Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmj102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Canada
Is there a way to stop this if I want to stay with an iOS update that I am happy with. I had auto update off and I noticed that my iPad 4 and iPhone 4 already had downloaded the last update iOS 7.1.1 without my permission.

Obviously, this will happen when iOS 8 comes out. It's not an issue with my iPad 4 since it's 32gig, but my iPhone 4 is 8gig (yes, I know...no need to laugh...I was an Apple newbie early last year) and that's more of an issue.

Here is a link that discusses this. This upsets me that Apple can get away with this. I want a choice with which iOS I want to stay with for whatever reason.

http://www.cnet.com/news/ios-6-holdouts-complain-about-large-unwanted-ios-7-download/

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
You want to stay on a security vulnerability riddled deprecated version?

Apple devices aren't for you. Go get Android.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Old news, apple downloads the update and you want to update it then do so. If not then you can ignore it. Many people on iOS6 are not liking it because its a full OS update not just a patch.

As the other poster mentioned, if you don't like apple's approach then the only other option is to go to a different platform

dmj102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Canada
Too late now, I'm heavily invested with Apple products. I moved from Windows and Android last year to the entire Apple ecosystem. Cost me lots of $$$.

I don't keep sensitive data on my iPhone.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
The update is NOT forced on your phone. It is simply downloaded but not installed. You can simply ignore it and keep using the old version. My iPhone 5 is still on 7.0.4 since it is jail broken.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The update is NOT forced on your phone. It is simply downloaded but not installed. You can simply ignore it and keep using the old version. My iPhone 5 is still on 7.0.4 since it is jail broken.

It may not be forced but it is consuming resources. The patch being a delta is not huge, but as I mentioned, the folks who prefer to stick with iOS6, the space is significant.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Old news, apple downloads the update and you want to update it then do so. If not then you can ignore it. Many people on iOS6 are not liking it because its a full OS update not just a patch.

As the other poster mentioned, if you don't like apple's approach then the only other option is to go to a different platform

iphone 4 and ipad 4 so no indicator back then for this type of behavior by apple. and as they treat ios7. updates differently this obviously isnt apples typical approach and rather just ostracizing a particular version of phone and ios.

he never said the installation was forced. when half of an 8 gig device is taken up by the update its lunacy to suggest one to simply ignore it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I believe at least since iOS 7.1 Apple is allowing users to delete the automatically downloaded update (not sure if it would try to automatically download it again after that, but hopefully not). Doesn't help much those who are on a version below that, but at least it seems like Apple started doing something about it (at least more than before).

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Go to Settings > Usage and delete the downloaded data. (If you have 7.1 and don't want 7.1.1 that is)

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
And yet it would still be something that would needlessly take up to 3 GB or so of
space without your permission or control.

Truthfully, I'm not sure how much space Apple is taking up on my iPhone or iPad. They are supposed to have 64 GB and 128 GB. That isn't what I see as available even after a fresh restore. So they could be using any amount.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Truthfully, I'm not sure how much space Apple is taking up on my iPhone or iPad. They are supposed to have 64 GB and 128 GB. That isn't what I see as available even after a fresh restore. So they could be using any amount.

There is always space taken up just by the operating system itself. That's why you don't see the "full capacity" even after a restore.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Too late now, I'm heavily invested with Apple products. I moved from Windows and Android last year to the entire Apple ecosystem. Cost me lots of $$$.

Fortunately, you can sell that stuff for $$$. Definitely not what you paid for it, but a good amount of it.

A lot of people think this is true, but the fact that you can even make calls, use cellular data and potentially rack up chargers doing those things, makes your phone inherently sensitive.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

So you never log into any websites or apps that require a login?

You don't use any of the built-in apps like Mail or Calendar or Facetime?

You don't use any apps that use the push mechanism?

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Apple can get away with whatever they want. No matter how many people they upset, they are always people that will buy the product.

Handful of niche enthusiasts vs common consumer is radically different. Catering to that upset 5% instead of pleasing the blissfully ignorant 95% would be revenue suicide.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's good that you don't care about it, but it doesn't mean the the problem isn't there or that ignoring it (by perhaps having more capacity, which might still not work out for some people who would have a lot of things on their device themselves) is an actual realistic viable solution.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Handful of niche enthusiasts vs common consumer is radically different. Catering to that upset 5% instead of pleasing the blissfully ignorant 95% would be revenue suicide.
Not sure what catering to anyone has to do here as far as providing an ability to at least remove an unnecessary download on your own device, which Apple seemingly finally even started providing as of iOS 7.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.