Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ollé

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
Australia
That means you can use a Dupont cartridge in a Mont Blanc pen pretty easily. The full size cartridges take up the full length of the pen barrel. The half size cartridges can often be sorted back-to-back, meaning your pen has a onboard refill if your working cartridge runs out of ink.

I was under the impression that Mont Blanc used a proprietary cartridge system that doesn't play well with other kinds.

Personally, I like the half cartridges as you always have a backup in the pen and I always carry an extra pack in my folio to make sure that I'm never out of ink.
[doublepost=1546147573][/doublepost]
I have a Lamy 2000 EF that I use occasionally, and I do like it. Wonderful pen. Lamy seems to me to be very precisely engineered in ways that I think of other pens as well crafted, if that makes sense. There's something terrifically utilitarian about it in the way that form follows function for Lamy. Not that they're not well designed or handsome pens (they certainly are).

Lamy are a bit like German cars in their clinicality, I've found. They're excellent at what they do, but sometimes they lack that connection either to the road, or in this case the paper and the overall 'feel' of the experience. But, that being said, Lamy make great cheap, daily use fountain pens that are a good gateway to the fountain pen rabbit hole.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was under the impression that Mont Blanc used a proprietary cartridge system that doesn't play well with other kinds.

Yes, Mont Blanc do use (and manufacture) proprietary cartridges.

Most fountain pens are adapted so that they can use some of the well known proprietary cartridges, as many brands do not manufacture their own proprietary cartridges.

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
Lamy are a bit like German cars in their clinicality, I've found. They're excellent at what they do, but sometimes they lack that connection either to the road, or in this case the paper and the overall 'feel' of the experience. But, that being said, Lamy make great cheap, daily use fountain pens that are a good gateway to the fountain pen rabbit hole.

That's been my experience with the German brands. I know many love them, but I've found I tend to enjoy Italian (Visconti, Pineider) and Japanese (Pilot, Sailor) more.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Thank you everyone for your comments and advice.

I drove to my local Office Depot store and picked up a Cross medium nib pen.

It was the only brand they carried and it was the only place nearby that sells fountain pens. Since Cross seems to be a respected brand here among you and a few websites I've been looking at I felt comfortable buying it for $50.

I assembled it in quick and easy fashion, after reading the simple instructions. I wanted to be sure I did it correctly so that a) I didn't break anything and b) I didn't get ink all over the place.

Then I grabbed one of my journals that was close at hand and began to write in it. I wrote for two pages and only spoke about the pen itself as I began to feel and experience it. I plainly wrote comments about it and of other pens I've always used.

The first thing that struck me, even with the very first letter, was how smooth it felt. It certainly didn't feel like I was scratching my marks down as it sort of does with the gel ink pen I have been recently using. It also didn't feel like I was engraving my words as with a typical ball point pen would have me feel. No, it felt as if the pen was gently sailing across a calm and serene lake at dawn before the wind picked up. It was exceedingly smooth as the nib caressed its way across the page leaving a wake of delicately laid ink behind it.

While this is no $800 to $1000 pen, it is a step up by an order of magnitude from all of the other writing instruments I've ever used. I suspect, however, that those exceedingly expensive pens cost that much possibly for the gold that they emblazon then for much else. I'm sure there are other functional quality aspects of them that would be better then this $50 pen, but I think this is a nice start for a beginner like myself.

Of note on this particular pen that displeases me, and that it is truly of little concern, is that the cap doesn't stay securely fastened to barrel as I am writing. A little movement of the pen across my hand breaks the pressure fit loose ever so slightly and allows it to spin or loosely readjust itself. I'm not really worried about that and if that's all I have to complain about then I think I'm doing quite well.

The other thing I am already thinking about it trying a fine nib pen because I almost think the boldness of the medium nib ink on the page may be less to my liking. That's not a complaint, but more of a preference. With that being said starting with a medium nib is sound advice and one that I would recommend to anyone for nearly anything that came in fine, medium, large, tall, small sizes or styles. Medium is just that, medium and good position to begin from.

The next pen I may acquire will likely have to come from an online purchase. As I mentioned, the local store only carried Cross and their selection was rather limited in its scope.

IMG_8622.jpg

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
If anyone is interested, I have a mint Parker Premier monochrome black fountain pen just listed on the Marketplace forum on here. I love it but don't need so many pens! Happy with my Visconti Rembrandt, Parker Sonnet, Pelikan M400 and TWSBI 580.

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
If anyone is interested, I have a mint Parker Premier monochrome black fountain pen just listed on the Marketplace forum on here. I love it but don't need so many pens! Happy with my Visconti Rembrandt, Parker Sonnet, Pelikan M400 and TWSBI 580.

I honestly didn't even know there exists a marketplace until your post. Looks like I'm way shy of accessing, but I'm taking it as a sign that I, too, don't need so many pens. Good luck selling it!

Reactions: cambookpro

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thank you everyone for your comments and advice.

I drove to my local Office Depot store and picked up a Cross medium nib pen.

It was the only brand they carried and it was the only place nearby that sells fountain pens. Since Cross seems to be a respected brand here among you and a few websites I've been looking at I felt comfortable buying it for $50.

I assembled it in quick and easy fashion, after reading the simple instructions. I wanted to be sure I did it correctly so that a) I didn't break anything and b) I didn't get ink all over the place.

Then I grabbed one of my journals that was close at hand and began to write in it. I wrote for two pages and only spoke about the pen itself as I began to feel and experience it. I plainly wrote comments about it and of other pens I've always used.

The first thing that struck me, even with the very first letter, was how smooth it felt. It certainly didn't feel like I was scratching my marks down as it sort of does with the gel ink pen I have been recently using. It also didn't feel like I was engraving my words as with a typical ball point pen would have me feel. No, it felt as if the pen was gently sailing across a calm and serene lake at dawn before the wind picked up. It was exceedingly smooth as the nib caressed its way across the page leaving a wake of delicately laid ink behind it.

While this is no $800 to $1000 pen, it is a step up by an order of magnitude from all of the other writing instruments I've ever used. I suspect, however, that those exceedingly expensive pens cost that much possibly for the gold that they emblazon then for much else. I'm sure there are other functional quality aspects of them that would be better then this $50 pen, but I think this is a nice start for a beginner like myself.

Of note on this particular pen that displeases me, and that it is truly of little concern, is that the cap doesn't stay securely fastened to barrel as I am writing. A little movement of the pen across my hand breaks the pressure fit loose ever so slightly and allows it to spin or loosely readjust itself. I'm not really worried about that and if that's all I have to complain about then I think I'm doing quite well.

The other thing I am already thinking about it trying a fine nib pen because I almost think the boldness of the medium nib ink on the page may be less to my liking. That's not a complaint, but more of a preference. With that being said starting with a medium nib is sound advice and one that I would recommend to anyone for nearly anything that came in fine, medium, large, tall, small sizes or styles. Medium is just that, medium and good position to begin from.

The next pen I may acquire will likely have to come from an online purchase. As I mentioned, the local store only carried Cross and their selection was rather limited in its scope.

View attachment 813327

Good luck with your Cross pen; I have always liked Cross, they are well made pens, and aren't the bloated monstrosities that some pen manufacturers produce.

Some pen manufacturers do go overboard with bling bling and glitter (and gold), but, in my experience, the extra cost comes through in the balance of the pen in your hand.

When I write with my Mont Blanc Meisterstuck (their classic pen), it is as though the pen is an extension of my hand and wrist, the motion is so smooth and the balance and heft so effortless; I don't feel that I am pushing the pen - rather, it glides, when I write with it.

And, an aside: I tend to share your preference for finer nibs.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
We shall see soon enough. I ordered nearly the same Cross pen from Amazon only with a fine nib. It should arrive Friday and I will give it a go and see if I like it more than a medium nib.

The other thing to note when you are writing with fountain pens is the quality of the paper; with poor quality paper the ink tends to 'bleed' or 'feather'; very frustrating.

These days, I tend to buy expensive writing paper (which lasts a long time); I used to buy Moleskine - but have found (alas and alack) that the quality of their paper has deteriorated (quite considerably) in recent years.

Thus, these days, I mostly buy Leuchtturm1917 (a German brand, which I find excellent).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The other thing to note when you are writing with fountain pens is the quality of the paper; with poor quality paper the ink tends to 'bleed' or 'feather'; very frustrating.

These days, I tend to buy expensive writing paper (which lasts a long time); I used to buy Moleskine - but have found (alas and alack) that the quality of their paper has deteriorated (quite considerably) in recent years.

Thus, these days, I mostly buy Leuchtturm1917 (a German brand, which I find excellent).
Thank you for the recommendations.

Right now I have a medium sized leather journal which I picked up randomly at the local department store. It is of decent quality however, with a nice soft leather and the paper is nice as well. I haven't detected any bleeding or feathering when writing on it with the fountain pen or the gel-ink pen either.

I will look up these other brands as well and maybe I'll find something I like there, too.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thank you for the recommendations.

Right now I have a medium sized leather journal which I picked up randomly at the local department store. It is of decent quality however, with a nice soft leather and the paper is nice as well. I haven't detected any bleeding or feathering when writing on it with the fountain pen or the gel-ink pen either.

I will look up these other brands as well and maybe I'll find something I like there, too.

Our mutual friend, the shrink, in the past, has recommended some of the products from Colonel Littleton; I have found his paper products - such as his journals - to be excellent, when used with a fountain pen - the paper holds the ink superbly. (Speaking - or, rather, writing - from personal experience).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Our mutual friend, the shrink, in the past, has recommended some of the products from Colonel Littleton; I have found his paper products - such as his journals - to be excellent, when used with a fountain pen - the paper holds the ink superbly. (Speaking - or, rather, writing - from personal experience).
Indeed, Shrink is a man of excellent taste, just as you are. He suggested I get a
Montblanc Meisterstück Resin Le Grand, however that's more than I wanted to spend on a first purchase with no experience. Perhaps one day I'll get one.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US

I'd add that a good writing experience generally depends on three elements: the nib, the ink, and the paper.

It's generally easiest to experiment with inks and papers. I'm a big fan of Sailor's Jentle and Pilot's Iroshizuku inks. Mont Blanc makes some great inks, as does Pelikan.

For paper I've mostly used Tomoe River paper, which you can get loose or in notebooks. Right now I picked up a bunch of Seven Seas Writer journals. I like it, mostly -- it's very thin, so while there's no feathering or even bleed through, it's not really paper you can write on both sides of, and I like to fill my notebooks.

One of my favorite notebooks was an inexpensive one I got from Barnes & Noble that has a canvas cover.

I've heard great things about the Leuchtterm, and I think I have one somewhere, but I haven't used it. Moleskines, in my experience, feathered, but it might have been the ink or pen I was using.

Nibs are obviously more difficult to experiment with, as they mostly come with the pen itself (there are exceptions).

I highly recommend Goulet Pens, not just as a digital retailer but also as an educational resource. Their Nib Nook is terrific -- you can use a drop down to select several nib options so you can see how one pen's fine nib writes versus another brand's, or the difference between Pilot fine, fine-medium, and medium nibs.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Le Grand is a little too large for my hands; thus, I would recommend that you check for size, a size you are comfortable with, but, if you like Mont Blanc, I cannot recommend the Meisterstuck range highly enough.
[doublepost=1546305787][/doublepost]
I'd add that a good writing experience generally depends on three elements: the nib, the ink, and the paper.

It's generally easiest to experiment with inks and papers. I'm a big fan of Sailor's Jentle and Pilot's Iroshizuku inks. Mont Blanc makes some great inks, as does Pelikan.

For paper I've mostly used Tomoe River paper, which you can get loose or in notebooks. Right now I picked up a bunch of Seven Seas Writer journals. I like it, mostly -- it's very thin, so while there's no feathering or even bleed through, it's not really paper you can write on both sides of, and I like to fill my notebooks.

One of my favorite notebooks was an inexpensive one I got from Barnes & Noble that has a canvas cover.

I've heard great things about the Leuchtterm, and I think I have one somewhere, but I haven't used it. Moleskines, in my experience, feathered, but it might have been the ink or pen I was using.

Nibs are obviously more difficult to experiment with, as they mostly come with the pen itself (there are exceptions).

I highly recommend Goulet Pens, not just as a digital retailer but also as an educational resource. Their Nib Nook is terrific -- you can use a drop down to select several nib options so you can see how one pen's fine nib writes versus another brand's, or the difference between Pilot fine, fine-medium, and medium nibs.

I have never used Tomoe River paper, but it has come highly recommended from people/sources I rate, respect, and trust. I look forward to sourcing it and trying it out.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The fine nib Cross pen has arrived a short time ago. I tried it out on a half page in one of my journals and I think I will like the fine nib better than a medium nib.

The fine nib is the pen in the forefront and the medium in the background. Both very nice pens and I do enjoy them each. I think I have fallen into another rabbit hole of things to delight in.

IMG_8629.jpg

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
Both very nice pens and I do enjoy them each. I think I have fallen into another rabbit hole of things to delight in.

View attachment 814073

They are VERY nice. Gorgeous blue.

And ain't that the truth! Careful, though: this hole goes DEEP.

I just cleaned my pens to start the new year. I posted a picture to my Instagram. Let me see if I can cross post easily. For anyone otherwise interested in the meantime, my Instagram handle is the same as here in the forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
They are VERY nice. Gorgeous blue.

And ain't that the truth! Careful, though: this hole goes DEEP.

I just cleaned my pens to start the new year. I posted a picture to my Instagram. Let me see if I can cross post easily. For anyone otherwise interested in the meantime, my Instagram handle is the same as here in the forums.
Yes, deep indeed. I've seen some of the prices of pens and they're just as much as a maxed out iPhone XS or whatever the current model is (I have an 8 Plus so I don't pay close attention).

If you can post that photo here I'd like to see it. I used to have an Instagram account but I deleted it and I now block all Facebook properties.

I am digging these fountain pens to be sure. Last night I wrote a lot in my journal while using the newly arrived fine nib pen and it was quite a joy to do so, too.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Indeed, Shrink is a man of excellent taste, just as you are. He suggested I get a
Montblanc Meisterstück Resin Le Grand, however that's more than I wanted to spend on a first purchase with no experience. Perhaps one day I'll get one.

Try writing with one in an authorised dealer's so that you can "get" the feel of it and see for yourself whether you think it suits your hand; if your hands are reasonably large, the Mont Blanc Meisterstück Le Grand could suit you perfectly.

Now, while it is too large for me, my Meisterstück pens (the 144, 145) are perfect.

The fine nib Cross pen has arrived a short time ago. I tried it out on a half page in one of my journals and I think I will like the fine nib better than a medium nib.

The fine nib is the pen in the forefront and the medium in the background. Both very nice pens and I do enjoy them each. I think I have fallen into another rabbit hole of things to delight in.

View attachment 814073

Gorgeous; that blue is simply gorgeous.

And do enjoy using them. The fun of fountain pens is in the actual act of physically writing with them. My Mont Blancs are put to work daily.

Yes, deep indeed. I've seen some of the prices of pens and they're just as much as a maxed out iPhone XS or whatever the current model is (I have an 8 Plus so I don't pay close attention).

If you can post that photo here I'd like to see it. I used to have an Instagram account but I deleted it and I now block all Facebook properties.

I am digging these fountain pens to be sure. Last night I wrote a lot in my journal while using the newly arrived fine nib pen and it was quite a joy to do so, too.

The thing with fountain pens is that, if serviced and looked after properly, - and used regularly - they will last an awful lot longer than any iPhone; I have seen beautiful tortoise shell pens from the 1920s in antique shops, and, if serviced, they will still write perfectly well.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
...The thing with fountain pens is that, if serviced and looked after properly, - and used regularly - they will last an awful lot longer than any iPhone; I have seen beautiful tortoise shell pens from the 1920s in antique shops, and, if serviced, they will still write perfectly well.
So true!
Most Montblancs in my collection are from the 1970s, 80s and 90s. And they work perfectly, all of them.
I have been using them for more than 20-30 years.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
So true!
Most Montblancs in my collection are from the 1970s, 80s and 90s. And they work perfectly, all of them.
I have been using them for more than 20-30 years.

These pens are designed to work well as writing tools, designed to be sturdy (i.e. to be used - too many people use Mont Blancs as status symbols instead of using these exquisite writing instruments) and designed to last a long time.

Above all, they are beautifully balanced; there is no strain on my wrist as I write with one, no sense that I have to work at using this (which had been the case with some of the fountain pens I had used earlier).

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
IMG_2389.jpg

I hope this posts okay without messing up the thread size. If that occurs I'll delete and retry.

As promised, cleaned pens. I've seen rundowns requested so

Top row, from left are a Visconti Rembrandt Eclipse (EF), Visconti Rembrandt blue (F), Visconti Michelangelo Back to Black (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens Elegance (F), Pilot Custom 823 (F), Mont Blanc EAPoe (M), Sailor Kumpoo (F), Sailor Black Luster (F), Waterman Expert (F), and Pineider Grande Belezza Rodolite (F).

Middle, from left are Pilot Custom 92 (Soft MF), Pilot Custom 74 Blue (F), Pilot Custom 912 (F-flex), Namiki Metal Falcon (F), Levenger True Writer (F), Conklin Merlot (M), Conklin Stealth (M), Conklin Duraflex, Conklin Amber (F), Conklin Orange (Stub).

Bottom, from left are Lamy 2000 (EF), TWSBI Vac (F), Montegrappa Elmo (F), Esterbrook Estie Cobalt (F), Edison Collier Blue (F), Pelikan M605 Blue (F), Parker Sonnet Matte Black (F), Parker Urban (old) (F), Parker Urban (new) (F).

As you can see, I tend toward fine nibs.

Currently inked are the Lamy 2000 and Pelikan M605, mostly because I hadn't used either recently. The Pilot 823 is probably my favorite to write with, with the 92 a close second. And obviously love Visconti. Next up is most likely the Pineider and the Esterbrook, neither of which I've inked yet.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
View attachment 814400

I hope this posts okay without messing up the thread size. If that occurs I'll delete and retry.

As promised, cleaned pens. I've seen rundowns requested so

Top row, from left are a Visconti Rembrandt Eclipse (EF), Visconti Rembrandt blue (F), Visconti Michelangelo Back to Black (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens Elegance (F), Pilot Custom 823 (F), Mont Blanc EAPoe (M), Sailor Kumpoo (F), Sailor Black Luster (F), Waterman Expert (F), and Pineider Grande Belezza Rodolite (F).

Middle, from left are Pilot Custom 92 (Soft MF), Pilot Custom 74 Blue (F), Pilot Custom 912 (F-flex), Namiki Metal Falcon (F), Levenger True Writer (F), Conklin Merlot (M), Conklin Stealth (M), Conklin Duraflex, Conklin Amber (F), Conklin Orange (Stub).

Bottom, from left are Lamy 2000 (EF), TWSBI Vac (F), Montegrappa Elmo (F), Esterbrook Estie Cobalt (F), Edison Collier Blue (F), Pelikan M605 Blue (F), Parker Sonnet Matte Black (F), Parker Urban (old) (F), Parker Urban (new) (F).

As you can see, I tend toward fine nibs.

Currently inked are the Lamy 2000 and Pelikan M605, mostly because I hadn't used either recently. The Pilot 823 is probably my favorite to write with, with the 92 a close second. And obviously love Visconti. Next up is most likely the Pineider and the Esterbrook, neither of which I've inked yet.
Lovely collection you have. Looks like you still have room for one more!

When you wash a pen, is there any particular method you use, or just simply run water through it and let it dry?

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
Lovely collection you have. Looks like you still have room for one more!

When you wash a pen, is there any particular method you use, or just simply run water through it and let it dry?

Thank you! I've become quite fond of them, and use them often, though obviously some more than others. Conklin is a great, inexpensive choice for exploring different nib widths, but I don't use them all that often to actually write, e.g. I plan to change that this year, though, with a more frequent and diverse rotation.

And yes, I have a few on my radar, but they're all on the expensive side.

I used to ink several pens at once, which resulted in some of them sitting inked for longer periods of time and gunking up, so to speak. Especially when using some shimmer inks. Goulet Pens sells some Pen Flush fluids to use in those sorts of cases, but now I just use warm water. I use a converter to expel any leftover ink (usually nothing), dip the nib and draw in water, and then flush through a few times. Then remove the converter from the nib, soak both for a few seconds, dry the nib, flush some water through the converter a few times, and then leave the converter to dry.

There are most likely some YouTube tutorials on it. Goulet has a great channel, and I was a big fan of the Pen Habit.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Thank you! I've become quite fond of them, and use them often, though obviously some more than others. Conklin is a great, inexpensive choice for exploring different nib widths, but I don't use them all that often to actually write, e.g. I plan to change that this year, though, with a more frequent and diverse rotation.

And yes, I have a few on my radar, but they're all on the expensive side.

I used to ink several pens at once, which resulted in some of them sitting inked for longer periods of time and gunking up, so to speak. Especially when using some shimmer inks. Goulet Pens sells some Pen Flush fluids to use in those sorts of cases, but now I just use warm water. I use a converter to expel any leftover ink (usually nothing), dip the nib and draw in water, and then flush through a few times. Then remove the converter from the nib, soak both for a few seconds, dry the nib, flush some water through the converter a few times, and then leave the converter to dry.

There are most likely some YouTube tutorials on it. Goulet has a great channel, and I was a big fan of the Pen Habit.
Excellent, thank you for that.

May I inquire as to what sort of things you write while using fountains? Journals, books, short stories or just signing documents and the sort.

I ask because of my curiosity of fountain pen users and collectors. Being that so much is done on computers anymore, I wonder what things people use ink and paper for these days - minus art and calligraphy and whatnot.

For me, as of recently, I've taken to moving to handwritten daily journals. I used to keep a journal on the computer which I typed, but I wanted to get back to the art and craft of actual handwriting again. That is how I came to investigate fountain pens.

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
May I inquire as to what sort of things you write while using fountains? Journals, books, short stories or just signing documents and the sort.

Sure ya can! Though I'm inclined to make a joke that I use them solely to sign my name to checks. But everything's electronic nowadays.

Which is why I like to use pens. I'm a novelist. And a publisher. I write a lot in Pages using my Mac mini or an iPad, but I've found if that's slow going or I'm too distracted by the internet, I switch over to pen and paper for a while. It doesn't take too long to transcribe a chapter (or three).

As a publisher, I lay out books and then use a pen to edit. Usually in a nice teal. It's less jarring to see suggestions in blue than to see swaths of edits so deep they look like the story started bleeding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.