Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There is firmware in the MagSafe cable. I just recently did an update. So it may be technically possible. I also think the NBC News article was sprinkled with a lot of sensationalism. The UEFI boot BIOS was thought to be very secure. Yet is has been compromised on some MSI motherboards.

No, it isn't technically possible.

MagSafe does not transmit data. It has no ability to do so. It relies on NFC.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Macrumor’s wording here is a bit of a misrepresentation. HOP is critiquing that the self-service repair kit is very expensive and inconveniently heavy (79 lbs in total), which discourages its use. This is a fair criticism. They don’t tie it directly to a negative environmental impact.

Not to mention you have to put down a $1,200 deposit. Assuming everyone has that kind of money, you're still screwed if you or UPS loses a part of the toolkit.

Nobody is going to take a $1,200 gamble on DIY to replace a battery themselves using Apple's Self Repair.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
The issue at hand is not "planned obsolescence ", which is defined as the practice of designing products to break quickly or become obsolete in the short to mid-term. Considering how long most Apple products last and are supported, the company arguably does the exact opposite.
This is what drives me nuts, everything Apple does is planned obsolescence even though their phones are supported by Apple for the longest and last years.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Apple is getting busted...

Maybe they will have to release a software update to allow any third party part. Imagine if they need to do it on every single phone they did this with...

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Brother printers are almost as bad.

I have a Brother Color laser. The fusing drum failed when it developed a tear. The printer was under warranty. Before Brother would send the part and authorize the repair it was necessary for me to provide the serial number of the toner cartridge and the imaging roller. Brother needed to make certain that only Brother parts were used before they would authorize any repair under warranty.

Using third party toner cartridges or imaging rollers voids any warranty and Brother will not provide parts to repair the printer.
That makes sense to me for warranty repairs. But after the warranty period, or if you don’t care about voiding the warranty, you should be able to source components from third parties and/or from other devices at your own discretion.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Reminds me of the printer industry. More and more DRM with every generation of hardware. They asked consumers to ship empty cartridges back, just to destroy them and reduce the availability of third-party and re-manufactured parts. Current HP printers now need a constant Internet connection to accept a print job.
This isn't the same. This example would be valid if I could only use Apple power to change my phone.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
MagSafe does not transmit data. It has no ability to do so. It relies on NFC.
Then how does the Mac update firmware in the cable without transmitting data? NFC transmits and receives data. Can that be compromised? The MagSafe plugs into USB-C. USB-C is used to transfer data. Can that be compromised? Who knows. A lot of “secure” items have been compromised.

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
It's all about the option to do as you wish. You don't have to repair it yourself, but you could be empowered to do it yourself.
Yeah, let me get right on destroying the device because I don't know what I am doing and some step by step video is not gonna help me learn how to do it myself. If that were true, everyone would be learning to cook, build a house, etc. All over YouTube are step by step instructional videos.

Have fun doing it yourself. I and the rest of us are just gonna pay an experienced professional

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
The EU has had their guns drawn at Apple for too long! Protectionism & nationalism disguised as consumer advocacy. All American companies take note!
Actually, although I support free trade this is beginning to look like Europens taking aim at a US company. Perhaps Apple should ask the US government for retaliatory measures like tariffs.

Reactions: psingh01

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
I would never take my phone to anyone but Apple to repair.
I agree.

Just like people used to mod consoles by soldering chips in order to play pirated games, I can imagine third-party repair shops (particularly in the developing world) installing tiny chips to steal your bank accounts or other sensitive data

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
So you are okay locking the repair into "Apple only" supplied new parts.

Apple's definition of "unauthorized".
Yep, otherwise you get crappy sub standard third party parts that don’t work right. If this is a big deal to you, go android and learn to love malware. (Not making this up, read hackernews,lots and lots of bad software, even comes preonstalled for your convenience)

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Apple is getting busted...

Maybe they will have to release a software update to allow any third party part. Imagine if they need to do it on every single phone they did this with...

That would never hold up in court.

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
... except for the low-RAM iPhones and iPads that, in just few years after launched, became obsolete in the past due to the lack of enough RAM.
I remember my first gen iPad came with an a4 which had half the ram of the iPhone a4 that came out 3 months later. That iPad got 2 major software updates before Apple abandoned it and it ran terribly on iOS 5 when it shipped on iOS 3.2 ( which many of the features that came with iOS 4 were already on 3.2 for the iPad) needless to say I’ve learned not to buy first gen apple products

MNGR

Contributor
Sep 17, 2019
I see the serial number as a tool for getting the right part. But Apple goes too far with locking down functionality. Anyone else do this?
How else would you assess that the replacement part is functionally equivalent ?
And when it doesn’t work, who will get sued? Apple of course.

Reactions: lightman_73

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Due to Apple’s control over the iPhone market (monopoly control over all iPhones), there is a very real possibility at ANY time that Apple could produce an iPhone that chops off the fingers of the user when they turn on the device. Now, this would adversely impact their sales and, effectively, mean the end of the iPhone altogether. BUT, as it’s a thing I can think of that MIGHT happen, we have to act as it’s a foregone conclusion that they WILL do this.

MNGR

Contributor
Sep 17, 2019
How else would you assess that the replacement part is functionally equivalent ?
And when it doesn’t work, who will get sued? Apple of course.
I had to replace the motor in my recliner. Looked the same, wired differently. So up was dowbln, down was up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.