Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ollé

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
Australia
Thought I'd blow out some of the cobwebs around here.

I was recently lucky enough to turn 30 and as a result was gifted a Mont Blanc Starwalker fountain pen .

Must say it's much nicer than my Lamy Safari that I've been using for the last couple of years. So nice to stop lusting after mum and dad's Meisterstucks.

I have a feeling this is going to develop into another expensive hobby of mine.

Here's a generic internet photo to satisfy for now until I get my own uploaded from Flickr

iyRr9DhDlXyUc_T5zYFjBIGt1wqZw7vSnSAecMSnBtSgi5t7aUDMFFOA0Xw3FxUqARZjtZW6JBQdbq58t70NB6SSWDw5gLy6nM27vzCxtj1mkQbrW6A6GODkkYw=w429-h343-nc

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thought I'd blow out some of the cobwebs around here.

I was recently lucky enough to turn 30 and as a result was gifted a Mont Blanc Starwalker fountain pen .

Must say it's much nicer than my Lamy Safari that I've been using for the last couple of years. So nice to stop lusting after mum and dad's Meisterstucks.

I have a feeling this is going to develop into another expensive hobby of mine.

Here's a generic internet photo to satisfy for now until I get my own uploaded from Flickr

iyRr9DhDlXyUc_T5zYFjBIGt1wqZw7vSnSAecMSnBtSgi5t7aUDMFFOA0Xw3FxUqARZjtZW6JBQdbq58t70NB6SSWDw5gLy6nM27vzCxtj1mkQbrW6A6GODkkYw=w429-h343-nc

What a lovely gift; do enjoy it, and, above all, do use it, regularly.

Fr my part, I have a few Meisterstucks - I write with nothing else - nice, small, black ones, - two fountain pens - and they are used daily (and extensively) when I take minutes or write reports.

Last edited:

Ollé

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
Australia
What a lovely gift; do enjoy it, and, above all, do use it, regularly.

Fr my part, I have a few Meisterstucks - I write with nothing else - nice, small, black ones, - two fountain pens - and they are used daily (and extensively) when I take minutes or write reports.

I'm planning for this to be my daily, Especially now that I'm transitioning back to a role that requires more note taking and written thought.

Can't wait. I must also admit that I'm fairly smitten by the Meisterstuck ultra black model that is floating around at the moment.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm planning for this to be my daily, Especially now that I'm transitioning back to a role that requires more note taking and written thought.

Can't wait. I must also admit that I'm fairly smitten by the Meisterstuck ultra black model that is floating around at the moment.

Love the Meisterstuck; when writing with it, it is almost like an extension of my hand.

Haven't seen the 'ultra black' model you describe; mine is the 'classic'.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
So about a year ago, I went to the Atlanta Pen show, and I bought my first fountain pen--a TWISBI Eco. For ink, I picked up, I believe, some Montverde ink. I like the pen, but I'm not a fan of the ink. I'm guess I'm just used to the gel inks that dry fast and don't bleed.

Is there a different ink that I can use that will have the same properties as a gel pen. (FYI, when I say "gel pen" I'm talking about something like the Pilot G2).

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Sorry to bump the thread, but had to share my latest purchase...

mJnPtFM.jpg
VnYI61v.jpg

Isn't it beautiful?!

Here it is next to my second-favourite writing instrument...

ZTig8iq.jpg

That pen looks lovely. I have an Apple pen but don’t use it much. I have to keep pushing myself to use it. Which application do you use?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
It's a wonderful Pelikan M400 Tortoise!
Enjoy it!

It is indeed - a treat to myself before my exams in a few weeks time. It's wonderful!

That pen looks lovely. I have an Apple pen but don’t use it much. I have to keep pushing myself to use it. Which application do you use?

I use it for annotating lecture slides in Notability, converting handwriting to LaTeX in MathPad and editing photos in Affinity Photo. I probably don't use it quite as much as I thought, but it's still very useful.
[doublepost=1525894663][/doublepost]
So about a year ago, I went to the Atlanta Pen show, and I bought my first fountain pen--a TWISBI Eco. For ink, I picked up, I believe, some Montverde ink. I like the pen, but I'm not a fan of the ink. I'm guess I'm just used to the gel inks that dry fast and don't bleed.

Is there a different ink that I can use that will have the same properties as a gel pen. (FYI, when I say "gel pen" I'm talking about something like the Pilot G2).
Are you in the States? I'd recommend looking at Noodler's X-feather inks, which don't feather or bleed on most paper.

For quick drying, apparently Noodler's Bernanke inks are good - humourously named after Ben Bernanke, former chairmen of the Fed, whose quantitive easing policies probably meant he needed quick drying ink for printing all the money...

Reactions: AVBeatMan

Rendergroup

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
Perú (South America)
@jdechko Hello,
I suggest you to try Pilot Blue or Blue-black, they dry very fast and you can purchase in ebay at very reasonable price.
Another good pick would be Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black but you have to purchase in Europe (onine stores), that ink works very nice (dries ultra fast and doesn't smear).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
(Also posted in the recent purchases thread, if this isn't allowed, mods please delete)
Grabbed some new ink today -
tofee1.jpg

tofee21.jpg

Mont Blanc Toffee Brown - I'm hoping that it takes the boredom out of my notetaking by adding just a touch of warmth.​

Wow.

What does that look like on the written page?

I use Mont Blanc pens (and ink) myself, but I tend to confine myself to black, blueback (midnight navy) and royal blue.

Reactions: arkitect

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Mont Blanc Toffee Brown - I'm hoping that it takes the boredom out of my notetaking by adding just a touch of warmth.​
That looks yummy.
Wow.

I use Mont Blanc pens (and ink) myself, but I tend to confine myself to black, blueback (midnight navy) and royal blue.
Yes, seconded. A photo of the ink on the page would be nice.

Myself I am very partial to brown inks, also greens…
As in my wardrobe I have eliminated all black.

I tend to stick to Diamine and J. Herbin

Lately I have been trying my hand at steel nibs. It takes quite a bit of practice. Not aiming for calligraphy — just my natural handwriting. Not yet good enough to write a letter — never mind War and Peace! (How did they write those reams and reams of correspondence?)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That looks yummy.

Yes, seconded. A photo of the ink on the page would be nice.

Myself I am very partial to brown inks, also greens…
As in my wardrobe I have eliminated all black.

I tend to stick to Diamine and J. Herbin

Lately I have been trying my hand at steel nibs. It takes quite a bit of practice. Not aiming for calligraphy — just my natural handwriting. Not yet good enough to write a letter — never mind War and Peace! (How did they write those reams and reams of correspondence?)

Oddly enough, a good pen - one that feel like an extension of your hand - will allow you to write for ages.

I write with a small, black, Mont Blanc Meisterstuck (the 144, which is no longer made, alas) which is so well balanced in my hand that it feels like an extension of my hand. With this, I can write for ages, making notes, taking minutes, writing reports (notes for myself prior to writing a report), and for briefing notes.

When I am giving a briefing, my notes are always hand-written.

The Mont Blanc is the first pen I have ever had that doesn't tire me out when I write with it, although some of the larger models are monsters, too large and heavy (my hands are small) to write with comfortably.

When one of my two pens needed to be repaired a few years ago (the black casing split) another pen was cannibalised to repair it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Wow.

I just received some "Mystery" black this week. Can't really tell the difference from the regular black....

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Oddly enough, a good pen - one that feel like an extension of your hand - will allow you to write for ages.
Yes, I can also write pages and pages with a decent modern fountain pen… ;)
I still have a callous on my index finger — a left over from school and university.

I was curious about using a steel nib and dipping ink… the scratchy-ness, the endless blots and running out of ink… how did they just go on and on. 20,000+ letters by Voltaire not counting his books.
Never mind a feather quill!

Those things are not very comfortable. But then again, if that's all one had, you made do.
And stamina I guess… and also, something worthwhile to say.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I just received some "Mystery" black this week. Can't really tell the difference from the regular black....

What is "Mystery" black, then?
[doublepost=1531996662][/doublepost]
Yes, I can also write pages and pages with a decent modern fountain pen… ;)
I still have a callous on my index finger — a left over from school and university.

I was curious about using a steel nib and dipping ink… the scratchy-ness, the endless blots and running out of ink… how did they just go on and on. 20,000+ letters by Voltaire not counting his books.
Never mind a feather quill!

Those things are not very comfortable. But then again, if that's all one had, you made do.
And stamina I guess… and also, something worthwhile to say.

I used an ink bottle (carried in my briefcase) when I was at university (I've written with fountain pens since my last year in secondary school), but have come to prefer cartridges for their convenience, and for the fact that accidents are less lily to occur.

Mont Blanc pens and Mont Blanc cartridges (I always have a few boxes in every briefcase) work well for me.

Ollé

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
Australia
Wow.

I, too, would normally use royal blue as it’s quite a nice blue fro work and play, however I thought I’d try something different this time.

Here’s a quick sample on Rhodia No18 lined paper at 90gsm (41lb).
EfxCvE8.jpg

[doublepost=1532000134][/doublepost]
I write with a small, black, Mont Blanc Meisterstuck (the 144, which is no longer made, alas) which is so well balanced in my hand that it feels like an extension of my hand. With this, I can write for ages, making notes, taking minutes, writing reports (notes for myself prior to writing a report), and for briefing notes...

Beautiful pen, my mother has a Bordeaux 144 and whilst I find it too thin for my liking, it’s a thing of beauty.

My next purchase will be a Le Grande Meisterstück of some description.

Oh, did I mention that this is available in cartridges too.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I, too, would normally use royal blue as it’s quite a nice blue fro work and play, however I thought I’d try something different this time.

Here’s a quick sample on Rhodia No18 lined paper at 90gsm (41lb).
EfxCvE8.jpg

[doublepost=1532000134][/doublepost]

Beautiful pen, my mother has a Bordeaux 144 and whilst I find it too thin for my liking, it’s a thing of beauty.

My next purchase will be a Le Grande Meisterstück of some description.

Oh, did I mention that this is available in cartridges too.

Yes, it is.

Actually, it is easily the most comfortable pen - and easiest to write with - that I have ever had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.