach my goal...
High Sierra is now booting (most of the times...) on my MBP 15" Early 2011. Screen luminosity and keyboard backlight buttons are functional.
I did it the single user waynvram fa4ce...
SIP is disabled through the reboots, AMDRadeon.kext is not loaded at boot.

pmset -g
shows that gpuswitch is set to 0 = iGPU only.

AMDRadeonX3000.kext is in /S/L/Extensions-off and thus not loaded at boot.

But...

I have to load it manually at every session : the LoginHook trick is not doing the job.

sudo mkdir -p /Library/LoginHook sudo nano /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh
and then
#!/bin/bash kextload /Extensions-off/AMDRadeonX3000.kext exit 0
and finally
sudo chmod a+x /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh
I verified the presence of the folder and .sh file.

Nonetheless, the request
sudo kextstat | grep AMD
Returns only 3 kexts.

I can’t see what could be wrong in the process i did.
Help is much welcome...

I’ve been spending days trying to install Mojave w/dosdude patch just to find out kernel-task was plaguing the cpu after an hour or so of OS perfect behaviour, whatsoever.
I’m pretty exhausted after typing all those lines of code again and again...
...on a french azerty keyboard !!!
Hundreds of single user reboots later. I decided i’ll have to rewrite my wishlist...

With that experience i spent only a few hours to have a running 10.13.6, fixed with latest security update.

In the process of this update, i might have done smith wrong, and ended up with an updated kext v 1.68.25 when the orignal discarded one was v 1.68.20.
I have read a great lot of posts, maybe not the 121 pages, but a good many, and coud not see any mention of which version is the right one to load. Does anybody knows if there is some problem with the most recent one?

Sorry for asking 2 questions at once, but believe me... i have a few more i’m restraining from throwing here and now as well.

Merci beaucoup for reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Hi there, and thanks not only to the creator of this thread, but to every contributor as well.
If solutions are precious, descriptions of problems can be helpful not to go the wrong path.
But i wonder which one i could walk to reach my goal...
High Sierra is now booting (most of the times...) on my MBP 15" Early 2011. Screen luminosity and keyboard backlight buttons are functional.
I did it the single user waynvram fa4ce...
SIP is disabled through the reboots, AMDRadeon.kext is not loaded at boot.

pmset -g
shows that gpuswitch is set to 0 = iGPU only.
AMDRadeon.kext is in /S/L/E and thus not loaded at boot.

But...

I have to load it manually at every session : the LoginHook trick is not doing the job.

[B]sudo mkdir -p /Library/LoginHook sudo nano /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh[/B]
and then
[B]#!/bin/bash kextload /Extensions-off/AMDRadeonX3000.kext exit 0[/B]
and finally
sudo chmod a+x /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh
I verified the presence of the folder and .sh file.

Nonetheless, the request
sudo kextstat | grep AMD
Returns only 3 kexts.

I can’t see what could be wrong in the process i did.
Help is much welcome...

I’ve been spending days trying to install Mojave w/dosdude patch just to find out kernel-task was plaguing the cpu after an hour or so of OS perfect behaviour, whatsoever.
I’m pretty exhausted after typing all those lines of code again and again...
...on a french azerty keyboard !!!
Hundreds of single user reboots later. I decided i’ll have to rewrite my wishlist...

With that experience i spent only a few hours to have a running 10.13.6, fixed with latest security update.

In the process of this update, i might have done smith wrong, and ended up with an updated kext v 1.68.25 when the orignal discarded one was v 1.68.20.
I have read a great lot of posts, maybe not the 121 pages, but a good many, and coud not see any mention of which version is the right one to load. Does anybody knows if there is some problem with the most recent one?
Sorry for asking 2 questions at once, but believe me... i have a few more i’m restraining from throwing here and now as well.

Merci beaucoup for reading...
Much will depend if is an Early or Mid 2011 15", if the later is far more complex. My own Mid 2011 15" is still running without issue with the Radeon dGPU still active, yet it's heavily restrained via SW to help with the obvious factor of longevity. That said at closing on 12 years old doubt it owes me much as it's up 24/7 as it's our offline media server, with 12TB strapped to it.

Given yours is an Early 2011 you might be better off to wipe and install OSX Sierra. Not an expert by any means, equally this 2011 15" has been serving media for close to a decade and was absolutely hammered in the work role. Ironically it's seen off all the other Intel Retina's Mac's that were bought to replace it. This one I wont gift or sell as they are very obviously a problem child and needs some additional care...

TBH I need to look back, so give me a day or two as the solutions are very HW/OS specific. Again I'd recommend Sierra as High Sierra will only serve to complicate matters, learnt that the hard way LOL. Too lazy to mess with it and it serves purpose.

Note I'm not disabling the dGPU, I'm limiting it so it never gets to a point where it can damage itself. System is set up to always switch to the Intel iGPU instantaneously. To get everything working on a Mid 2011 15' you'll likely need to perform some brain surgery if you want all features with the dGPU fully disabled. TBH I'm kind of the mind if my 2011 was going to fry it's gGPU it would have done so many years ago as my daughter treated it as a PlayStation.

It runs hot, yet it runs out of power before hitting TDP I just leave to do it's thing as it's a no problem device. It's currently running at 34C which is not bad for a close to a 12 year old stock notebook

Q-6

Last edited:

dowser

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
Thanks a lot Queen6 for your explanations.
I may tell you more about the fixes i applied thanks to the contributors here, and a little bit of searches for any more recent hacks...

First : i don’t feel any overheating touching the case between keyboard and screen (apart during some of the the aborted boots to black or white screen during the process of multi-patching)
Macs Fan Control shows that, when MBP is resting, none of the probe listed is heating above 40-42°C, apart from the RAM temp° which is around 56° when my MBP early 2012 shows 36°.
I don’t know if that has bad repercussion but i don’t see any so far.
I will try another set of RAM, maybe 4GB (2x2) is not enough.
I have 12GB in the MBP2012...

I have built a recovery volume with

I could replace the macOS 10.13.6 AppleGraphicsKext v.3.20.13 with v. 3.18.48, which gave me back the full screen and keyboards lights control with ability to put to sleep thru Apple Menu and by closing the lid (white led remains solid for about 30s then begins to pulsate). That’s here.

Thanks to this .sh script at GitHub, i could get one of the Mojave improvements i would have missed a lot : NightShift*.
But when i manually activated it until the next morning and let the MBP rest, i ended up with the dreaded Kernel_task CPU mayhem.
Yes it stills happens in HS, even though it is rare and always after trying a new "fix".
No way to know if it is related to NS, but i have some clue : after rebooting and unticking all settings in NightShift pane, CPU is and remains nearly idle (when MBP just rests, iStatMenus shows 0 to 1% cpu usage !!!) .
Tonite i’m going to try the automatic setting without ticking the manual bit...

Shutdown and reboot from Apple menu is still a Russian roulette game.
Most of the time the mouse cursor remains on screen forever. So i dropped 2 text clips on my desktop and have a bash window opened to drag them and sudo shutdown -h now or sudo Shutdown -r now when needed.

I’m pretty sure i also replaced the core.brightness framework in S/L/PrivateFrameworks, but i can’t find any trace of finding that new one in my Safari history or tabs, neither could i find the file itself in the MBP’s download folders, nor in the desktop MacMini where i’m also running searches.
I may have mv’d it instead of cp.
Worse : I don’t even remember what made up my mind into to replacing it!!! 😳 🤯
I have a "clean" HS on another disk so i can compare (even though i made no backup 😡... that start to smell like a burnout !!!)
Both are V1.0 but they are not the same size. Still investigating...

As for the LoadX3000.sh, i found another script on GitHub, with a sudo reboot at the end of the script. I don’t think it is necessary and i still don’t see what is blocking the LoginHook.sh...

The illusion is now almost perfect thanks to this Mojave dynamic wallpaper trick.
I will follow your advice and restart the whole process with 10.12 if it goes really wrong.
All in all it seems to me that i managed to get HS running some pretty stealthy way.

To be continued... (?)

*specially with no proper "Dark Mode for HS" hack to be found...

EDIT :
I swap 2x2GB Hynix with 4GB+2GB Samsung RAM.
The RAM probe still reports about 56°C, which is 20° above the rest of them.
The afternoon sun comes in through a large south west window pane, so i enjoy 21° in the room).

I set Macs Fan Control to try to keep it under 50° and never above 62°, i’ll see how fast and long the fans have to spin...

I guess a full scan of the probes would report something ugly somewhere...
A friend has the skills and tool to de-tantalize the board, squeezing out the culprit resistor, so i’m going to swift to the RealMacMods way sooner or later.

Last but not least : i have absolutely no idea what this MBP has been through in the last 12 years.
It was given to a friend by the father of the original owner who had let it sit on a board for years after taking out the hard disk. Battery was swollen to an extent that i suspected some wreckage on the MB. Bringing it back to life, as crippled as it could be, was a big surprise.

It is actually connected to a MBP2010 13" battery. It does not geometrically fit, of course, and the case remains open. So far so good...

EDIT 2 :
Bummer! It was a good surprise to wake the MBP and find out kernel_task was quiet, but...
Appstore found out that some security update 2020-6 was available, a full week after the 2020-5 was applied.
I mv’d back the X3000 kext in the S/L/E .

For the record, and for the few who may accept the fight with one of those antiques, and opt for the 10.13.6 installation, once the store has found and installed the 2020-5, the 2020-6 is still available online there :

Security Update 2020-6 for High Sierra 10.13.6
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2059

Following my mistake of leaving the X3000 in S/L/E-off when i applied the sec-update-2020-5, as i said before, i ended up with a new updated X3000 in S/L/E.
What i forgot to say is that after re-applying the nvram fa4ce.... in single user the MBP booted WITH that new X3000.
Now just for the sake of art, i did let it reboot after applying sec-update-2020-6 WITH that updated X3000 loaded

The MBP rebooted fine but then i mv’d back the X3000 to S/L/E-off, and i hit the reboot loop.

If i try a safe boot i get a white screen after the system load bar has been filled.

I had to boot in single user mode and sh /force-iGPU-boot to set the nvram again into ignoring dGPU.

I wonder whether my mistake could have lead me to find out that the NEW AMDRadeonX3000.kext v1.68.25 is actually compatible with the nvram hack, and does not need to be discarded from S/L/E at boot to be loaded only at login. At least for MBP’s without failed GPU artefacts, which is my case.
Of course it might be a good idea to postpone the loading anyway before the meltdown of the dGPU, to avoid the mess when the sh*t hits the fan.

Last edited:

dowser

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
AMDRadeonX3000.kext is in /S/L/Extensions-off and thus not loaded at boot.
But...
Hurray!
I think i found out why i could only load that kext with a manual sudo.

When i tried to run LoginHook in terminal i get blocked by (lib/kern) privilege, even after reapplying the
chmod a + x
macbook-pro-de-mac:~ macadmin$ sh /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh /System/Library/Extensions-off failed to load - (libkern/kext) not privileged; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8). /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh: line 3: AMDRadeonX3000.kext: command not found macbook-pro-de-mac:~ macadmin$ sudo chmod a+x /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh Password: macbook-pro-de-mac:~ macadmin$ sh /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh /System/Library/Extensions-off failed to load - (libkern/kext) not privileged; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8). /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh: line 3: AMDRadeonX3000.kext: command not found macbook-pro-de-mac:~ macadmin$ sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions-off/AMDRadeonX3000.kext macbook-pro-de-mac:~ macadmin$ kextstat | grep AMD 120 2 0xffffff7f82d07000 0x122000 0x122000 com.apple.kext.AMDLegacySupport (1.6.8) D2F7F5EB-C748-3FB9-992D-CCDC7B5B488D <111 12 11 7 5 4 3 1> 142 0 0xffffff7f835e5000 0x12e000 0x12e000 com.apple.kext.AMD6000Controller (1.6.8) D27B0C3F-73D1-3487-8BB3-94404A6CE6AC <120 111 12 11 5 4 3 1> 156 0 0xffffff7f830b8000 0x22000 0x22000 com.apple.kext.AMDLegacyFramebuffer (1.6.8) 876F7BB3-A167-353B-87B7-5DCFF259C771 <120 111 12 11 7 5 4 3 1> 178 0 0xffffff7f83a60000 0x568000 0x568000 com.apple.kext.AMDRadeonX3000 (1.6.8) DAD82CFD-3B63-3989-BCD8-0624DF2DF642 <177 155 111 12 7 5 4 3 1> macbook-pro-de-mac:~ macadmin$

I verified if the LoadX3000.sh has root:wheel and -rwxr-xr-x privileges.
With
ls -la /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh
And it was actually myadminusername:staff.
So i did
sudo chown root:wheel /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh sudo chmod 755 /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh
I guess the chmod was not necessary after the [a + x] that already gave execution rights to every existing user.

The kext was not loaded at the first reboot but it was at the second one.
The third was bugged at login screen*, the fourth was OK again after a force-shutdown.

While i was running the MBP WITHOUT the X3000 loaded (investigating, but working on the side on another machine), wake after sleep did twice end up with a black screen. I will see if loading the kext after boot is the remedy to that bug. (EDIT/UPDATE / IT IS !!!)

One of the remaining troubles is documented all through this thread :
no proper shutdown or restart without root privileges, so im going to take another dive in the maze to see if i missed something. Fanciest solution i found so far is the creation of two scripts to be sticked to the dock, after choosing some suitable icons.

*The more i fix, the more i have to consider that my real problem may be off topic.
The kernel_task plague still seems to be still lurking.
Sometimes it happens directly when i reach the login page.
Since i loaded the kext manually i thought that all was fine, OS was snappy even after a night of hibernation.
If i just need to double boot once in a while, fair enough !

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.