Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmj102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Canada
Thanks for the feedback. BTW, I had updated to iOS 7.1.1 weeks ago so let's drop why I should update to the newest firmware or else the sky will fall....... because the pro/cons of updates isn't the point of my OP. Besides, I only updated because I hoped some of the UI was a less white and minimalist. Enough said. I need to consider that I have an older iPhone and I want to keep it in working order and it still works great for my needs.

What my issue is the forced downloads to my iPhone 4 when I didn't authorize it. I was under the false impression for months that since I had automatic downloads turned off, that was good enough, but it isn't.

I'm concerned with iOS 8 when it comes out, which is soon, and I wanted to prepare. I can't just ignore the update because it will be downloaded anyway and use up space. Like I said, with my iPad 4, that isn't an issue. It's my iPhone 4 that has 8 gig storage and it's still attached to a contract for another year so I'd like to keep using it. What I don't like is having my iPhone overrun by Apple because they think it's good for me. I can make my own decision when I want to download updates.

So it appears I will be able to delete the next update (probably be 8.0) that's downloaded....under Settings and then delete downloads. I will try that. But it seems there is no guarantee that I will need to keep deleting it after charging each time because that's when the downloads usually happen. If that's true, then that's nuts. I mentioned this issue to some friends and they didn't know about Apple automatically downloading updates to their devices.

I don't think many people know about this or probably don't care because they have lots of space left over. Probably most are clueless. When you look at a new update (if it's already downloaded) it will say "install update" or something like that. Most think (I originally thought that) that means they agreed to the download, but that's not the case.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
I am running my 5 on 7.0.4 for jailbreak reason and I did not get all the other updates since downloaded to my phone. I simply did not check the software update menu in the settings section.

I don't know how people are getting these updates downloaded to their phones without searching for the update in the settings section.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. BTW, I had updated to iOS 7.1.1 weeks ago so let's drop why I should update to the newest firmware or else the sky will fall....... because the pro/cons of updates isn't the point of my OP. Besides, I only updated because I hoped some of the UI was a less white and minimalist. Enough said. I need to consider that I have an older iPhone and I want to keep it in working order and it still works great for my needs.

What my issue is the forced downloads to my iPhone 4 when I didn't authorize it. I was under the false impression for months that since I had automatic downloads turned off, that was good enough, but it isn't.

I'm concerned with iOS 8 when it comes out, which is soon, and I wanted to prepare. I can't just ignore the update because it will be downloaded anyway and use up space. Like I said, with my iPad 4, that isn't an issue. It's my iPhone 4 that has 8 gig storage and it's still attached to a contract for another year so I'd like to keep using it. What I don't like is having my iPhone overrun by Apple because they think it's good for me. I can make my own decision when I want to download updates.

So it appears I will be able to delete the next update (probably be 8.0) that's downloaded....under Settings and then delete downloads. I will try that. But it seems there is no guarantee that I will need to keep deleting it after charging each time because that's when the downloads usually happen. If that's true, then that's nuts. I mentioned this issue to some friends and they didn't know about Apple automatically downloading updates to their devices.

I don't think many people know about this or probably don't care because they have lots of space left over. Probably most are clueless. When you look at a new update (if it's already downloaded) it will say "install update" or something like that. Most think (I originally thought that) that means they agreed to the download, but that's not the case.

iOS 7.1 may actually be the last version of iOS for the iPhone 4, so it shouldn't be a problem for you. I don't know why you would want to keep 7 either way.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
A dedicated storage chip (or partition) purely for the OS and updates would be really handy. Saves users having to manage their storage space for OS things because the user shouldn't have to think about freeing up space for an OS update! The user should only have to manage storage for their stuff (apps, music, video etc), not OS files.

Storage is really cheap and Apple should stop riding the profit margins so much and offer a more elegant solution to OS updates.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
You can delete automatically downloaded iOS updates from within Settings. This is a new feature, you weren't able to delete pending updates before 7.1.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am running my 5 on 7.0.4 for jailbreak reason and I did not get all the other updates since downloaded to my phone. I simply did not check the software update menu in the settings section.

I don't know how people are getting these updates downloaded to their phones without searching for the update in the settings section.
Maybe it's the jailbreak or something related to it, maybe it's something else in your case, but it's a known "feature" that Apple will download an available update, although only during the time when the phone is connected to WiFi and is plugged in into a power source of some sort.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
I keep my iPhone filled with movies and music so there is never enough space that the iOS 7 update is downloaded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.