Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How likely are you to recommend foxPEP to a friend, colleague, or associate?

• Likely

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
I have installed TenFourFox (FPR19) and foxPEP 1.8.1 on my PowerBook G4 12" running Tiger and it has made such a huge difference to browsing performance. Kudos @z970mp!

• Love
Reactions: z970

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Apparantly I hadn't updated my G5 in a long time , I was running TFF-FPR5beta :)

Must have spend 2019 almost entirely on my Windows10 X220 for Altirra (8bit Atari emulator) and my 8bit Atari's.

Just installed foxPEP onto TFF-FPR19 ,but as a reminder , why can't I watch Youtube in TFF again ?

Do I still have to install GreaseMonkey + Viewtube ?

Scrolling is indeed way snappier and these forum pages load a lot faster on the G5.

Off-topic LWK hasn't been resumed ? Still at 604.5.6_2 from June 2018 ?

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Lastic You can indeed watch YouTube in TFF, but just make sure to install the MP4 enabler first, which is required for watching with foxPEP.

Depending on your processor speed, you may be able to go up to 720p HD. Otherwise, 480p should always maintain a comfortable frame rate on all G5s w/ foxPEP installed.

Alternatively, there is @wicknix's TenFiveTube for a more straightforward option.

Reactions: Lastic

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Public Service Announcement: As a reminder, because foxPEP only accepts faster MP4 streams from YouTube, you will need the TenFourFox MP4 Enabler, which is only compatible with FPR14 and up, running on 1.25 G4 / G5 systems and up, to watch YouTube in-browser w/ foxPEP. Unfortunately, this requirement leaves out IceWeasel-PPC, which is currently based on FPR13, as incompatible for video playing w/ foxPEP. Therefore, foxPEP remains compatible with TenFourFox versions FPR14 and up for all media streaming, and nothing below. PowerPC systems that do not meet the 1.25 G4 requirement are suggested to turn to other media-streaming solutions, such as TenFiveTube, or PowerPC Media Center 7.

-

Some may have noticed that foxPEP currently makes Arctic Fox on Linux crash upon startup. The offending preferences, belonging to the Fluidity Engine, are the following and must be manually removed by the user prior to installing in the Arctic Fox profile folder.

user_pref("gfx.canvas.azure.backends", "cg,skia,cairo");
user_pref("gfx.content.azure.backends", "cg,skia,cairo");

Possibly, this is due to a conflicting compilation option in Arctic Fox for Linux, which when combined with the above preferences, prevents the browser from properly initializing. Removing the above preferences removes the confliction and allows the browser to proceed normally.

Thank you.

Reactions: wicknix

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi z970mp,

Using foxPEP with multi core / cpu systems.
Benefits?

Best regards,
voidRunner

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@vddrnnr Theoretically, the advantage is that every operation should be faster because the workload should be divided between the multiple cores (CPUs) available.

So certainly, there should at least be a marked improvement in site loading and content rendering when multiple cores are available to the system's disposal, as opposed to just one (assuming clockspeeds are consistent).

Either way, it will work exceedingly well. :)

Hope I was helpful.

tglaria

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2020
Hi all, I just got here trying to get better performance on an old laptop.
I use to work with GoogleDocs spreadsheets but after installing this, I just can't use the 'right click' button on any cell on the spreadsheet: instead of opening the Google Spreadsheet menu (add cell, format, paste, etc) it opens the firefox webbrowser menu (Select all, view source, inspect element, etc) on top of the Google Spreadsheet menu.

Is this expected?
Do you know which tweak could be the source of this problem?

Regards.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I use to work with GoogleDocs spreadsheets but after installing this, I just can't use the 'right click' button on any cell on the spreadsheet: instead of opening the Google Spreadsheet menu (add cell, format, paste, etc) it opens the firefox webbrowser menu (Select all, view source, inspect element, etc) on top of the Google Spreadsheet menu.

Is this expected?

Regards.

I've just tested my TFF with Google Sheets and the right click is present.
My own prefs are customised to my needs and I personally find them better than foxPEP - you are free to use them but I offer no guarantees etc.

Attachments

• prefs.js.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 189
Reactions: tglaria

tglaria

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2020
I've just tested my TFF with Google Sheets and the right click is present.
My own prefs are customised to my needs and I personally find them better than foxPEP - you are free to use them but I offer no guarantees etc.
Well, that fixed it.
I wonder which parameter was the one that produced the problem in GoogleSheets :s

Reactions: Dronecatcher

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017

Is this expected?

Regards.

Hi there,

Enter into the address bar about:config, search for the preference dom.event.contextmenu.enabled, and double-click it to set it back to the true default. Restart the browser, then give Google Docs another try.

If I may ask, which browser, version, and OS are you experiencing this behavior on? And does foxPEP indeed present an otherwise positive performance improvement to Web navigation?

Thank you very much!

tglaria

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2020
Hi there,

Enter into the address bar about:config, search for the preference dom.event.contextmenu.enabled, and double-click it to set it back to the true default. Restart the browser, then give Google Docs another try.
That fixed it.
I'll keep testing.

If I may ask, which browser, version, and OS are you experiencing this behavior on? And does foxPEP indeed present an otherwise positive performance improvement to Web navigation?

Thank you very much!
I'm testing it on Firefox v75.0b11 (64-bit) on Windows 10.
So far I'm not having a positive performance, mainly because of some webpages (from my bank) which are not working correctly, but I don't know (right now) if it's because of these modifications or something else.

I want to try this ¿script? on an old laptop (2GB of RAM) with Arch linux.
I guess then I'll see if it's working good or not (because of the lower resources and it would be a clean Firefox install).

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
What the.......?

When you told me to use FoxPEP I thought you were maybe shamelessly promoting some script you wrote thinking it was some great programming code that people should pay attention to but in reality it will produce a malfunctioning browser with hardly 5% improvement.

This turned my FF lightening fast, like the difference from moving from HDD to SSD. Care to tell me briefly what is this and how does it do this?

Why not just use it even on fast hardware if its going to improve the performance?

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@MacBH928 Sure. It's essentially a pre-set configuration script that modifies advanced settings within the browser not normally pictured to the end user. (you can still tell the browser to present said settings by entering into the address bar about:config)

The project was started as a fork of the UOC Patch with the additional goals of user accessibility, a no-compromise compatibility model, security with the user's best interests in mind, and absolute maximum browsing performance. At its current and beginning stages, it was targeted for disadvantaged hardware simply because that's where it proved most useful.

In essence, the settings within the script tell the browser exactly how it should load websites, how it should render embedded content, how it should scroll the webpage when an input is received, how it should economically allocate disk and memory usage, and how to use other built-in features and services so that the user's personal privacy and browsing security may be enhanced and outright hardened in a digital climate where it is endlessly, shamefully disrespected.

A deeper analysis of the script's precise actions are provided in the foxPEP Wiki, which is available for review within post #1, or as a PDF file included with the download on offer.

As for faster and more widespread hardware, I am currently allowing the script as much time to mature as possible in order to prove itself stable, reliable, and bulletproof enough for even mission-critical scenarios before releasing it to the masses on Reddit, among other sites. And as far as I'm aware, every download lacking an accompanying inquiry or complaint is another use case where the script filled the job description with zero issue.

So the roadmap certainly seems to be coming along, if that more or less answers your question. :)

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
@MacBH928 Sure. It's essentially a pre-set configuration script that modifies advanced settings within the browser not normally pictured to the end user. (you can still tell the browser to present said settings by entering into the address bar about:config)

The project was started as a fork of the UOC Patch with the additional goals of user accessibility, a no-compromise compatibility model, security with the user's best interests in mind, and absolute maximum browsing performance. At its current and beginning stages, it was targeted for disadvantaged hardware simply because that's where it proved most useful.

In essence, the settings within the script tell the browser exactly how it should load websites, how it should render embedded content, how it should scroll the webpage when an input is received, how it should economically allocate disk and memory usage, and how to use other built-in features and services so that the user's personal privacy and browsing security may be enhanced and outright hardened in a digital climate where it is endlessly, shamefully disrespected.

A deeper analysis of the script's precise actions are provided in the foxPEP Wiki, which is available within post #1, or as a PDF file included with the download on offer.

As for faster and more widespread hardware, I am currently allowing the script as much time to mature as possible in order to prove itself stable, reliable, and bulletproof enough for even mission-critical scenarios before releasing it to the masses on Reddit, among other sites. And as far as I'm aware, every download lacking an accompanying inquiry or complaint is another use case where the script filled the job description with zero issue.

So the roadmap certainly seems to be coming along, if that more or less answers your question. :)

I am just surprised it can become so much faster just by tweaking, why didn't the open source community programmers behind Mozilla released this as the default settings. Browser makers are always pushing forward to make their software faster and snappier. I believe they actually rewrote FireFox to achieve this a couple years ago.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
foxPEP version 1.9 has been released!

1.9 brings many new advancements, including (but not limited to):

o Major rendering performance improvements

o Server connection speed improvements

o Site and browser compatibility improvements

o Better resource efficiency

o Comprehensive line cleanup (leaner script)

Throw it at everything you've got!

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
foxPEP has received a minor update to 1.9.1.

1.9.1 brings an improved Read Me with no changes to the script itself.

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
I finally took the plunge and threw Macbuntu 12 Remix on my Powerbook, and so far the experience is looking great. :) So, this morning I tried to install FoxPep 1.9.1 on ArcticFox, but when I copy the prefs.js over, the browser will not start. No error message, just click it, bounces in the dock, then nothing. Copying back the old prefs.js lets it start again with no problem. Any idea what may be going on or what I can do to debug?

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Some may have noticed that foxPEP currently makes Arctic Fox on Linux crash upon startup. The offending preferences, belonging to the Fluidity Engine, are the following and must be manually removed by the user prior to installing in the Arctic Fox profile folder.

user_pref("gfx.canvas.azure.backends", "cg,skia,cairo");
user_pref("gfx.content.azure.backends", "cg,skia,cairo");

Possibly, this is due to a conflicting compilation option in Arctic Fox for Linux, which when combined with the above preferences, prevents the browser from properly initializing. Removing the above preferences removes the confliction and allows the browser to proceed normally.

The aforementioned pararmeters are too integral to content / canvas smoothness on most all other browsers on all other platforms, which is why they continue to remain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.