Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Keyboard Lights get broken on every MB/P that I have installed on after installing the the "Post Install Patches". Prior to no problems. But on an 8,2 would love to try it with the patches.

I've just stopped. And am going to take a break and not do anything for a while . . .

Queen6

macrumors G4
Keyboard Lights get broken on every MB/P that I have installed on after installing the the "Post Install Patches". Prior to no problems. But on an 8,2 would love to try it with the patches.

I've just stopped. And am going to take a break and not do anything for a while . . .
MBP 8.2 is more complex to deal with and I believe requires HW mods to regain full functionality. My own MBP 8.2 on High Sierra it's dGPU is heavily restricted by SW, yet is still engaged and seen in the system. I'm of the opinion now, if the dGPU was going to fail it would have done so years ago when being pushed to it's limits on a more than frequent basis.
Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 06.42.15.png

MBP 8.1 should be able to disable the dGPU via NVRAM and retain KB lighting & sleep. As always OS revision is a big factor. After 12 years I just use it as needs be, mostly as a media server. Push it hard from time to time and dont worry about it. At this age anything could let go anytime, or it could continue on for another 12 years?

Q-6

tomcatrr

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2020

Captura de ecrã 2023-11-24, às 17.27.52.png
2011 Macbook Pro 15"
Works keyboard and lcd light brightness!!

Now the "fun".
This MBP don´t work hibernation in macOS or Manjaro.
The fun is, I repair another 2011 15" MBP and the pause/hibernation works 100%.
He have 8 GB 1333Mhz of Ram.
Could be 1333 vs 1600 Mhz the hibernation fail?
(The true is in my case I can hear the 3 beeps, after suspend).

Reactions: Queen6

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
I'm finding that the 8,1-3 series is a curious lot. And the first series to have three iterations. Which goes with a design jump.

I just rolled back my 7,1 to 0.6.8 hoping to get it a little more solid. Haven't been there for long so I'm not sure what gonna happen. Plus, 0.6.8 to 1.0.0 is quite a jump itself . . .

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
View attachment 2316329
2011 Macbook Pro 15"
Works keyboard and lcd light brightness!!

Now the "fun".
This MBP don´t work hibernation in macOS or Manjaro.
The fun is, I repair another 2011 15" MBP and the pause/hibernation works 100%.
He have 8 GB 1333Mhz of Ram.
Could be 1333 vs 1600 Mhz the hibernation fail?
(The true is in my case I can hear the 3 beeps, after suspend).
Which version of OCLP?

tomcatrr

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2020
Which version of OCLP?
About what?

I start using OCLP, since there is no need for "terminal commands" and you have GUI interface.
But before OCLP , I use HS and Catalina with Dosdude patch.
And keyboard and LCD brightness working

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
About what?

I start using OCLP, since there is no need for "terminal commands" and you have GUI interface.
But before OCLP , I use HS and Catalina with Dosdude patch.
And keyboard and LCD brightness working
Don´t understand your answer, sir.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Sadly end of an era approaches :( My 2011 15' MBP no longer recognises any external audio and being a media server pretty much kills it's use in this role :( Going to refresh the OS outside of that not looking good. External audio just dropped off and successive reboots only report the internal speakers :(

Likely the 2011 MBP will be replaced by a ThinkPad with a dGPU. Little too early to make the call, equally not wanting to spend my life messing with such matters. If the OS refresh results in the same behavior it's done and time to be recycled...:( unless I can find another use for it...

ThinkPad I'll just wipe and refresh Windows 10 and we'll be back online as it should pick up the disk array and same as the old Mac will be offline 99% of the time. Either that or Linux as battery run time is not a consideration in this role...

Last edited:

nisulid

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
Hello, I ended up in this thread because I was sure that my problem was on the dGPU. Tried the simple Mac proceedings, but didn't work out for me. I started reading the thread, tried some searching, but when I saw it was like 123 pages, I kind got anxiety and went forward with instructions.

Symptoms before trying were similar to what was described in first post: image with stripes, not booting into the system. When I got the MBP the battery was stuffed, so I took it out. Tried all the basic procedures with no success, without the battery.
- Apple diagnostics tested negative.
- Reset SMC doesn't even flicker the light. Tried both removable battery and non-removable battery techniques.
- Reset NVRAM seems odd - too long between restarts
- Wouldn't boot to safe mode.
- Recovery would boot up to selecting the wifi network, but blank screen after that
- Recovery with ALT would boot to selection boot volume, blank after that or after apple logo/progress bar
- USB Bootable Installer would boot to selection of volume, blank after that or after apple logo/progress bar

Odd things:
- I pluged an SSD from another MBP (7,1 2010 with Sonoma and OCLP), and it booted a couple of times. When booted, it recognized a 23inch screen.
- The apearance os the screen/display was absolutely normal at the times of these boots.
- Image with stripes is intermittent. Sometimes image seems fine.
- Tryed all the proceedings with external display, sometimes the faulty image would be on the MacBooks display, sometimes at the external display.
- Before startup, frontal led blinks 5 times.
- Mechanic noises upon startup seem more evident.

It is now with an internal HDD with High Sierra installed as external HDD on an Imac.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a little off topic or the answer is in the thread and I couldn't find via search.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.