Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn expects its main iPhone plant in China to resume full production around late December to early January, following worker unrest last month that disrupted the factory.

foxconn.jpeg

"The situation has stabilized," a Foxconn source told Reuters, referring to the protests in Zhengzhou and the government's easing of COVID restrictions.
"The local government is actively helping with the resumption. The capacity is now being gradually resumed with new staff hiring under way. If the recruitment goes smoothly, it could take around three to four weeks to resume full production," the person said.
"At present, the overall epidemic situation has been brought under control with November being the most affected period," the company later said in a statement, adding it has started to recruit new employees and was gradually "restoring production capacity to normal."

The Zhengzhou plant, which employs about 200,000 people, was hit by stringent COVID-19 restrictions last month after an outbreak at the factory, which led the city of about 10 million people to be locked down. Riots soon broke out as workers protested over living standards and a failure to pay promised bonuses, which Foxconn put down to a "technical error" when hiring new recruits.

The Zhengzhou plant is Foxconn's biggest ‌iPhone‌ factory with around 200,000 workers. Foxconn is responsible for assembling around 70% of the iPhones that Apple sells, but it has been struggling to keep employees on site due to the lockdowns, with some reports suggesting output could fall by as much as 30%. Foxconn on Monday reported sales for November were actually down 11.4% from the prior year and said it expects the fourth quarter to be "roughly in line with market consensus."

iPhone 14 Pro models currently face at least a four-week shipping delay on Apple's online store in the U.S. as the company struggles to maintain supply.

Article Link: Foxconn's Main iPhone Factory Could Resume Full Production by Late December

Last edited:

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
This is excellent news but the holidays will be over and it is better to wait for a new iPhone SE and new color iPhone that will be coming in March.

Hahaha What are you even talking about. Oh ye I’ll wait for the iPhone SE instead of getting the new iPhone 14 Pro thanks for the advice. Seems like a good plan… LMAO!! 🤣🤣🤣

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
What does this mean exactly? 🤔
I recall one explanation was related to a data entry issue.

In a statement Thursday, Foxconn said it fully understood the new recruits’ concerns about “possible changes in the subsidy policy,” which it blamed on “a technical error (that) occurred during the onboarding process.”

“We apologize for an input error in the computer system and guarantee that the actual pay is the same as agreed,” it said.

Foxconn was communicating with employees and assuring them that salaries and bonuses would be paid “in accordance with company policies,” it said.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Nothing to see here. Just garden variety oppression of the Chinese people by The Party under the guide of a "medical emergency". Have you woken up from the ruling class' lies yet?
Except they can’t? censorship goes far above and beyond. I’m not Going to be terribly surprised if all citizens are being mind controlled.
There’s gonna be some external factors to bring actual changes, something CCP love to accuse “foreign influence”.

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
Except they can’t? censorship goes far above and beyond. I’m not Going to be terribly surprised if all citizens are being mind controlled.
There’s gonna be some external factors to bring actual changes, something CCP love to accuse “foreign influence”.
Mind control? Give me a break. The Chinese censorship machine is far from perfect, as has been seen many times. It all depends; on where it is, what's it's directed against and how much there is.

As for external factors, well... I can't recall many examples of strong democracies, say, resulting from external factors (although Germany is a good one). There are several examples to the contrary, unfortunately.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Nothing to see here. Just garden variety oppression of the Chinese people by The Party under the guide of a "medical emergency". Have you woken up from the ruling class' lies yet?
A garden variety oppression would be to keep the factory running during a pandemic and covering up the vast number of the infected as the medical system collapses. Now I'm not saying the CCP's heavy handed approach (now that there are vaccines) is the right way to do it, but to accuse it of doing this just for the sake of oppression is illogical, since it achieves the opposite of keeping people in line. It quite obviously invite economic slowdowns and growing dissent among citizens with the ruling class having little in terms of economic or political gain to get from it.

Reactions: tongxinshe and R3k

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
After having actually worked in China, and having spent time in incomprehensively massive factories (as a consultant, thank God), I can say with reasonable confidence that workers there are absolute chattel that get ground up and spit out, with little to no value. Working in any legit capacity here in the western world is immeasurably better.

Those press release-type pronouncements from the government/corporate representatives are as ominous and inhuman as they sound. I pray there is a trend to move more manufacturing away from China and the people understand and reject the position their communist overlords force them into.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
After having actually worked in China, and having spent time in incomprehensively massive factories (as a consultant, thank God), I can say with reasonable confidence that workers there are absolute chattel that get ground up and spit out, with little to no value. Working in any legit capacity here in the western world is immeasurably better.

Those press release-type pronouncements from the government/corporate representatives are as ominous and inhuman as they sound. I pray there is a trend to move more manufacturing away from China and the people understand and reject the position their communist overlords force them into.
My dad spent considerable time in China in the 90s and 2000s and that was his experience as well. Literally the people are treated like worker droids. No rights. Absolutely dystopian living conditions.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
It boggles my mind why a stand-up company like Apple, who seems to care about human rights, continues to do massive amounts of business in a country like China and with a company like Foxconn. It must be a juggle to keep making massive profits at the expense of the people who build their products under such conditions. I wonder that, instead of abused Chinese workers it were child labor, would Apple do something?

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021

I have similar experience and you are spot on.

I’ve also had the “pleasure“ of working under a Chinese nationalist that came to the States to run a business in a market where ”the big red machine” isn’t appreciated. Workers in America were treated the same, didn’t matter the position or salary.

Both the employees and customers were turned off from the appointment. Sales tanked and people with 30 plus years of working in the industry left. I’ll never forget the week when 110 years of experience left. The company was eventually sold and pretty much is a shell of its former self.

DownUnderDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2018
Hobart Australia
Hahaha What are you even talking about. Oh ye I’ll wait for the iPhone SE instead of getting the new iPhone 14 Pro thanks for the advice. Seems like a good plan… LMAO!! 🤣🤣🤣
You know that guy who doesn't seem impressed with your iPhone 14 every-time you go somewhere? Yeah thats me or someone like me. No, we aren't faking it and no we aren't just jealous. We really don't care about your phone, but we do notice how you behave. That gets our attention.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
"The local government is actively helping with the resumption. The capacity is now being gradually resumed with new staff hiring under way. If the recruitment goes smoothly, it could take around three to four weeks to resume full production," the person said.
Maybe the local government is making forced internships at the Foxconn factory as a requirement for students' graduation at more schools.

That is one way to fill those spots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.